Last movie you saw?

Started by tmw89, December 27, 2012, 03:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Larry

The Passion of the Christ. Tomorrow I wrap up my Lenten religious movie viewing with the last part of Jesus of Nazareth.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

MilesChristi

The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

piabee

Quote from: Larry on April 10, 2014, 09:05:02 AM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 09, 2014, 04:11:20 PM
Thus far no one has mentioned the best Pontius Pilate in all of cinema: David Bowie.

Bowie was great

Can you post a clip?

Larry

Quote from: piabee on April 18, 2014, 11:23:33 PM
Quote from: Larry on April 10, 2014, 09:05:02 AM
Quote from: Pon de Replay on April 09, 2014, 04:11:20 PM
Thus far no one has mentioned the best Pontius Pilate in all of cinema: David Bowie.

Bowie was great

Can you post a clip?

It's from a film that is considered sacrilegious, so it probably wouldn't go over well here. The scene with Bowie is not sacrilegious though.

Older Salt

Captain America.

Kind of weak and boring.
Stay away from the near occasion of sin

Unless one is deeply attached to the Blessed Virgin Mary, now in time, it impossible to attain salvation.

Michael Wilson

47 Ronin.
Pretty good; I liked the movie but didn't like the exaltation of the Japanese code of Bushido.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Larry

Quote from: Older Salt on April 19, 2014, 10:28:29 AM
Captain America.

Kind of weak and boring.

The new one, or the first? I liked both, but I really enjoyed the second. I'm seeing it again on Monday with a friend who wants to see it.

Larry

After watching Jesus of Nazareth and The Passion of the Christ so close together, I think I've switched my definitive Christ film from Gibson's to Zeffirelli's. Both are great, but I was really moved by JON this year. For some reason, The Passion just made me numb when I watched it; I only felt very deeply when Our Lord was rejected by the Sanhedrin, and the scenes where Our Lady laments at the scourging, and when She meets Him on the Via Dolorosa. I think I need to skip watching it for the next few years.

Petrie

Quote from: Larry on April 19, 2014, 09:45:28 PM
After watching Jesus of Nazareth and The Passion of the Christ so close together, I think I've switched my definitive Christ film from Gibson's to Zeffirelli's. Both are great, but I was really moved by JON this year. For some reason, The Passion just made me numb when I watched it; I only felt very deeply when Our Lord was rejected by the Sanhedrin, and the scenes where Our Lady laments at the scourging, and when She meets Him on the Via Dolorosa. I think I need to skip watching it for the next few years.

I have a hard time choosing between the two because they are so different.  I think they are definitive in their own ways.  However, I have not seen the latter in quite some time, so I would like to do that next year.
Also known as 2Vermont in case you were wondering :-)

Cesar_Augustus

The Passion of the Christ.

Adeodatus

Quote from: Michael Wilson on April 19, 2014, 12:27:20 PM
but didn't like the exaltation of the Japanese code of Bushido.

Really? Bushido is the most valuable Eastern philosophy I can think of.

The way of the warrior is to consider oneself as dead so that one can serve his master with absolute loyalty. While one cannot adopt Bushido as it stands, there is much of value for a Christian to mine from this material. Consider that your daimyo is Jesus Christ and reread the texts.

I often have a copy of Yamamoto Tsunetomo's book close at hand.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad

Heinrich

Quote from: Adeodatus on April 20, 2014, 08:41:52 PM

The way of the warrior is to consider oneself as dead so that one can serve his master with absolute loyalty. While one cannot adopt Bushido as it stands, there is much of value for a Christian to mine from this material. Consider that your daimyo is Jesus Christ and reread the texts.

Yeah, cutting off innocent heads and taking their rice. Real good stuff to emulate there.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Arun

when i was training with the Bujinkan i tried very hard to reocncile the two concepts. i wasn't able to in the end.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Adeodatus

Quote from: Arun on April 21, 2014, 09:37:01 PM

when i was training with the Bujinkan i tried very hard to reocncile the two concepts. i wasn't able to in the end.

I don't advocate "reconciliation". As Tsunetomo himself says, "It is bad when one thing becomes two." He goes on to say that the study of another way should not confuse the practice of your way, but strengthen you in it. This is sound advice. Bushido as it stands is a pagan philosophy, and so in one way is no different than the works of Plato or Aristotle (though it's not as deep as those in many ways). However, as St. Augustine reminds us, we may plunder the wisdom of the pagans just as the Hebrews plundered the treasures of Egypt.

Bushido has much to offer the Christian. It is a doctrine of putting one's master first, of absolute loyalty, of avoiding negligence, of being dead to the self so that one may strive to the utmost in the service of one's lord. But the point of studying Bushido is to become a better Christian, not to practice Bushido.
¡Viva Cristo Rey!
Sh'ma Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai E?ad