Newbie Trad here

Started by Brigid, September 19, 2020, 09:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brigid

What brings you to SD?

Need to be part of a group of traditionalists since I'm new to traditionalism (been Catholic for 20 years, tho')

Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)?

Defense of the Faith

Why did you choose your username and avatar?

Confirmation Ste. was St. Brigid, so confirmation name was Brigid.

What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning?

Single (civilly married, however received a declaration of nullity) with 1 adult daughter and 4 grandchildren

Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!)

Washington state, US

Personality type?

Melancholic/Phlegmatic

Favorite books?

CS Lewis-Space Trilogy, Screwtape Letters, The Great Divorce
Ratzinger-Spirit of the Liturgy
Milne-The World of Pooh
Anne Perry Mysteries
Christie-Ms. Marple Mysteries
Disney-(original) Sleeping Beauty
To Kill a Mockingbird
etc..........

Favorite movies?

Gone with the Wind
An Affair to Remember
Arsenic and Old Lace

Favorite TV shows?

Donna Reed Show
Leave it to Beaver
Monk

Favorite sports/teams

basketball (to watch)
ice skating (to watch)

Have any hobbies?

surfing the 'net
interior design
reading
history

Pet peeves:

impatient drivers
guitar music in church (protestant churches, too)
messiness

Fun random fact about yourself:

?
"His mother saith to the waiters: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye."  John 2:5

mikemac

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Philip G.

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Michael Wilson

Welcome to the forum; I like your list of favorite movies; Gone with the Wind and Arsenic and Old Lace. Cary Grant was great in the second and Vivian Leigh in the first. If you have never read "GWTW"; its much better than the movie, I just couldn't put it down.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Bernadette

Welcome! Yes, Gone With the Wind is an excellent book, and audio book.
My Lord and my God.

Jayne

Welcome to the forum.  I like many of the books you listed, so we have that in common. 

I remember watching Monk and liking it at the time.  I wonder if I still would, since I have noticed my tastes have changed.  I still like the theme song.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTcakQ7Zi-Q[/yt]

I see you have grandchildren.  I am expecting my 10th to be born any day now and I like being a grandmother very much.  There are not a lot of grandmothers here on the forum, so I am happy to see another one joining.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Jayne

Brigid, please take note of what I said in my post to CF Mathews:

There is a subforum for female members only that you can join by asking Kaesekopf, the owner/moderator.  It is not very active now, but we have had good discussions there in the past.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Brigid

Thank you all for your warm welcomes!

Jayne - I will look to joining the women's subform. Thanks. Wow! 10 is a lot of grandchildren! I find myself hard pressed to get good, quality time in with 4. But you are so right! Being a grandmother is a "peak" experience. My oldest grandson has some mental health difficulties at the moment and is having a lot of trouble seeing the positives in life (as teens do anyway). I assured him of light at the end of the tunnel and that even if there were nothing else, that being a grandparent was worth it all!

Michael - I'm not sure if I've read GWTW or not. I think not, but I should be able to get that at the library, even if this library isn't that great.
"His mother saith to the waiters: Whatsoever he shall say to you, do ye."  John 2:5