Has anyone ever moved without using a moving company?

Started by Bernadette, October 03, 2019, 06:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Is this a common thing? My aunt and I are in the process of packing our entire houseful of stuff, before having the company move it all, and it's a daunting task. Last time we moved, 15 years ago (!), the company packed everything and all we had to do was unpack. I can't imagine having to pack and move everything by ourselves! This whole thing is really making me question how much of my stuff I actually want to keep, knowing that I not only have to pack it all, but also pay for it to be moved. The donation pile is growing exponentially. We were just going to move everything and then have a yard sale once we were settled, but now we're pretty much saying "forget it" and just donating everything to save expense.

So what are your experiences with moving?
My Lord and my God.

Maximilian

Yes, multiple times. It's not that daunting.

You need someone with good 3-d visualization skills to pack the truck. It's like 3-d Tetris. The tighter it's packed, the less things shift and get damaged along the way.

Throwing out your stuff is a good thing. Get inspired with a copy of Marie Kondo before you pack. Don't move stuff and then get rid of it. Although honestly that happens a lot.

MundaCorMeum

We have.  It is, indeed, a chore.  But, it's a good opportunity to purge and throw stuff out.  We did have help from family, too.  It wasn't that awful.

Daniel

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

Quote from: Maximilian on October 03, 2019, 06:18:31 AM
Yes, multiple times. It's not that daunting.

You need someone with good 3-d visualization skills to pack the truck. It's like 3-d Tetris. The tighter it's packed, the less things shift and get damaged along the way.

Throwing out your stuff is a good thing. Get inspired with a copy of Marie Kondo before you pack. Don't move stuff and then get rid of it. Although honestly that happens a lot.

Clutter's Last Stand is a good one too, that really motivated me to get past my pack rat inclinations.  Moving isn't that bad, its setting everything up again that's the annoying part
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

Bernadette

I've read Clutter's Last Stand and Marie Kondo. I like Kondo more. I'm proud to say that I've finished decluttering both my personal possessions (clothes, books, collections) and all of my craft supplies. The results are amazing! But I've run out of boxes so I'm at a standstill until we restock.
My Lord and my God.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Maximilian

Quote from: Bernadette on October 03, 2019, 10:12:54 AM

I've read Clutter's Last Stand and Marie Kondo.

Headline in yesterday's Wall Street Journal: "In order to get rid of clutter, first buy a bunch of books"
(referring to the new decluttering genre)

Maximilian

But I've run out of boxes so I'm at a standstill until we restock.

Standstill with decluttering or with packing to move?

Bernadette

Quote from: Maximilian on October 03, 2019, 10:39:47 AM

But I've run out of boxes so I'm at a standstill until we restock.

Standstill with decluttering or with packing to move?

Packing. Decluttering is done, as far as my stuff goes. I've been working on it for months.
My Lord and my God.

The Curt Jester

The last time I moved I got all my stuff transported in two trips with my '95 Honda Civic (smaller than current versions of it).  That was easy.  I also helped my wife move before we were married and that took just one truck and several friends and relatives one day to do.  Same thing when we moved her stuff into our new house.  Packing is rather easy once you get started.  I think moving things up and down stairs is the difficult part.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

aquinas138

We moved the bulk of our stuff ourselves last year, and hired a few guys for a few hours to move heavy furniture (king size bed, oak dresser, etc.) upstairs. That worked pretty well for us, but if we have to move again while the kids are young, I'll just pay someone to do it all. Honestly, kid-wrangling is the worst part of moving.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

Jacob

Quote from: aquinas138 on October 03, 2019, 07:01:36 PMHonestly, kid-wrangling is the worst part of moving.

When i was a kid, we moved usually in the summers.  Our mom would pack my brother and me off to our grandparents' house for a month-long stay.  We'd leave from the old place and go home to the new place
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Maximilian

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2019, 07:57:07 PM
Quote from: aquinas138 on October 03, 2019, 07:01:36 PMHonestly, kid-wrangling is the worst part of moving.

When i was a kid, we moved usually in the summers.  Our mom would pack my brother and me off to our grandparents' house for a month-long stay.  We'd leave from the old place and go home to the new place

Impressive. Sounds like you have a smart mother.