What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeT

Quote from: Archer on November 11, 2014, 08:43:33 AM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 27, 2014, 11:06:52 AM
Quote from: Archer on October 27, 2014, 10:10:22 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on October 27, 2014, 09:29:14 AM
Waiting for the Apocalypse: A Memoir of Faith and Family by Veronica Chater.

I've heard mixed reviews about that one.
After having seen the weeks long argument on FE however long ago, I want to read it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Right?
I remember that one. It sounds really sad. Listening to the story of a woman who lost her faith through the acts of an impractical but well meaning father. It sounds like a hatchet job and a book length violation of the fourth commandment, but if I saw it in a book store, I might flip through it. I always like a good survival story. And it is always good to know what your potential enemies are doing.
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

Kaesekopf

Quote from: GeorgeT on November 11, 2014, 05:02:37 PM
I remember that one. It sounds really sad. Listening to the story of a woman who lost her faith through the acts of an impractical but well meaning father. It sounds like a hatchet job and a book length violation of the fourth commandment, but if I saw it in a book store, I might flip through it. I always like a good survival story. And it is always good to know what your potential enemies are doing.

Also sounds like a good guide book of what NOT to do.

How many young trad men do we see pontificate on Internet about how to do things, etc? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

red solo cup

The parents meant well. They were good traddies. But the father just quit his job and they all moved to Portugal, sight unseen,
looking for a Traditional Mass uncorrupted by Vatican II.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Kaesekopf

Quote from: red solo cup on November 11, 2014, 06:44:42 PM
The parents meant well. They were good traddies. But the father just quit his job and they all moved to Portugal, sight unseen,

Stupid trad, you mean.

He shunned his vocation and state in life without knowing a thing.  He had an obligation to raise his children in the Faith, not chase after private revelation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Archer

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 12, 2014, 07:25:56 AM
Quote from: red solo cup on November 11, 2014, 06:44:42 PM

Stupid trad, you mean.

He shunned his vocation and state in life without knowing a thing.  He had an obligation to raise his children in the Faith, not chase after private revelation.

I haven't read the book so I can't say for certain, but maybe he thought he was doing his duty.  People love a good soap opera so the book sounds like a way for the woman to make money    Maybe her childhood was nuts.  Maybe her Dad was a bit cookoo. But there is always a second side to every story. Who knows what combination of circumstances drove him to do what he did? But to me this sounds like an easy way for her to make a few bucks, make her problems everyone else's, and throw her family under the bus in the process. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

red solo cup

In the father's favor he did have a wealthy backer that was supposed to provide work in Portugal. First he was weeks late then months late in showing up. And
then the plans fell through. The father was too trusting a soul.
The behavior of the parents would be considered normal on fora such as SD, but to someone "mainstream" would appear nutty. I don't think the publishers
would have accepted the book if it didn't show the Church in a bad light.

Johnny Midnight

i just started reading the secret of the rosary by de montfort.  i like but i wish i was better at praying the rosary.
"We are all the walking wounded in a world that is a war zone.  Everything we love will be taken from us, everything, last of all life itself."

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Johnny Midnight on November 17, 2014, 07:59:53 PM
i just started reading the secret of the rosary by de montfort.  i like but i wish i was better at praying the rosary.

Great book.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: Kaesekopf on November 17, 2014, 10:22:00 PM
Quote from: Johnny Midnight on November 17, 2014, 07:59:53 PM

Great book.

Anything by the good Saint is a great book  8)
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Prayerful

I have made a little start on De Montfort's Treatise on the True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin. It took repeated readings for Frank Duff to understand it, so I don't have too many expectations.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Rose

There's a brilliant book by Fr Helmut Libietis which draws together all of the reading recommended by St. Louis for the Consecration to Our Lady. Very comprehensive and very readable.

This morning on the bus I was reading Villette by one of the Brontes- not that great so far.
To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Maximilian

Quote from: Rose on November 18, 2014, 07:37:57 AM

There's a brilliant book by Fr Helmut Libietis which draws together all of the reading recommended by St. Louis for the Consecration to Our Lady. Very comprehensive and very readable.

Yes, that's a great book. The type that can change your life.

red solo cup

Rose

To Jesus through Mary.

Remember the Holy Souls!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
? J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

red solo cup