What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmw89

Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 22, 2014, 10:10:22 PM
Quote from: tmw89 on June 22, 2014, 09:42:15 PM
The Homogeneous Evolution of Catholic Dogma by Fr. Marin-Sola.  Have been reading it for a while (thanks to The Catholic Archive), it's a fascinating book.  I still wonder if it might have played a role in the deliberations for the later definition and declaration of the dogma of our Lady's Assumption...
I have that book; I have had a real problem getting through it; its very heavy to lift, to read and especially to grasp everything that Fr. Sola is saying.

Mr. Wilson, would you mind my asking where you found your copy?  I subscribed to The Catholic Archive chiefly because they'd added that title to their download collection, as I was unable to locate a copy outside of three different libraries (Harvard, I think Oxford, and the National Library of the Philippines).
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

BigMelvin

Quote from: Pheo on June 22, 2014, 08:46:33 AM
They do make an interesting contrast, but they don't have to be read in sequence.

Thanks, and to Clare as well. I am thundering through Lord of the World at the moment. Very good, and very touching in some parts as well.
I saw the sun go down, on dreams of a utopian evermore...

Modernism controls its victims in the name of obedience, thanks to the suspicion of pride which is cast on any criticism of their reforms, in the name of respect for the Pope, in the name of missionary zeal, of charity, and of unity."
– Fr. Roger Calmel OP, Letter of 8th August, 1973

"In reference to the created intellect, however, (and specifically to the human) things may be said to be false when by their appearances they invite misconception of their true nature"
H.D. Gardeil, O.P., Introduction to the Philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas, Vol. 4: Metaphysics, 138.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: tmw89 on June 24, 2014, 02:59:36 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on June 22, 2014, 10:10:22 PM
Quote from: tmw89 on June 22, 2014, 09:42:15 PM
The Homogeneous Evolution of Catholic Dogma by Fr. Marin-Sola.  Have been reading it for a while (thanks to The Catholic Archive), it's a fascinating book.  I still wonder if it might have played a role in the deliberations for the later definition and declaration of the dogma of our Lady's Assumption...
I have that book; I have had a real problem getting through it; its very heavy to lift, to read and especially to grasp everything that Fr. Sola is saying.

Mr. Wilson, would you mind my asking where you found your copy?  I subscribed to The Catholic Archive chiefly because they'd added that title to their download collection, as I was unable to locate a copy outside of three different libraries (Harvard, I think Oxford, and the National Library of the Philippines).
My copy is in Spanish, and I found it on abe books; I believe it is also available in French.  John Lane had/has a thread somewhere on his forum about finding this book in English. You could pop over there and inquire.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Pheo

I don't think I mentioned this one yet...read it a couple months back, and it was just awesome.  Catholic Sci-Fi, and not cheesy at all (imagine that).  I won't go into it too much, but the book took a bit of a jaw-dropping turn near the end.

Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

The Dumb Ostrich

Quote from: Heinrich on June 23, 2014, 01:48:41 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on June 23, 2014, 01:43:11 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on June 23, 2014, 01:40:08 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 23, 2014, 10:46:41 AM
Quote from: The Dumb Ostrich on June 23, 2014, 06:47:35 AM
Scholastic Metaphysics: A Contemporary Introduction by Edward Feser.

I want to get that.

Sounds fascinating. Our priest used metaphysical explanations in regards to Corpus Christi yesterday.

What did he say?

The miracle of Transubstantiation: The body and blood of Christ while retaining the accidents of bread wine.
SO far the book is good. It's not just a book on intro to Metaphysics. He spends the first part of the book refuting Scientism than goes into Thomism basically start with Act and Potency. Than into further sub division to show further distinctions. He also shows other scholastic thinks like Scotus. I'm only half way through chapter one because I'm also reading Life of Christ by Sheen. Very good book. very beatiful. 

Kaesekopf

Do you have theological training, ostrich?

Sounds really good.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

red solo cup

Quote from: The Dumb Ostrich on June 25, 2014, 05:26:54 AM
Quote from: Heinrich on June 23, 2014, 01:48:41 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on June 23, 2014, 01:43:11 PM
Quote from: Heinrich on June 23, 2014, 01:40:08 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 23, 2014, 10:46:41 AM
Quote from: The Dumb Ostrich on June 23, 2014, 06:47:35 AM
Scholastic Metaphysics: A Contemporary Introduction by Edward Feser.

I want to get that.

Sounds fascinating. Our priest used metaphysical explanations in regards to Corpus Christi yesterday.

What did he say?

The miracle of Transubstantiation: The body and blood of Christ while retaining the accidents of bread wine.
SO far the book is good. It's not just a book on intro to Metaphysics. He spends the first part of the book refuting Scientism than goes into Thomism basically start with Act and Potency. Than into further sub division to show further distinctions. He also shows other scholastic thinks like Scotus. I'm only half way through chapter one because I'm also reading Life of Christ by Sheen. Very good book. very beatiful.
Sheen's book is one of the best I've ever read.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

The Dumb Ostrich

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 25, 2014, 07:20:07 AM

Sounds really good.
I don't think so, granted to be honest I don't know what it means to be theologically trained. I read a lot books/ fesers blogs on various topics that pertain to Thomism. I've read Thomas's shorten Summa, summa contra gentiles vol 1 and half of two. I've read parts of the the actual summa. My understanding of Aristotelian logic is OK. I'll always see myself as a beginner, but I'd think we'd all say that because we had to consistently reread everything.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: The Dumb Ostrich on June 25, 2014, 03:26:01 PM

Sounds really good.
I don't think so, granted to be honest I don't know what it means to be theologically trained. I read a lot books/ fesers blogs on various topics that pertain to Thomism. I've read Thomas's shorten Summa, summa contra gentiles vol 1 and half of two. I've read parts of the the actual summa. My understanding of Aristotelian logic is OK. I'll always see myself as a beginner, but I'd think we'd all say that because we had to consistently reread everything.

By theological training, I mean formal schooling/education, etc.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

The Dumb Ostrich

Sheen's book is really amazing to read. It's so profound and simpler style of G.K. ish.  Scripture use is great too. Brings both natures of human and divine together so well in understanding the Apostles and Jesus.

The Dumb Ostrich

Quote from: Kaesekopf on June 25, 2014, 03:27:01 PM
Quote from: The Dumb Ostrich on June 25, 2014, 03:26:01 PM

Sounds really good.

By theological training, I mean formal schooling/education, etc.
No, the closest thing to that is Louis and I reading and discussion Thomism.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: The Dumb Ostrich on June 25, 2014, 03:28:46 PM
No, the closest thing to that is Louis and I reading and discussion Thomism.

OK.  Cool! 

Bernadette

Ada Blackjack: A True Story of Survival in the Arctic,  by Jennifer Niven. Not bad, but not worth keeping/rereading. Back onto PBS it goes.
My Lord and my God.

Michael Wilson

Thanks to the discussion I had on the "Baptism of Desire" thread, I started reading "The Theological Virtues I. Faith" By Rev. Reginald Garigou Lagrange.  A commentary on St. Thomas' Theological Summa Ia IIae qq. 62, 65, 68; IIa IIae, qq. 1-16;
Here is the first paragraph of the Preface:
Quote Four editions of the author's previous work, "De Revelatione," on "Revelation as proposed by the Catholic Church, " serve as an important milestone in fundamental apologetics,  The volume now presented is to acquaint religious minded readers with the manner of spiritual life demanded by the mysteries revealed. It must be a life of Christian faith, hope, and Charity, kept ardent and unctuous by the gifts of the Holy Ghost.....
I'm not the smartest guy around (to say the least), but I find that Fr. Lagrange makes the most complicated subjects easier to understand for the average layman.  He is a great teacher and an author whose orthodoxy and fidelity to the Church's perennial magisterium, make him a sure guide for any Catholic seeking to deepen their knowledge of the Catholic faith.
Any book with Fr. Lagrange as its author is a good book.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Stu Cool

The Reform of the Roman Liturgy by Msgr. Klaus Gamber.