Need Help!

Started by Heinrich, November 30, 2015, 06:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinrich

We are moving. On a bookshelf a steady stack of old church bulletins, broken scapulars, rosaries, duplicate prayer cards, blessed palms, etc. has been piling up. I am not sure how to dispose of these items. I have heard that they can be burnt, but I want to make 100% sure I am honoring sacred images and items, albeit ones that are no longer of use. Any links, anecdotes, references, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

dymphna17

It's my understanding that blessed items need to be buried or burned, but the rest can just be burned or thrown out.  Will you be staying in Colorado?

Edited for new clarified information.
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Heinrich on November 30, 2015, 06:40:20 PM
We are moving. On a bookshelf a steady stack of old church bulletins, broken scapulars, rosaries, duplicate prayer cards, blessed palms, etc. has been piling up. I am not sure how to dispose of these items. I have heard that they can be burnt, but I want to make 100% sure I am honoring sacred images and items, albeit ones that are no longer of use. Any links, anecdotes, references, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Toss the bulletins, they aren't all that special.

Burn the scapulars, prayer cards, palms.  Bury the rosaries (unless cloth, in which case, burn 'em).
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Heinrich

Quote from: dymphna17 on November 30, 2015, 06:54:33 PM
It's my understanding that blessed items need to be buried, but the rest can be burned.  Will you be staying in Colorado?

Yes. Staying in colorful Colorado. Springs. A few ZIP codes north from present location.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Lynne

Why are you getting rid of prayer cards? If you really want to get rid of them, I'll buy them from you...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Heinrich

Quote from: Lynne on December 01, 2015, 07:50:05 PM
Why are you getting rid of prayer cards? If you really want to get rid of them, I'll buy them from you...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

We have plenty of the same. If you have a PO box or want me to send them to your parish addressed to you, I would be happy to send them. No charge. PM me if interested.

GloriaPatri

You can definitely just recycle the Church bulletins (I'm presuming they're just plain paper). Burn the prayer cards and palms, and if possible restore the scapulars and rosaries. That way you can gift them out to friends and family (they'll have to be re-blessed of course).

dolores

As others have stated, if an item has been blessed, it should be burned, and its ashes then buried.  If an item cannot be burned, then simply bury it.  The idea is that items that have been dedicated to God should be returned to God.  Under no circumstances should a blessed object simply be thrown in the trash.  Your chapel may be interested in your old palms; the ashes that are distributed on Ash Wednesday come from previous years' palms.

As far old bulletins, there is nothing special about them (unless for some reason they have been blessed).  Dispose of them as your would a newspaper.

red solo cup

I use the palms to make St. Bridget crosses.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Elizabeth

Burn or bury.  The bulletins are not sacramentals, so they may just go into the recycle bin.

Don't we all have palms and what not everywhere that we keep meaning to burn or turn in for Ash Wednesday?

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Elizabeth on December 04, 2015, 09:33:39 AM
Burn or bury.  The bulletins are not sacramentals, so they may just go into the recycle bin.

Don't we all have palms and what not everywhere that we keep meaning to burn or turn in for Ash Wednesday?

Yep!  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

Quote from: Elizabeth on December 04, 2015, 09:33:39 AM

Tell me about it! As if my own weren't enough, now I have the ones that the former owners of our house stuffed up on the top shelf of their bedroom closet! I found them when I was cleaning the closet out after my grandma died. Talk about weird! The REALLY crazy thing is, there was an owner between the original Catholic owners and my aunt, which means that those palms were up there unnoticed for about 25 years. :/
My Lord and my God.