What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red solo cup

Left Behind by Tim LaHaye.  Been meaning to read this for years out of curiosity. Really REALLY dumb.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Stones From the River, by Ursula Hegi. I love books like this, that give you such tiny details about the characters' lives.
My Lord and my God.

Arun

Quote from: red solo cup on July 25, 2015, 06:37:52 AM
Left Behind by Tim LaHaye.  Been meaning to read this for years out of curiosity. Really REALLY dumb.

good?

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Gardener

Quote from: Arun on July 28, 2015, 11:23:44 PM

good?

Imagine if Clive Cussler wrote fundie evangelical prot novels.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Arun

Quote from: Gardener on July 28, 2015, 11:40:10 PM

good?

i'm re-reading PIHKAL. not putting it down for that, sorry...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

red solo cup

We know you love the phenethylamines. The question is do they love you back?

red solo cup

Quote from: Gardener on July 28, 2015, 11:40:10 PM

good?

Cussler is far better than LaHaye.

Kaesekopf

Electromagnetics.

So much electromagnetics.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

maryslittlegarden

good?

Not in a million years.  Only thing worse are the movies.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Arun

Quote from: red solo cup on July 29, 2015, 05:38:53 AM
We know you love the phenethylamines. The question is do they love you back?

that's a microscopic question with an omniscopic answer, man...

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Hiero of Syracuse

I'm reading a book by Fr. Arminjon called the "End of the Present World", I skipped ahead to chapters that caught my attention and from what I've read so far, it seems pretty solid. In addition to this, I am reading a fan-fiction (tis a guilty pleasure of mine) called "Prince Iroh". It's a very polished work and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes war stories. 

Clare

Quote from: Hiero of Syracuse on July 29, 2015, 06:59:32 PM
I'm reading a book by Fr. Arminjon called the "End of the Present World", I skipped ahead to chapters that caught my attention and from what I've read so far, it seems pretty solid....
I read that last year. A very interesting book.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Gardener

Quote from: Clare on July 30, 2015, 12:57:08 AM
Quote from: Hiero of Syracuse on July 29, 2015, 06:59:32 PM
I'm reading a book by Fr. Arminjon called the "End of the Present World", I skipped ahead to chapters that caught my attention and from what I've read so far, it seems pretty solid....
I read that last year. A very interesting book.

Was a fav of St. Therese.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Clare

Quote from: Maximilian on July 02, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
Quote from: Clare on July 02, 2015, 02:19:07 PM
Just about to read C S Lewis's Cosmic Trilogy again, which I first read last year.
Did you ever give us your thoughts on "That Hideous Strength"?
I've just finished it again. I'm not sure where to begin giving my thoughts. It's an amazing book. First time I read it, I thought the ending was a bit disappointing, but this time I didn't. What were your thoughts, Maximilian?

The whole trilogy is great.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Maximilian

Quote from: Clare on July 30, 2015, 07:08:20 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on July 02, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
Did you ever give us your thoughts on "That Hideous Strength"?

I've just finished it again. I'm not sure where to begin giving my thoughts. It's an amazing book. First time I read it, I thought the ending was a bit disappointing, but this time I didn't. What were your thoughts, Maximilian?

I thought it was amazingly prescient. Written in 1945, it was 3 years before "1984." It's prophetic in a religious sense, but it succeeds as a work of science fiction. Like most English sci-fi (e.g. Dr. Who) there's not much science in the sci-fi, but it was ahead of its time in mixing science fiction with fantasy. I think C.S. Lewis identified the real problems that we face today even better than Aldous Huxley or George Orwell, although those men were geniuses as well.