What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clare

Quote from: Maximilian on July 30, 2015, 09:08:47 AM
Quote from: Clare on July 30, 2015, 07:08:20 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on July 02, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
Did you ever give us your thoughts on "That Hideous Strength"?
I've just finished it again. I'm not sure where to begin giving my thoughts. It's an amazing book. First time I read it, I thought the ending was a bit disappointing, but this time I didn't. What were your thoughts, Maximilian?
I thought it was amazingly prescient. Written in 1945, it was 3 years before "1984." It's prophetic in a religious sense, but it succeeds as a work of science fiction. Like most English sci-fi (e.g. Dr. Who) there's not much science in the sci-fi, but it was ahead of its time in mixing science fiction with fantasy. I think C.S. Lewis identified the real problems that we face today even better than Aldous Huxley or George Orwell, although those men were geniuses as well.
When I was reading a bit on Wikipedia about That Hideous Strength, I was surprised that it had influenced so little. A couple of Heavy Metal bands, and not much else! I've been watching some old Dr Who series recently, and I could imagine THS providing inspiration for potential stories, if only its writers had read it!
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Clare

I've just finished The Problem of Pain by CS Lewis, and I'm re-reading The Ball and the Cross by GK Chesterton now.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Arun

the brain that changes itself, by norman doidge.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

red solo cup

Off the Planet by Jerry Linenger.  Linener is a naval flight surgeon who spent five months aboard the Russian space station Mir. Very entertaining and informative. When he described liftoff and entry into orbit, it was hard to put it down. Mir was designed to last five years. When the author was on board it was in it's tenth year. As a result there were constant problems; many of them life threatening.
There were constant cooling leaks causing them to breath glycol fumes. There was a fire that burned long enough and hot enough to melt nearby metal. There was even a bungled docking maneuver that caused a near miss of a one ton module.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Chestertonian

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Arun

Quote from: Chestertonian on August 06, 2015, 10:25:48 AM
Quote from: Arun on August 04, 2015, 03:27:34 PM
the brain that changes itself, by norman doidge.
how is it

pretty amazing man. all about neuroplasticity and how the brain is malleable and can reorganise itself to allow "normal" function despite extensive irreparable brain damage. it can shift processing and functions to other areas to compensate for when another area is damaged. that's mainly what it's covered so far, given a bunch of people's case stories and stuff. cool read tho; i can send you a pdf if your interested in reading it man.

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Clare

I'm re-reading The Great Divorce by C S Lewis.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

zork

Wheel of Time 5: The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Maximilian

Quote from: zork on August 15, 2015, 06:59:40 PM

Someone just posted a graph here the other day claiming to show that the relationship between how good a book is and how many words the author made up is a 1/x inverse functions. I immediately thought of Robert Jordan.

I don't know if anyone can find that graph again.

zork

Oh yeah, I saw that too. Stephen King made up words for his Dark Tower series, and the words he used became cloying rather quickly.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Gardener

Quote from: Maximilian on August 15, 2015, 07:32:03 PM

Someone just posted a graph here the other day claiming to show that the relationship between how good a book is and how many words the author made up is a 1/x inverse functions. I immediately thought of Robert Jordan.

I posted it in the LMS USA/Canada thread. The graphic is from xkcd: https://xkcd.com/483/

To keep it literary for the thread: https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/alternative_energy_revolution.jpg
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Maximilian

Quote from: Gardener on August 15, 2015, 09:36:06 PM
Quote from: Maximilian on August 15, 2015, 07:32:03 PM

I posted it in the LMS USA/Canada thread. The graphic is from xkcd: https://xkcd.com/483/

To keep it literary for the thread: https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/alternative_energy_revolution.jpg

Thanks for the link:

It's pretty hard to see this graph without thinking of Robert Jordan.
On the other hand, there are lots sci-fi/fantasy writers who are just as bad.

Maximilian

Quote from: Gardener on August 15, 2015, 09:36:06 PM

Great cartoon. I have often thought the same when I have seen these things along the highway. They remind me of some sort of creepy sci-fi characters. Their appearance is distinctly eerie and foreboding.

Bernadette

I'm reading Food in England, by Dorothy Hartley. Highly recommended! I've been looking for it for years, but unwilling to pay $20-$30 dollars for it, and then I finally found it for $7.50. When I opened it to start reading, the bookseller had written: "£4.99. Sought after" on the first page. lol Sought after was right! Anyway, it really makes me want to read Dorothy Hartley's other books.
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

Re. Wheel of Time: I admit that R.J. "Goes long"; but since I really didn't want the books to end, for that would mean that the world he created was finished; I enjoyed all the "baroque" verbal decorations that his books contained. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers