What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rose

A Mirror of Shalott by Msg. Robert Hugh Benson, one of my favorite authors. Unlike his usual historical or futuristic novels, this is a collection of "ghost" stories, apparently collected from several priests in a Vatican hostel while Msg. Benson was still a lay person. A very good read, not horror by modern standards but compelling nonetheless, and quite scary if you consider that they may be true.

It's only 99p on Amazon for those with Kindles :)
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Lynne

Quote from: Rose on May 28, 2015, 04:43:59 PM
A Mirror of Shalott by Msg. Robert Hugh Benson, one of my favorite authors. Unlike his usual historical or futuristic novels, this is a collection of "ghost" stories, apparently collected from several priests in a Vatican hostel while Msg. Benson was still a lay person. A very good read, not horror by modern standards but compelling nonetheless, and quite scary if you consider that they may be true.

Excellent! Running off to purchase...

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

Quote from: Lynne on May 28, 2015, 05:45:38 PM

I just downloaded it from Internet Archive.  :P It DOES sound good!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
My Lord and my God.

Clare

Me too!

Have you read Shane Leslie's Ghost Book, or Ghosts and Poltergeists by Fr Thurston?
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

OCLittleFlower

That sounds very good!

Adding it to my wishlist.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

LausTibiChriste

The Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska

If previous threads are to be believed, some of you will commend me, some will condemn me  ;)
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Lynne

Quote from: Clare on May 29, 2015, 02:11:10 AM

Me too!

Have you read Shane Leslie's Ghost Book, or Ghosts and Poltergeists by Fr Thurston?

Was that question directed to me? I have not read either of those but I will check them out.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Molly Grue

Just in case anyone saw my post and was interested in reading a fun book about the Middle Ages, I need to make a correction. Those Terrible Middle Ages is by Regine Pernoud, not Pauline Reage. Pauline Reage wrote Histoire d'O, a very famous piece of French erotica that the inexplicable French people revere. She has nothing in common with Regine Pernoud except that they were both French women writers and they had the same initials only reversed. I have no idea why I keep on mixing them up, but please don't look for anything by Miss Reage.
It would be the last unicorn in the world who came to Molly Grue.

Baldrick

Quote from: Molly Grue on May 29, 2015, 06:17:33 AM
Just in case anyone saw my post and was interested in reading a fun book about the Middle Ages, I need to make a correction. Those Terrible Middle Ages is by Regine Pernoud, not Pauline Reage. Pauline Reage wrote Histoire d'O, a very famous piece of French erotica that the inexplicable French people revere. She has nothing in common with Regine Pernoud except that they were both French women writers and they had the same initials only reversed. I have no idea why I keep on mixing them up, but please don't look for anything by Miss Reage.

haha, I was wondering:  wow, someone else wrote a book with that exact same (unique) title?  :) 

Lynne

hahahaha I *did* look up the title and author you first mentioned.

Clare

Quote from: Lynne on May 29, 2015, 05:08:57 AM
Quote from: Clare on May 29, 2015, 02:11:10 AM

Me too!

Was that question directed to me? I have not read either of those but I will check them out.
It was directed at either you (Lynne) or Rose. Or anyone else interested! I've got both the books I mentioned, but I've only read the Shane Leslie one so far. Very interesting.

And I did order the Msgr Benson one earlier.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Rose

Clare, is there a link to either of those on Amazon or elsewhere online? I couldn't find either of them for Kindle.
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on May 29, 2015, 03:32:35 AM
The Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska

If previous threads are to be believed, some of you will commend me, some will condemn me  ;)

Trying to impress them Polish girls, eh?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Molly Grue

Quote from: Lynne on May 29, 2015, 07:04:08 AM

I hope I didn't lead any innocent soul to a really perverted book!
It would be the last unicorn in the world who came to Molly Grue.

Lynne

Quote from: Molly Grue on May 29, 2015, 08:50:39 AM
Quote from: Lynne on May 29, 2015, 07:04:08 AM

I hope I didn't lead any innocent soul to a really perverted book!

I figured it was a mistake because I had heard of the book on the Middle Ages and as soon as I saw the cover of the other one, it was like, oops, I don't want that!

lol