What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

I should reread The Lord of the Rings I read it exactly six years ago, so it's been long enough. I thought that it was powerful, but I wasn't enthralled by it.
My Lord and my God.

Daniel

I've gotta read some Tolkien.  I haven't read any of it yet.

Jacob

"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

red solo cup

Blood Royal by Eric Jager
In the fall of 1407, Louis I of Orleans brother of King Charles VI, was hacked to death by unknown assailants. This book follows Guillaume
de Tigonville the provost of Paris as he tracks and identifies the murderers. And there are lots of suspects who would want Louis dead.
Louis himself was a notorious womanizer. He was even rumored to have dallied with Queen Isabeau. There were also Charles's
fractious nobles who were competing for power among themselves and with Louis. Also in the mix is the kings intermittent insanity and
threats of war with the English. Very much a medieval who dunnit. An excellent read.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Sbyvl36

The Fall of Eagles by G.L. Sulzberger.  It documents the collapse of the Habsburg, Romanov, and Hohenzollern dynasties.  Some of you may be familiar with the BBC series of the same name.
My blog: sbyvl.wordpress.com

"Hold firmly that our faith is identical with that of the ancients. Deny this, and you dissolve the unity of the Church."
--St. Thomas Aquinas

"Neither the true faith nor eternal salvation is to be found outside the Holy Catholic Church."
--Pope Pius IX

"That the Conciliar Church is a schismatic Church, because it breaks with the Catholic Church that has always been. It has its new dogmas, its new priesthood, its new institutions, its new worship, all already condemned by the Church in many a document, official and definitive."
--Archbishop Lefebvre

Heliocentricism is idiocy.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Sbyvl36 on August 03, 2014, 01:55:29 PM
The Fall of Eagles by G.L. Sulzberger.  It documents the collapse of the Habsburg, Romanov, and Hohenzollern dynasties.  Some of you may be familiar with the BBC series of the same name.
sounds fascinating.

I will have to see if there is an eBook or audio version
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

tmw89

On an "on and off" basis, a biography of Otto von Bismarck.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Basilios

The Count of Monte Cristo.

I like revenge stories.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Daniel on July 28, 2014, 10:00:32 AM
I'm just finishing up reading the Apocalypse (in the original 1582 Rheims New Testament).  Does anyone know of a good traditional commentary on it?
http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=4079.0
"The Book of Destiny" Rev. Bernard Kramer

The Apocalypse of St. John; Rev. Elwood Sylvester Berry S.J.
http://www.strobertbellarmine.net/books/Berry--Apocalypse.pdf

commentary on the Apocalypse from the Church Fathers.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0712.htm
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Bernadette

Quote from: Basilios on August 04, 2014, 11:30:15 PM

I like revenge stories.

I love this book. :) I wish there were more like it. Have you read it before?
My Lord and my God.

Basilios

Quote from: Bernadette on August 09, 2014, 12:54:12 PM

I like revenge stories.

No first time reading it. It's a great book. Simple enough story but it does have everything. I'm nearing the end so planning on my next book. I might go for more Dumas and read the Muskateers.
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Bernadette

Quote from: Basilios on August 10, 2014, 02:00:26 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on August 09, 2014, 12:54:12 PM

I like revenge stories.

No first time reading it. It's a great book. Simple enough story but it does have everything. I'm nearing the end so planning on my next book. I might go for more Dumas and read the Muskateers.

It's so exciting. And the whole redemption thing- my favorite theme in books. I couldn't get into The Three Musketeers, though. Have you read Les Miserables? It's really good, way better than any of the adaptations.
My Lord and my God.

Maximilian

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 09, 2014, 12:20:22 PM
Quote from: Daniel on July 28, 2014, 10:00:32 AM
I'm just finishing up reading the Apocalypse (in the original 1582 Rheims New Testament).  Does anyone know of a good traditional commentary on it?
http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=4079.0
"The Book of Destiny" Rev. Bernard Kramer

The Apocalypse of St. John; Rev. Elwood Sylvester Berry S.J.
http://www.strobertbellarmine.net/books/Berry--Apocalypse.pdf

commentary on the Apocalypse from the Church Fathers.
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0712.htm

After reading so much about the Book of the Apocalypse, what conclusions have you come to?

Michael Wilson

Max,
I have both the Fr. Kramer and Fr. Berry books, but I have never read them.  Also, I just found the link to the "Commentary" while searching the web.  I have read the Apocalypse several times, and some of the commentary in the Haydock New Testament; I get a lot of spiritual consolation reading it, because it foretells the final triumph of Our Lord and the defeat of His enemies.  As well as foretelling the happiness of those who are saved.
I believe that we are living in the time of the "great apostasy" as predicted by St. Paul in his Second letter to the Thessalonicans 2. 3-5:

Quote [3] Let no man deceive you by any means, for unless there come a revolt first, and the man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition, [4] Who opposeth, and is lifted up above all that is called God, or that is worshipped, so that he sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself as if he were God. [5] Remember you not, that when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
comment:
[3] A revolt: This revolt, or falling off, is generally understood, by the ancient fathers, of a revolt from the Roman empire, which was first to be destroyed, before the coming of Antichrist. It may, perhaps, be understood also of a revolt of many nations from the Catholic Church; which has, in part, happened already, by means of Mahomet, Luther, &c., and it may be supposed, will be more general in the days of the Antichrist.

[3] The man of sin: Here must be meant some particular man, as is evident from the frequent repetition of the Greek article: 'the man of sin, 'the son of perdition, 'the adversary or opposer. It agrees to the wicked and great Antichrist, who will come before the end of the world.

[4] In the temple: Either that of Jerusalem which some think he will rebuild; or in some Christian church, which he will pervert to his own worship: as Mahomet has done by the churches of the east.
How Fatima the triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and the conversion of Russia, along with the appearance of the anti-Christ, all fit together; I haven't a clue.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

LongfellowDeeds

The New Faithful by Colleen Carroll Campbell
You Did It For Me by Fr. Michael Gaitley, MICM
The Once and Future King by T.H. White
The Forsyte Saga by John Galsworthy
I believe in the Resurrection of the Thread.

"The USCCB needs more Cojones and less Mahoneys."
-- C. Austermann

"Vice is a monster of so frightful mien. As to be hated needs but to be seen; Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face, We first endure, then pity, then embrace." -- Alexander Pope

"A woman's preaching is like a dog's walking on his hind legs. It is not done well; but you are surprised to find it done at all." -- Samuel Johnson

"Who am I to budge?" -- Future Better Pope