What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Clare

I'm halfway through Father William Doyle SJ by Professor Alfred O'Rahilly. I've been finding the information regarding his mortifications rather disturbing, but I'm not a saint!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Lynne

I've started reading Dante 's The Divine Comedy (the portable edition translated by Mark Musa)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Elizabeth

Quote from: Clare on March 21, 2016, 06:33:53 AM
I'm halfway through Father William Doyle SJ by Professor Alfred O'Rahilly. I've been finding the information regarding his mortifications rather disturbing, but I'm not a saint!
What did he do? 

One of the most cringe-worthy to me is the saint who lived in a bog being eaten alive by mosquitos for 6 months or something.  How did he not go stark raving mad?

Bernadette

Quote from: Elizabeth on March 21, 2016, 11:38:26 AM

One of the most cringe-worthy to me is the saint who lived in a bog being eaten alive by mosquitos for 6 months or something.  How did he not go stark raving mad?

Did he get malaria?

St. Jean-Marie Vianney's mortifications were pretty extreme, from what I remember.   :o
My Lord and my God.

Elizabeth

He was unrecognizable, swollen with bites.  Don't know if he got malaria but I know he suffered for sinners!

red solo cup

Joan of Arc: A History by Helen Castor. The author did a good job of explaining the complex struggle between the factions of England, Burgundy and Armagnac. That alone took up the first two thirds of the book. Castor treated Joan fairly without an axe to grind either way.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: red solo cup on March 31, 2016, 08:55:44 AM
Joan of Arc: A History by Helen Castor. The author did a good job of explaining the complex struggle between the factions of England, Burgundy and Armagnac. That alone took up the first two thirds of the book. Castor treated Joan fairly without an axe to grind either way.

I'll have to give that a read. I'm always wary of reading histories on her, given how she can be a polarizing figure.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Clare

Quote from: Elizabeth on March 21, 2016, 11:38:26 AM
What did he do? 
Rather than trying to type examples out (my fingers aren't great at the moment!) I've taken a picture of a small paragraph which gives some idea:
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Christina_S

Finished Kristin Lavransdatter! There aren't many books that I strongly want to read over and over again, but this is one of the few. What a picture of medieval Christianity it painted, and what a character Kristin is! I can see how reading this book as a teenager is very different from reading it as a young mother, or as a widow, since Kristin faces all of those periods with different attitudes and amounts of grace. Like it or hate it, it's an interesting book.

Just started on A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. So far it's like an American Lucy Maud Montgomery Litetm with a side of Catholicism. Mmm...
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

Bernadette

Quote from: Christina_S on April 19, 2016, 09:23:40 PM

Just started on A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. So far it's like an American Lucy Maud Montgomery Litetm with a side of Catholicism. Mmm...

One of my absolute favorite books. I love how it takes you right into the characters' lives- how you get to know everything about them: what they eat, what they do for fun, how they drink their coffee, etc.
My Lord and my God.

Non Nobis

Finished Kristin Lavransdatter! There aren't many books that I strongly want to read over and over again, but this is one of the few. What a picture of medieval Christianity it painted, and what a character Kristin is! I can see how reading this book as a teenager is very different from reading it as a young mother, or as a widow, since Kristin faces all of those periods with different attitudes and amounts of grace. Like it or hate it, it's an interesting book.

Since you liked Kristin Lavransdatter I'll bet you would also like The Master of Hestviken: The Axe, The Snake Pit, In the Wilderness, The Son Avenger, also by Sigrid Undset.  (I originally read it all in one volume)

Truly great Catholic novels.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Non Nobis

Quote from: Bernadette on April 19, 2016, 09:49:17 PM

One of my absolute favorite books. I love how it takes you right into the characters' lives- how you get to know everything about them: what they eat, what they do for fun, how they drink their coffee, etc.

Be sure to see the movie, if you haven't already (1945) (IMDB rating 8.2).  When I hear the title I always think of the movie - one of my absolutely favorite movies.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on April 19, 2016, 09:49:17 PM

I love that book, too.  And a second recommendation for the movie
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace