Pentecost Novena: June 1st to June 9th.

Started by Xavier, June 03, 2019, 10:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

Pentecost Sunday will be here soon. It is slightly late to begin this Novena; but better late than never. Let us prepare well through this Pentecost Novena, as our Blessed Mother, His Spouse, and the holy Apostles did on that first Pentecost after the Resurrection; and, as by the Grace of God, they were entirely transformed by the Power of the Holy Spirit, strengthened with His many Gifts, filled with His Graces and producing His fruits, let us also each ask the Holy Spirit to fill all of us with His Gifts, His Fruits and and His Graces.

"Pentecost Novena
In preparation for the Feast of Pentecost and throughout the Octave

Reflection
To be read on the first day of the Novena and on the Feast of Pentecost.
It may also be used as an appropriate meditation throughout the Pentecost Season.

The visible "sending" of the Holy Ghost, which is the special object of the solemnity of Pentecost, belongs to Jesus in His Divine Nature (as it belongs also to the Father) and on this account it enters into the cycle of the feasts of Our Divine Lord. Christ Jesus prayed for this mission. He said to His disciples at the Last Supper: "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to dwell with you forever." (John 14:16). He promised to send this Consoler. "When the Advocate has come, Whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of Truth Who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness concerning Me... If I go, I will send Him to you." (John 15:26:, 16:7) Jesus, moreover, merited this mission. By His prayer, as by His Sacrifice on the Cross, He obtained from the Father that the Holy Ghost should be given to us. Finally, the sending of the Holy Ghost to the Apostles has no other end than to achieve the establishment of His One, True Church. Jesus had founded this Church upon Peter, but He left to the Holy Ghost the care of bringing it to perfection after His Ascension into Heaven. The Coming of the Divine Spirit was to serve for the glorification of Jesus, for He would fill the Apostles with power whereby they should render testimony to Jesus everywhere, even to the four corners of the earth. It is because this mission of the Holy Ghost to the Apostles truly belongs to Our Lord that St. Paul calls the Holy Ghost "the Spirit of Christ," "the Spirit of Jesus."

It is from the gift of love from the Father to the Son and from the Son to the Father, that the Holy Ghost--the Third Person of the Blessed Trinity--proceeds, thus completing the Divine Life in God. For this reason, Holy Mother Church especially attributes to Him all the works of grace and sanctification. The work of the Holy Ghost, in the Church as in individual souls, is to lead all efforts for holiness to their end and perfection. Pentecost is to be renewed in our souls. Each increase of grace is like a new taking possession of our souls by the Holy Ghost, a new embrace of love. As a Divine Guest full of love and kindness, He comes to dwell within us. He remains in our souls as in His temple, to help, strengthen, and sanctify us. He will leave us only if we have mortal sin. But if we let ourselves be guided by Him through the grace and the teaching of Christ's Holy Church, which He vivifies, He will make Jesus reign in us, and form Jesus in us by the gentle action of His powerful grace, for Our Lord said, "He will glorify Me, because He shall receive of what is Mine, and shall declare it to you." (John 16:14)

The Novena for Pentecost is the first and most venerable of all novenas. It was instituted by Our Divine Lord Himself: "But wait here in the city, until you are clothed with power from on High." (Luke 24:49) It was made, out of obedience, by Christ's own dear Mother, the Immaculate Spouse of the Holy Ghost, whose ineffable beauty drew Him forth. Pope Leo XIII officially decreed an annual Novena before Pentecost in His encyclical on the Holy Ghost, Divinum Illud, of May 9, 1897.

Those who make the Novena in honor of the Holy Ghost, either before Pentecost or at any other time of the year, may gain an indulgence of seven years once on each day of the novena; a plenary indulgence under the usual conditions at the end of the novena.

Intention: During this Novena in honor of the Holy Ghost, we humbly implore His graces upon our Community and the entire true remnant Catholic Church: that, in these days of universal apostasy we may persevere in the path of Divine Light, Truth, Obedience, and Love that leads unto salvation in Christ's One, True Church; that the Divine Paraclete will inspire our Most Reverend Bishop to guide the faithful flock in the pathways of truth and holiness; and that we may be so filled with the grace of His gifts and His fruits as to be protected from all error, sin, and heresy and so to live and defend our Holy Catholic Faith with true wisdom, fortitude, and zeal.

Opening Hymn
Come Holy Ghost, Creator blessed, and in our hearts take up Thy rest!
Come with Thy grace and heavenly aid, to fill the hearts which Thou hast made,
To fill the hearts which Thou hast made!  To fill the hearts which Thou hast made!

Act of Consecration to the Holy Ghost
Sunday, Wednesday, and Saturday

Holy Ghost, I consecrate to Thee my body with its senses, and I beg of Thee to employ them for the greater glory of God. Holy Ghost, I consecrate to Thee my eyes, that they may look only upon my Jesus. Holy Ghost, I consecrate to Thee my ears, that they may be attentive only to Thy Divine inspirations. Holy Ghost, I consecrate to Thee all my senses, that they may serve me only to love Jesus and to sacrifice myself for Him. Holy Ghost, I consecrate to Thee my heart with all its affections, that captivated alone by the charms and the delights of Thy love, it may ever find in Thee peace, truth, strength, light, and all Thy gifts and fruits, that loving Thee every day more and more, and making Thee loved by many souls, and by the whole world, were it possible, Thou mayest also love me more and more, and make me holy with all those that I love. Amen.

Monday and Thursday

O Holy Spirit of God, accept me as Thy disciple: guide me, illuminate me, sanctify me. Bind my hands, that they may do no evil; cover my eyes that they may see it no more; purify my heart, that evil may not dwell within me. Be Thou my guard; be Thou my guide. Whithersoever Thou leadest me I will go; whatsoever Thou forbiddest me I will renounce; and whatsoever Thou commandest me, in Thy strength I will do. Lead me, then, unto the fullness of Thy truth, through the guidance of Holy Mother Church and Her apostolic authority. Amen.

Tuesday and Friday

On my knees before the great multitude of heavenly witnesses, I offer myself, soul and body, to Thee, Eternal Spirit of God. I adore the brightness of Thy purity, the unerring keenness of Thy justice, and the might of Thy love. Thou art the strength and light of my soul. In Thee I live and move and am. I desire never to grieve Thee by unfaithfulness to grace, and I pray with all my heart to be kept from the least sin against Thee. Mercifully guard my every thought and grant that I may always listen to Thy voice, which inspires Holy Mother Church to guide me, and thereby follow Thy gracious inspirations. I cling to Thee and give myself to Thee and ask Thee, by Thy compassion, to watch over me in my weakness. Holding the pierced Feet of Jesus, and looking at His five Wounds, and trusting in His precious Blood, and adoring His opened side and stricken Heart, I implore Thee, Adorable Spirit, Helper of my infirmity, so to keep me in Thy grace that I may never sin against Thee. Give me grace, O Holy Ghost, Spirit of the Father and the Son, to say to Thee always and everywhere, "Speak Lord, for Thy servant heareth." Amen.

Meditation for the First Day: On the Holy Ghost

Only one thing is important--eternal salvation. Only one thing, therefore, is to be feared--sin. Sin is the result of ignorance, weakness, and indifference. The Holy Ghost is the Spirit of Light, of Strength, and of Love. With His sevenfold gifts He enlightens the mind, strengthens the will and inflames the heart with the love of God. To ensure our salvation we ought to invoke the Divine Spirit daily, for "the Spirit helpeth our infirmity. We know not what we should pray for as we ought. But the Spirit Himself asketh for us."

Let us Pray: Almighty and eternal God, Who has vouchsafed to regenerate us by water and the Holy Ghost, and hast given us forgiveness of all sins, vouchsafe to send forth from Heaven upon us Thy sevenfold Spirit, the Spirit of Wisdom and Understanding, the Spirit of Counsel and Fortitude, the Spirit of Knowledge and Piety, and fill us with the Spirit of Holy Fear. Amen. Litany of the Holy Ghost, Pater, Ave, Gloria; Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost.

Meditation for the Second Day: On the Gift of Fear

The Gift of Fear fills us with a sovereign respect for God, and makes us dread nothing so much as to offend Him by sin. It is a fear that arises, not from the thought of Hell, but from the sentiments of reverence and filial submission to our Heavenly Father. It is fear that is the beginning of true wisdom, detaching us from the worldly pleasures that could in any way separate us from God. "They that fear the Lord will prepare their hearts, and in His sight will sanctify their souls."

Let us Pray: Come, O Blessed Spirit of Holy Fear, penetrate my inmost heart, that I may set Thee, my Lord and God, before my face forever: help me to shun all things that can offend Thee, and make me worthy to appear before the pure eyes of Thy Divine Majesty in Heaven, where Thou livest and reignest in the unity of the ever Blessed Trinity, God, forever, unto ages of ages. Amen. Litany of the Holy Ghost, Pater, Ave, Gloria; Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost.

Meditation for the Third Day: On the Gift of Piety

The Gift of Piety begets in our hearts a filial affection for God as our most loving Father. It inspires us to love and respect for His sake, persons and things consecrated to Him, as well as those who are vested with His authority, His Blessed Mother and the saints, the Church and its visible Head, and our parents and superiors. He who is filled with the gift of Piety finds the practice of his religion not a burdensome duty, but a delightful service. Where there is love, there is no labor.

Let us Pray: Come, O Blessed Spirit, possess my heart. Enkindle therein such a love of God, that I may find satisfaction only in His service, and for His sake lovingly submit to all legitimate authority. Amen. Litany of the Holy Ghost, Pater, Ave, Gloria; Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost.

Meditation for the Fourth Day: On the Gift of Fortitude

By the Gift of Fortitude the soul is strengthened against natural fear and supported to the end in the performance of duty. Fortitude imparts to the will an impulse and energy which move it to undertake without hesitancy the most arduous tasks, to face dangers, to trample underfoot human respect, and to endure without complaint, the slow martyrdom of an even lifelong tribulation. "He that shall persevere to the end, he shall be saved."

Let us Pray: Come, O Spirit of Fortitude, uphold my soul in time of trouble and adversity, sustain my efforts to strive for holiness, strengthen my weakness, give me courage against all the assaults of my enemies, that I may never be overcome and separated from Thee, my God and greatest good. Litany of the Holy Ghost, Pater, Ave, Gloria; Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost. "

From: https://www.salvemariaregina.info/Prayers/Pentecost.html
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Xavier

Meditation for the Fifth Day: On the Gift of Knowledge

The Gift of Knowledge enables the soul to know those truths essential to our salvation as taught by Holy Mother Church and thereby to evaluate created things as to their true worth--their relation to God. Knowledge unmasks the pretense of mere creatures, reveals their emptiness, and makes clear their sole purpose as instruments in the service of God. It shows us the loving care of God even in adversity, and directs us to glorify Him in every circumstance of life. Guided by its light, we put first things first, and prize the friendship of God beyond all else. "Knowledge is a fountain of life to him that possesseth it."

Let us Pray: Come, O Blessed Spirit of Knowledge, and grant that I may perceive the will of the Father: show me the nothingness of earthly things, that I may realize their vanity and use them only for Thy glory and my own salvation, looking ever beyond them to Thee, and Thy eternal rewards. Amen. Litany of the Holy Ghost, Pater, Ave, Gloria; Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost.

Meditation for the Sixth Day: On the Gift of Understanding

Understanding, as a gift of the Holy Ghost, helps us to grasp the meaning of the truths of our holy Religion as taught to us by the Apostolic hierarchy of the Church. By faith we know them, but by Understanding we learn to appreciate and relish them. It enables us to penetrate the inner meaning of revealed truths and through them to be quickened to a newness of Life. Our faith ceases to be sterile and inactive, but inspires a mode of life that bears eloquent testimony to the faith that is in us; we begin to "walk worthy of God in all things pleasing, and increasing in the knowledge of God."

Let us Pray: Come O Spirit of Understanding, and enlighten our minds, that we may better comprehend and believe all the mysteries of salvation; and may merit at last to see the eternal light of Thy glory; and through obedience to the teachings of Holy Church to have a clear vision of Thee and of the Father and the Son. Amen. Litany of the Holy Ghost, Pater, Ave, Gloria; Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost.

Meditation for the Seventh Day: On the Gift of Counsel

The gift of Counsel endows the soul with supernatural prudence, enabling it to judge promptly and rightly what must be done, according to the mind of the Church, especially in difficult circumstances. Counsel applies the principles taught by the Church, and enlivened by Knowledge and Understanding, to the innumerable concrete cases that confront us in the course of our daily duty as Religious, as parents, as members of the Church, and as Christian citizens. Counsel is supernatural common sense, a priceless treasure in the quest of salvation. "Above all these things, pray to the Most High, that He may direct thy way in truth."

Let us Pray: Come, O Spirit of Counsel, help and guide me in all ways, that I may always do Thy Will. Incline my heart to that which is good; turn it away from all that is evil, and direct me by the straight path of Thy commandments to that goal of eternal life for which I long. Amen. Litany of the Holy Ghost, Pater, Ave, Gloria; Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost.

Meditation for the Eighth Day: On the Gift of True Wisdom

Embodying all other gifts, as charity embraces all other virtues, Wisdom is the most perfect of the gifts. Of Wisdom it is written: "...all good things come to me with her, and innumerable riches through her hands." It is the Gift of Wisdom that strengthens our faith, fortifies our hope, perfects charity, promotes the practice of virtues in the highest degree, and makes us to appreciate the beauty and treasures of our holy Catholic Faith. Wisdom enlightens the mind to discern and relish things Divine, in the appreciation of which earthly joys lose their savor, whilst the Cross of Christ yields a Divine sweetness according to the words of Our Savior: "Take up thy cross and follow Me, for My yoke is sweet and My burden light."

Let us Pray: Come, O Spirit of Wisdom, and reveal to my soul the mysteries of Heavenly things, their exceeding greatness, power, and beauty. Teach me to love them above all passing joys and satisfactions of earth. Help me to attain them and possess them forever. Amen. Litany of the Holy Ghost, Pater, Ave, Gloria; Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost.

Meditation for the Ninth Day: On the Fruits of the Holy Ghost

The Gifts of the Holy Ghost perfect the supernatural virtues by enabling us to practice them with greater docility to Divine inspiration. As we grow in the knowledge and love of God under the direction of the Holy Ghost, speaking through the Church, our service becomes more sincere and generous, the practice of virtue more perfect. Such acts of virtue leave the heart filled with true joy and consolation and are known as the fruits of the Holy Ghost. These fruits in turn render the practice of virtue more attractive and become a powerful incentive for still greater efforts in the service of God, "to serve Whom is to reign."

Let us Pray: Come, O Divine Spirit, fill my heart with Thy heavenly fruits: Thy charity, joy, peace, patience, benignity, goodness, faith, mildness, modesty, continence, long-suffering and temperance, that I may never weary in the service of God, but by continual obedience to the counsels of the Church which prompt faithful submission to Thy inspiration may merit to be united eternally with Thee in the love of the Father and the Son. Amen. Litany of the Holy Ghost, Pater, Ave, Gloria; Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Josephine87

I feel like I have a decent handle on Christmas and Easter.  But Ascension and Pentecost I think I'm a bit fuzzy on.  What are some good resources or meditations to learn more about their significance?  I hope I'm not hijacking your thread.  If I am, I'll make another one.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Xavier

Hi Josephine. Sure. There are some nice sermons on Pentecost Sunday and its significance on http://www.traditionalsermons.com/ I hope they are helpful. Especially http://www.traditionalsermons.com/content/2016-05-15-pentecost-gifts-and-grace-holy-spirit
And http://www.traditionalsermons.com/content/2015-05-24-pentecost-he-dwells-you-and-you-him
And http://www.traditionalsermons.com/content/2013-05-19-pentecost-and-irresistible-power-holy-spirit

One area of meditation could be the amazing Power of the Holy Spirit and the remarkable transformation He makes in the lives of the Apostles after He confirms them in Faith and falls on them as flames of fire; from being filled with fear, to having His gift of fortitude and bearing fearless witness, from being weak to being full of His grace and strength etc. Our confirmation graces should have been similar in making us soldiers of and for Christ. But every Pentecost can be a renewing and strengthening of those confirmation graces.

"These are sacred days between the Ascension and Pentecost. We should duplicate the ascetical life of the Apostles who were being led at this time by the Master Spiritual Director, Our Lord, through the purgative, illuminative and unitive states. Once confirmed in grace by the Holy Ghost they were ready for their mission to convert the world. We can do the same if we respond to the invitation of God." http://servi.org/traditional-catholic-sermons/

Continued from Salve Maria Regina:"Litany of the Holy Ghost
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Father all powerful, have mercy on us.
Jesus, Eternal Son of the Father, Redeemer of the world, save us.
Spirit of the Father and the Son, boundless life of Both, sanctify us.
Holy Trinity, hear us.
Holy Ghost, Who proceedest from the Father and the Son, enter our hearts.
Holy Ghost, Who art equal to the Father and the Son, enter our hearts.
Promise of God the Father, have mercy on us.
Ray of heavenly light,
Author of all good,
Source of heavenly water,
Consuming fire,
Ardent charity,
Spiritual unction,
Spirit of love and truth,
Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
Spirit of counsel and fortitude,
Spirit of knowledge and piety,
Spirit of the fear of the Lord,
Spirit of grace and prayer,
Spirit of peace and meekness,
Spirit of modesty and innocence,
Holy Ghost, the Comforter,
Holy Ghost, the Sanctifier,
Holy Ghost, Who governest the Church,
Gift of God, the Most High,
Spirit Who fillest the universe,
Spirit of the adoption of the children of God,
Holy Ghost, inspire us with horror of sin.
Holy Ghost, come and renew the face of the earth.
Holy Ghost, shed Thy light in our souls.
Holy Ghost, engrave Thy law in our hearts.
Holy Ghost, inflame us with the flame of Thy love.
Holy Ghost, open to us the treasures of Thy graces.
Holy Ghost, teach us to pray well.
Holy Ghost, enlighten us with Thy heavenly inspirations.
Holy Ghost, lead us in the way of salvation.
Holy Ghost, grant us the only necessary knowledge.
Holy Ghost, inspire in us the practice of good.
Holy Ghost, grant us the merits of all virtues.
Holy Ghost, make us persevere in justice.
Holy Ghost, be Thou our everlasting reward.

Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, send us Thy Holy Ghost.
Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, pour down into our souls the gifts of the Holy Ghost.
Lamb of God, Who takest away the sins of the world, grant us the Spirit of wisdom and piety.>

V. Come Holy Ghost! Fill the hearts of Thy faithful.
R. And enkindle in them the fire of Thy love.

Let us Pray. Grant, O merciful Father, that Thy Divine Spirit enlighten, inflame and purify us, that He may penetrate us with His heavenly dew and make us fruitful in good works; through Our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Who with Thee, in the unity of the same Holy Ghost, liveth and reigneth forever and ever. Amen.

Prayer to the Holy Ghost

O Holy Ghost, Soul of my soul, I adore Thee, I love Thee, I praise Thee, I thank Thee. Enlighten, guide, strengthen, console me. Inspire me what I ought to do, and command me to do it. I promise to be submissive in everything that Thou permittest to happen to me; only show me Thy holy will, and fill me with Thy grace and Thy love to refuse Thee nothing, no matter how difficult it may be. I abandon myself entirely to Thee through Mary. Strengthen my will to carry out all my resolutions, and give me the grace of perseverance. Teach me how to pray. Grant me the grace to pray with unlimited confidence of being heard, according to God's holy will.

Give me true humility of heart. Increase and strengthen my faith in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Holy Eucharist. Make me an ardent adorer and lover of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. Strengthen my love and confidence in our Blessed Mother.

Holy Ghost, I offer Thee the loving Heart of Jesus to repair for all my offenses and negligences.

I consecrate myself unreservedly to Thee, through Mary, Thy Immaculate Spouse. I place all my trust in Thee. Help me to make Thee better known and loved throughout the world. Give me an intense zeal for souls, to console Jesus. Amen."

Josephine87

Thank you, Xavier. That's very helpful.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

Xavier

Concluding Prayers to the Lord, the Holy Ghost: "Prayers for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Ghost

(recite alternate prayer each day)

Let us Pray: O Lord Jesus Christ, Who, before ascending into Heaven, didst promise to send the Holy Ghost to finish Thy work in the souls of Thy Apostles and their apostolic successors, the Bishops of the Church, grant me through obedience to Them, the grace of the Holy Ghost that He may perfect in my soul the work of Thy grace and Thy love. Grant me the Spirit of Wisdom that I may despise the perishable things of this world and aspire only after the things that are eternal; the Spirit of Understanding to enlighten my mind with the light of Thy Divine Truth; the Spirit of Counsel that I may ever choose the surest way of pleasing God and gaining Heaven; the Spirit of Fortitude that I may bear all of my crosses with Thee and that I may overcome with courage all obstacles that oppose my salvation; the Spirit of Knowledge that I may know God and know myself and grow perfect in the science of the saints; the Spirit of Piety that I may find the service of God sweet and amiable; the Spirit of Fear that I may be filled with a loving reverence towards God and may dread in any way to displease Him. Mark me, dear Lord, with the sign of Thy true disciples and animate me in all things with Thy Spirit. Amen.

Let us Pray: O Spirit of Wisdom, preside over all my thoughts, words, and actions, so that in all things, I may love God for His own sake above all things. Spirit of Understanding, do Thou teach and enlighten me, so that I may never waver in my holy Faith, but ever enjoy true peace of mind and heart. Spirit of Knowledge, teach me how to look at all things in their true light, so that I may not be kept bound by an undue attachment to earthly matters, but ever enjoy and rejoice in Heavenly comforts. Spirit of Counsel, lead me into all the ways of prudence, so that on all occasions I may do what is proper, and show myself discreet, yet showing true love and forbearance in the daily relation with my fellow man. Spirit of Fortitude, strengthen my weakness so that I may not be discouraged by any obstacle in the path of virtue, but humbly and willingly submit to the crosses and trials of life. Spirit of Piety, implant in my soul filial love and affection towards God, my Heavenly Father and a brotherly love towards all men, so as to truly delight in the service of God and my neighbor. Spirit of Holy Fear, restrain me from all evil so that I may serve God with a clean heart and chaste body. O Holy Ghost, Eternal Love of the Father and the Son, vouchsafe to grant unto me, I beseech Thee the fruit of Charity, that I may be united to Thee by Divine Love; the fruit of Joy, that I may be filled with holy consolation; the fruit of Peace, that I may enjoy tranquillity of soul; the fruit of Patience, that I may endure humbly everything that may be opposed to my own desires; the fruit of Benignity, that I may willingly relieve the necessities of my neighbor; the fruit of Goodness, that I may be benevolent to all; the fruit of Longanimity, that I may not be discouraged by delay, but may persevere in prayer; the fruit of Mildness, that I may subdue every rising of evil temper, stifle every murmur, and repress the susceptibilities of my fallen nature in all my dealings with my neighbor; the fruit of Fidelity, that I may rely with assured confidence on the Word of God; the fruit of Modesty, that I may order my exterior conduct with regularity; the fruit of Continency and Chastity, that I may keep my body in such holiness as becometh Thy temple; so that having by Thy assistance, preserved my heart pure on earth, I may merit in Jesus Christ to see God eternally in the glory of His Kingdom, with my beloved Mother Mary, and all the Angels and Saints. Amen.

Closing Hymn
O Comforter, to Thee we cry, Thou heavn'ly Gift of God most high;
Thou fount of life and fire of love, and sweet anointing from above... (twice)"