Spooky

drummerboy

Warren Carroll's The Last Crusade, about the Spanish Civil War
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Michael Wilson

Quote from: drummerboy on February 03, 2014, 01:11:41 PM
Warren Carroll's The Last Crusade, about the Spanish Civil War
Great book.  It has a pro-Carlist bias; and therefore somewhat anti-Franco; but its the best book in English on the Spanish Civil War or at least on the small part that it covers of that war.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Clare

Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Maximilian

Clare

Quote from: Maximilian on February 10, 2014, 04:29:29 PM
Quote from: Clare on February 10, 2014, 02:52:00 AM
That Hideous Strength

Be sure to let us know your reaction.
Will do. It was you who piqued my interest in this book in the first place, Max! :D
Motes 'n' Beams blog

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Angelorum

"All men naturally desire to know, but what does knowledge avail without the fear of God? Indeed an humble peasant, that serves God, is better than a proud philosopher, who neglecting himself, considers the course of the heavens." - Thomas à Kempis, Imitation of Christ

Der Kaiser

"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

red solo cup

Intellectuals by Paul Johnson. A scathing critique that covers them all. Rousseau.Marx.Brecht. Mailer. Loved it.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Clare

Quote from: Clare on February 11, 2014, 05:58:22 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on February 10, 2014, 04:29:29 PM
Quote from: Clare on February 10, 2014, 02:52:00 AM
That Hideous Strength

Be sure to let us know your reaction.
Will do. It was you who piqued my interest in this book in the first place, Max! :D
Well, I've finished it now. What a remarkable book! I think I was a little disadvantaged by not knowing a great deal about King Arthur's story.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

maryslittlegarden

Shelby Foote's The Civil War - got all three volumes from the library
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Pius Papa Decimus

Christ, the life of the soul by Blessed Columba Marmion.
Pius P.P. X

Lynne

Quote from: Pius Papa Decimus on February 26, 2014, 12:40:55 PM
Christ, the life of the soul by Blessed Columba Marmion.

Ooo I've heard wonderful things about that...

Sent from my Droid Maxx

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Pius Papa Decimus

It's pretty great so far, Lynne. I bought it for $10.00, so worth it.
Pius P.P. X