Hello

Started by CF Mathews, September 21, 2020, 12:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CF Mathews

What brings you to SD?  Want to share ideas with other trads.

Why did you choose your username and avatar?  I don't wish to be anonymous, my avatar describes who I am and what I represent, I am devoted to St. Hildegard and St. Francis, both of whom had a great love for nature.

What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning?  I have been married for 25 years (I am a woman, btw).  God gave us only one beautiful child, who is now grown.

Whereabouts do you live "in real life"?  Long Island, New York

Favorite movies?  As I grow spiritually, there are very few movies I can stomach.  I am continually detaching from the world.  I hope one day to be completely detached.

Have any hobbies?  I am too obsessed with survival at this point to think of anything else.

Pet peeves:  Peeps who poke at details without looking at the overall message.

Fun random fact about yourself:  I like weird ideas that stretch your imagination.  I will listen to any crazy idea for 5 minutes (that's how I became a trad-so much for trads being closed-minded people!).  Examples: flat earth, mandela effect, aliens-that's not to say I agree with them all.

Last thing:  In the wake of the past 6 months, I believe Catholics need to come together and do some major problem-solving.  I hope to be a part of that.  I believe, due to my research over decades, I have something to contribute in these matters before us.  I look forward to making new friends here!

Jayne

Welcome to the forum, CF Mathews.  I too have noticed myself changing my taste in movies and entertainment.  I hope it is a sign of this detachment from the world that you are talking about.

I hope that you have a good experience of Suscipe Domine.

edit:  There is a subforum for female members only that you can join by asking Kaesekopf, the owner/moderator.  It is not very active now, but we have had good discussions there in the past.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

CF Mathews

Quote from: Jayne on September 21, 2020, 12:48:43 PM
Welcome to the forum, CF Mathews.  I too have noticed myself changing my taste in movies and entertainment.  I hope it is a sign of this detachment from the world that you are talking about.

I hope that you have a good experience of Suscipe Domine.

edit:  There is a subforum for female members only that you can join by asking Kaesekopf, the owner/moderator.  It is not very active now, but we have had good discussions there in the past.

Thanks so much!  Please note, the smiley on my thread is not wearing a mask!

Jayne

Quote from: CF Mathews on September 21, 2020, 03:10:16 PM

That will please some people here.  Personally, I don't have strong feelings about masks either way, but you will be able to find plenty of company if you (or your smiley) are opposed to masks.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

CF Mathews

Quote from: Jayne on September 21, 2020, 03:35:15 PM
Quote from: CF Mathews on September 21, 2020, 03:10:16 PM

That will please some people here.  Personally, I don't have strong feelings about masks either way, but you will be able to find plenty of company if you (or your smiley) are opposed to masks.

I just did a bigtime rant about it on one of the threads.  It felt so cathartic!

Heinrich

Welcome.

What's the 'mandela effect'?

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

Quote from: Heinrich on September 21, 2020, 06:37:43 PM
What's the 'mandela effect'?

Shared memory of an event that didn't actually happen.

QuoteIn 2010 this shared false memory phenomenon was dubbed the Mandela effect by self-described "paranormal consultant" Fiona Broome in reference to her false memory of the death of South African anti-Apartheid leader Nelson Mandela in prison in the 1980s (he actually died in 2013, after having served as President of South Africa from 1994-99), which she claimed was shared by "perhaps thousands" of other people.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis