What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eliza

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on March 23, 2013, 06:44:46 PM
The Eternal Woman by Gertrude Von Le Fort.  Excellent so far.

Yeah, it's a great book.

If you like that one, you'd probably like "the privilege of being a woman" by Alice Von Hildebrand. I have read bits and pieces of it, but I intend to read it in its entirety soon.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Eliza on March 23, 2013, 10:14:34 PM
Quote from: maryslittlegarden on March 23, 2013, 06:44:46 PM
The Eternal Woman by Gertrude Von Le Fort.  Excellent so far.

Yeah, it's a great book.

If you like that one, you'd probably like "the privilege of being a woman" by Alice Von Hildebrand. I have read bits and pieces of it, but I intend to read it in its entirety soon.

I've read the book by Alice Von Hildebrand, too.  Very, very good. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Graham

Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on March 21, 2013, 12:20:47 PM
I know this isn't a movie thread, but I was watching a movie called Fish Tank the other night and it featured a hip-hop song by someone called Nas.  The chorus went:

Life's a bitch and then ya die
That's why we get high
'Cos you never know
when you're gonna go, so
That's why we puff lye.

It's a little known fact that Nas' next album featured a Traditional Catholic remix.

That's why we remain in the state of grace
'Cos you know know when you're gonna go

According to Puff Daddy, the flow was awkward, but the theology was impeccable.

Mono no aware

Graham

Mr. Brocklehurst, who are your favorite cynical/misanthropic/curmudgeonly authors?

Coastal GA Trad

"They Have Uncrowned Him" by His Grace Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre.
What is left there to do? My dear brethren, (...) I think I can say that we need to make a crusade based on the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, the Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ, leaning on the invincible rock and that inexhaustible source of grace which is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass."

His Grace Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, sermon  on his jubilee in 1979.

I am a traditional Catholic and a Royalist in Coastal Georgia.

"O Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God, and our own most gentle Queen and Mother, look down in mercy upon England, thy Dowry, and upon us all who greatly hope and trust in thee. Through thee it was that Jesus our Saviour and our Hope was given unto the world; and he hath given thee to us that we might hope still more. Plead for us thy children, whom thou didst receive and accept at the foot of the Cross, O sorrowful Mother. Intercede for our separated English brethren, that they may be united with us in the one true Fold. Pray for us all, dear Mother, that by faith fruitful in good works, we may all deserve to see and praise God together with thee in our heavenly home. Amen."- Prayer for the Conversion of England.

Mono no aware

Quote from: Graham on March 31, 2013, 04:26:45 PM
Mr. Brocklehurst, who are your favorite cynical/misanthropic/curmudgeonly authors?

Vladimir Nabokov would have to top that list.  He's one of the rare authors to whom cynicism & misanthropy seem to come naturally; so many others are simply trying too hard to affect a pose.  Have you read any of his books, Graham?

Nietzsche rates pretty highly on that meter as well.  Very incisive.  Some of his lines are just hilarious.  He was horribly anti-Christian, of course, but somehow one feels for him anyway.  He was introverted and weird, and I like to think he was tilting against the bourgeois & saccharine Christianity of his day.  He wrote, famously, that "the last Christian died on the cross," indicative perhaps of how high he considered the bar set and how lazy the disciples of Christ were in imitating Him.  Nietzsche had an aversion to pity which I find strange.  Yet his last act before his family had him committed was to run out into the street to console a horse being mercilessly whipped by its master.  He was an enigmatic guy.  And a great writer.

tmw89

Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on April 04, 2013, 04:26:33 PM[Nietzsche's] last act before his family had him committed was to run out into the street to console a horse being mercilessly whipped by its master.

Don't suppose you've seen the Bela Tarr film named after the incident?

Also, re-reading Monsignor Fenton's The Concept of Sacred Theology.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Bonaventure

Madman's Diary - Lu Xun

Commie crap.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Dom Passerini

Leaving a Trace, by Alexandra Johnson.

I informally keep several journals and was surprised to come across this book on my bookshelf that's all about journaling.  It's something my wife picked up before we even knew each other and I've seen this book on the shelf for seven years, but we have so many books that I never actually even looked at it.  I finally just grabbed it the other day to see what it was all about, and lo and behold, it's about something I already do and have an interest in.  It's pleasant but so far (first 30 pages) are more of a ferverino about journaling than anything else.

"Journal keeping is that rare activity centered in the present, contemplating the past, yet aimed for a future self."

And it's true.  I always enjoy going back and rereading things I wrote or jotted into the margin of class notes in college etc.

I also started rereading The Hobbit, the Fellowship of the Ring, and the Return of the King...simultaneously.

I also do a fair bit of regular reading out of my 1950 copy of The Reader's Encyclopedia by William Benet.
a sparrow all alone on the housetop

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Mono no aware

Quote from: tmw89 on April 04, 2013, 09:50:02 PM
Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on April 04, 2013, 04:26:33 PM[Nietzsche's] last act before his family had him committed was to run out into the street to console a horse being mercilessly whipped by its master.

Don't suppose you've seen the Bela Tarr film named after the incident?

I haven't.  Not yet.  Bela Tarr makes some of the most difficult films in the world.  He makes Guy Maddin look like Michael Bay.  I have to be in the right mood for that sort of thing, and that mood may never strike again for as long as I live.  But if it does, I'll watch it. 

Do you like Bela Tarr films?

ts aquinas

Life of Saint Benedict by St. Gregory the Great

tmw89

Quote from: Mr Brocklehurst on April 05, 2013, 03:47:45 PM
Do you like Bela Tarr films?

Like?  Well... my opinion varies from film to film.  When his movies work, they're magnificent... when they don't...  :trainwreck:
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

kayla_veronica

Acts of the Apostles with commentary (Haydock).
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.