Author Topic: Anyone here live(d) in Michigan?  (Read 159 times)

Offline GaudeMariaVirgo

• Mary Garden
  • Hellebardier
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Anyone here live(d) in Michigan?
« on: September 26, 2021, 05:37:15 PM »
Hi everyone! My husband and I have officially become fully remote workers and are considering a move from Chicago to Michigan due to its beauty, family-friendliness and affordability (among other factors). We are considering the Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids areas in particular, and so far are really liking what we're seeing in both of those metros. Has anyone lived in either of those areas who can speak to the general culture, receptiveness to crunchy-yet-trad families, etc? We're reaching out to as many people as possible for their experiences/advice, in addition to doing our own research!

Thanks so much!  :pray1:

The following users thanked this post: Christe Eleison

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Re: Anyone here live(d) in Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 06:35:17 PM »
I would suggest staying closer to the Grand Rapids area. There is an FSSP parish in South Bend, Indiana. You'll be farther from Detroit and closer to the things people love about Chicago. Car insurance will be a air horn blast from two feet away pain. I dont live there, btw.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

• Wachtmeister
  • LET'S GO BRANDON!
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Anyone here live(d) in Michigan?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 07:56:18 PM »
Hi everyone! My husband and I have officially become fully remote workers and are considering a move from Chicago to Michigan due to its beauty, family-friendliness and affordability (among other factors). We are considering the Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids areas in particular, and so far are really liking what we're seeing in both of those metros. Has anyone lived in either of those areas who can speak to the general culture, receptiveness to crunchy-yet-trad families, etc? We're reaching out to as many people as possible for their experiences/advice, in addition to doing our own research!

I don't know anything about Michigan, but the first things I'd investigate are the bishop of the diocese, the state gun laws, and the state homeschooling laws.

Offline Christe Eleison

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Anyone here live(d) in Michigan? YES, Kathleen & CarleenDiane
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 10:12:31 PM »

Dear GaudeMariaVirgo, :seeya:
Congratulations on being able to work from home!! :beer:
There is a very nice lady here, by the name of KATHLEEN, she does not post daily, but often enough. I am pretty sure that she lives in Michigan.

Also, another wonderful poster, by the screen name of CarleenDiane, lives in Michigan as well. She has had some health issues & does not post here anymore, but who knows...
She could always come back ;D I am always hoping that she will return one day!
Her name is Carleen Price, her husband is the one mentioned in the article, in the link below. He bought & has been restoring a Church in Cheboygan, Mi. 49721
St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church. The idea was to have the Tridentine Mass there.

CarleenDiane has commented on that article & goes by the handle/name of
HARMONICALOVER So, maybe you can contact her that way. She is a very nice trad lady, mother & grandmother. Check the comments in this article about the Church
that they are restoring!

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/a-church-rises-from-the-ashes-latin-mass-returns-to-church-abandoned-by-diocese-in-1980s/

If you are able to speak with her, please tell her that we all miss her around here!
And that I would love her to come back :D

RedSoloCup also mentioned that she is on Facebook!

Good luck, best of wishes with your move!

God Bless!

:pray1:

P.S:
The only reason that I mentioned her complete name is due to the fact,
that it is mentioned in the article. When they mention Bill Price, her husband.