Should I be concerned...?

Started by Arun, June 09, 2015, 08:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arun

So I took the kids to this park, and my phone made a noise. All my notifications make the same noise, so I check it and it says "Open WiFi network available".
I went to check what WiFi was available, and the first thing that comes up on the list says "SIS Surveillance" no shit.
I've had another phone that played up real bad and wouldn't receive txts that had been sent until ages after they had been sent which somebody suggested may have been being surveillanced but never seen anything like this before. Anybody got any ideas as to wtf this may be, what if anything I can do about it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Security_Intelligence_Service That's who the SIS is for those who don't know.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

OCLittleFlower

It's an ongoing joke to name your Wifi "FBI surveillance van" or something like that to mess with the neighbors.

A real surveillance van wouldn't be labeled such...
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Gardener

It's not uncommon here for people to name their wifi networks things like "FBI Van" or "NSA".

I can't imagine that SIS would be so stupid as to name their stuff SIS Surveillance. If anything, they'd name it Public Wifi or Kiwi Kafe or any other number of believable things if their intention was to packet sniff traffic on it. Or, they'd simply not broadcast their SSID (wifi name) and have it under heavy security if it was for their own equipment and not public use.

FWIW, a person can make their laptop or cellphone into a hotspot, and name it whatever they want. This is one of the ways you can run an "evil twin" in an area with a lot of wifi activity. Example:

I'm in a city with a lot of tourists. They don't want to pay roaming charges for data, and see "Starbucks" pop up as a wifi option. Well, who doesn't love free Starbucks wifi? So they get on. I have a captive portal setup where it looks like a starbucks webpage. It asks for their email for coupon offers and features a decline option which states they can still use the connection if they decline. Or I have it set up where they can register for special offers like free coffee. They either enter their email, or create an quick account (which will likely have the same password as their other accounts), and bam, they're legitimately surfing the net. I'm stealing everything. AND I have their likely password, potentially.

So, don't connect, but don't think the stink is wanting to watch your SD posts either.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Arun

Yeah I figured it would be a prank or something, my WiFi at home comes up Malware Detected lol, but it was only there for a second then disappeared plus having been under surveillance before by the police I sort of wasn't too sure...

It didn't say "van" just SIS Surveillance.

Also I figured they wouldn't label it like that, just was something I never seen before. Phew lol.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Gardener

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

LausTibiChriste

I name mine Bill Wi the Science Fi
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Lynne

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on June 10, 2015, 03:13:07 PM
I name mine Bill Wi the Science Fi

Witty!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace