Favorite Chesterton Quotes.

Started by Melkor, April 19, 2021, 08:29:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melkor

"There are no uninteresting things, only uninterested people."
? G.K. Chesterton

Kinda like this thread.... :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Am I not here, I who am your mother?" Mary to Juan Diego

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Melkor

"Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair."

G.K. Chesterton

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented." G.K. Chesterton

"Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill." Jesus Christ

Lynne

Quote from: andy on June 22, 2021, 06:43:17 PM
<subscribe>

Up on the right-side of the screen, there's a button called Notify. Click on that and you will be notified every time there's a response on the thread.

:cheeseheadbeer:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Lynne

Also, unverified quote, found on Facebook...

"The thing that really is trying to tyrannize through government is Science. The thing that really does use the secular arm is Science. And the creed that really is levying tithes and capturing schools, the creed that really is enforced by fine and imprisonment, the creed that really is proclaimed not in sermons but in statutes, and spread not by pilgrims but by policemen — that creed is the great but disputed system of thought which began with Evolution and has ended in Eugenics. Materialism is really our established Church; for the Government will really help it to persecute its heretics. Vaccination, in its hundred years of experiment, has been disputed almost as much as baptism in its approximate two thousand. But it seems quite natural to our politicians to enforce vaccination; and it would seem to them madness to enforce baptism."

-- G.K. Chesterton, Eugenics and Other Evils (1922)

Prescient.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Melkor

We can always convict such people of sentimentalism by their weakness for euphemism. The phrase they use is always softened and suited for journalistic appeals. They talk of free love when they mean something quite different, better defined as free lust. But being sentimentalists they feel bound to simper and coo over the word "love." They insist on talking about Birth Control when they mean less birth and no control. We could smash them to atoms, if we could be as indecent in our language as they are immoral in their conclusions."  - G. K. Chesterton, "Obstinate Orthodoxy" in The Thing.)

clau clau

"Using Excel is certainly penitential"

... oh sorry, that was a Chestertonian quote.
http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=23445.msg493797#msg493797
Father time has an undefeated record.

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.
(https://completeandunabridged.blogspot.com/2009/06/i-claudius.html)

Melkor

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it." – The Everlasting Man

Reminds me of his Excellency Marcel Lefebvre. God rest his soul. Thank you for standing up for tradition. I know I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for you.

Melkor

"Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist."

G.K. Chesterton

Melkor

"It [feminism] is mixed up with a muddled idea that women are free when they serve their employers but slaves when they help their husbands."

? G.K. Chesterton

Melkor

"Man is more himself, man is more manlike, when joy is the fundamental thing in him, and grief the superficial. Melancholy should be an innocent interlude, a tender and fugitive frame of mind; praise should be the permanent pulsation of the soul. Pessimism is at best an emotional half-holiday; joy is the uproarious labour by which all things live."

G.K. Chesterton

Melkor

"It is absurd for the Evolutionist to complain that it is unthinkable for an admittedly unthinkable God to make everything out of nothing, and then pretend that it is more thinkable that nothing should turn itself into everything."

? G.K. Chesterton

Christe Eleison

"Tradition is so strong, that future generations will dream of what they never saw." —

G.K. Chesterton                       

Melkor

Quote from: Christe Eleison on August 17, 2021, 04:57:13 AM

"Tradition is so strong, that future generations will dream of what they never saw." —

G.K. Chesterton                       

Nice one!

Melkor

"The problem of disbelieving in God is not that a man ends up believing nothing. Alas, it is much worse. He ends up believing anything."

G.K. Chesterton

Melkor

"Even when I thought, with most other well-informed, though unscholarly, people, that Buddhism and Christianity were alike, there was one thing about them that always perplexed me; I mean the startling difference in their type of religious art. I do not mean in its technical style of representation, but in the things that it was manifestly meant to represent. No two ideals could be more opposite than a Christian saint in a Gothic cathedral and a Buddhist saint in a Chinese temple. The opposition exists at every point; but perhaps the shortest statement of it is that the Buddhist saint always has his eyes shut, while the Christian saint always has them very wide open. The Buddhist saint has a sleek and harmonious body, but his eyes are heavy and sealed with sleep. The mediaeval saint's body is wasted to its crazy bones, but his eyes are frightfully alive. There cannot be any real community of spirit between forces that produced symbols so different as that. Granted that both images are extravagances, are perversions of the pure creed, it must be a real divergence which could produce such opposite extravagances. The Buddhist is looking with a peculiar intentness inwards. The Christian is staring with a frantic intentness outwards. If we follow that clue steadily we shall find some interesting things."

G.K. Chesterton