RULE/MARTYROLOGY THREAD

Started by OmniaInstaurareInChristo, May 01, 2013, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for January 23:

CHAPTER V
Of Obedience (cont.)

But this very obedience will then only be acceptable to God and sweet to men, if what is commanded be done not fearfully, tardily, nor coldly, nor with murmuring, nor with an answer shewing unwillingness; for the obedience which is given to superiors is given to God, since He Himself hath said: "He that heareth you, heareth Me." And it ought to be given by disciples with a good will, because "God loveth a cheerful giver." For if the disciple obey with ill-will, and murmur not only with his lips but even in his heart, although he fulfil the command, yet it will not be accepted by God, Who regardeth the heart of the murmurer. And for such an action he shall gain no reward; nay, rather, he shall incur the punishment due to murmurers, unless he amend and make satisfaction.

Martyrology-January 24th
Roman Martyrology-January 24th-on this date in various years-

At Ephesus, St. Timothy, disciple of the apostle St. Paul, who ordained him bishop of that city. After many labours for Christ, he was stoned for rebuking those who offered sacrifices to Diana, and shortly after went peacefully to his rest in the Lord.

At Antioch, in the persecution of Decius, Bishop St. Babylas, who frequently glorified God by his sufferings and torments, ended his life in chains, with which he ordered his body to be buried. Three boys, whom he had instructed in the faith of Christ, Urbanus, Prilidian, and Epolonius, are said to have suffered with him.

At Foligno in Umbria, St. Felician, consecrated bishop of that city by Pope St. Victor I. After many labours, in extreme old age, he was crowned with martyrdom in the time of Decius.

At Neocaesarea, the holy martyrs Mardonius, Musonius, Eugenius, and Metellus, who were all burned to death, and their remains thrown into the river.

Also, the holy martyrs Thyrsus and Projectus.

At Cingoli in Piceno, St. Exuperantius, confessor and bishop of that city, who attained great fame by his miracles.

At Bologna, St. Zamas, the first bishop of that city, who was consecrated by Pope St. Denis, and there did wonders in spreading the Christian faith.

Also, blessed Suranus, abbot, who lived in the time of the Lombards.

And elsewhere in divers places, many other holy martyrs, confessors, and holy virgins.
R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for January 24:

CHAPTER VI
Of the Practice of Silence

Let us do as saith the prophet: "I said,  I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue, I have placed a watch over my mouth; I became dumb and was silent, and held my peace even from good things." Here the prophet sheweth that if we ought at times to refrain even from good words for the sake of silence, how much more ought we to abstain from evil words, on account of the punishment due to sin.

Therefore, on account of the importance of silence, let leave to speak be seldom granted even to perfect disciples,* although their conversation be good and holy and tending to edification; because it is written: "In much speaking thou shalt not avoid sin"; and elsewhere: "Death and life are in the power of the tongue." For it becometh the master to speak and to teach, but it beseemeth the disciple to be silent and to listen. And therefore, if anything has to be asked of the Superior, let it be done with all humility and subjection of reverence. But as for buffoonery or idle words, such as move to laughter, we utterly condemn them in every place, nor do we allow the disciple to open his mouth in such discourse.

Martyrology-January 25th
Roman Martyrology-January 25th-on this date in various years-

The conversion of St. Paul the Apostle, which occurred in the second year after the Ascension of our Lord.

At Damascus, the birthday of St. Ananias, who was a disciple of our Lord, and baptized the apostle Paul. After he had preached the Gospel at Damascus, Eleutheropolis, and elsewhere, he was scourged under the judge Licinius, had his flesh torn, and lastly being overwhelmed with stones, ended his martyrdom.

In the Auvergne in France, the Saints Praejectus, bishop, and Amarinus, abbot of Doroang, who were murdered by the leading men of that city.

At Antioch, in the time of Julian the Apostate, the holy martyrs Juvenius and Maximus, who were crowned with martyrdom. On their birthday, St. John Chrysostom preached a sermon to his people.

Also, the holy martyrs Donatus, Sabinus, and Agape.

At Tomis in Scythia, St. Bretannio, bishop, who worked in the Church shewing great sanctity and zeal for the Catholic faith, and was at the same time bravely opposed to the Arian emperor Valens.

At Marchiennes in France, St. Poppo, priest and abbot, renowned for his miracles.

And elsewhere in divers places, many other holy martyrs, confessors, and holy virgins.
R. Thanks be to God.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for January 25:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility

The Holy Scripture crieth out to us, brethren, saying: "Every one that exalteth himself shall be humbled, and he who humbleth himself shall be exalted." In saying this, it teacheth us that all exaltation is a kind of pride, against which the prophet sheweth himself to be on his guard when he saith: "Lord, my heart is not exalted nor mine eyes lifted up; nor have I walked in great things, nor in wonders above me." For why? "If I did not think humbly, but exalted my soul: like a child that is weaned from his mother, so wilt Thou requite my soul." Whence, brethren, if we wish to arrive at the highest point of humility, and speedily to reach that heavenly exaltation to which we can only ascend by the humility of this present life, we must by our ever-ascending actions erect such a ladder * as that which Jacob beheld in his dream, by which the angels appeared to him descending and ascending. This descent and ascent signifieth nothing else than that we descend by self-exaltation and ascend by humility. And the ladder thus erected is our life in the world, which, if the heart be humbled, is lifted up by the Lord to heaven. The sides of the same ladder we understand to be our body and soul, in which our divine vocation hath placed various degrees of humility or discipline, which we must ascend.

Martyrology-January 26th
Roman Martyrology-January 26th-on this date in various years-

St. Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna and martyr, who gained the crown of martyrdom on the 23rd of February.

At Hippo in Africa, the holy bishop Theogenes and thirty-six others, who, despising temporal death, obtained the crown of eternal life in the persecution of Valerian.

At Bethlehem of Judea, the death of St. Paula, widow, mother of St. Eustochium, a virgin of Christ, who abandoned her worldly prospects, though she was descended from a noble line of senators, distributed her goods to the poor, and retired to our Lord's manger, where, endowed with many virtues, and crowned with a long martyrdom, she departed for the kingdom of heaven. Her admirable life was written by St. Jerome.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for January 26:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The first degree of humility, then, is that a man, always keeping the fear of God before his eyes, avoid all forgetfulness; and that he be ever mindful of all that God hath commanded, bethinking himself that those who despise God will be consumed in hell for their sins, and that life everlasting is prepared for them that fear Him. And keeping himself at all times from sin and vice, whether of the thoughts, the tongue, the hands, the feet, or his own will, let him thus hasten to cut off the desires of the flesh.

Martyrology-January 27th
Roman Martyrology-January 27th-on this date in various years-

St. John Chrysostom, Bishop of Constantinople, confessor and doctor of the Church, and the heavenly patron of preachers, who fell asleep in the Lord on the 14th of September. His holy body was brought to Constantinople on this day in the reign of Theodosius the younger; it was afterwards taken to Rome and placed in the basilica of the Prince of the Apostles.

At Brescia, the birthday of St. Angela Merici, virgin, who belonged to the Third Order of St. Francis, and who founded the Order of the Nuns of St. Ursula, whose principal aim is to direct young girls in the ways of the Lord. By a decree of Pope Pius IX her feast is celebrated on the 31st of May.

At Le Mans in France, the death of St. Julian, the first bishop of that city, who was sent there by St. Peter to preach the Gospel.

At Sora, St. Julian, martyr, who, being arrested in the persecution of Antoninus, was beheaded because a pagan temple had fallen to the ground while he was being tortured.

In Africa, St. Avitus, martyr.

In the same country, the holy martyrs Datius, Reatrus, and their companions, who suffered in the persecution of the Vandals.

Also, the holy martyrs Dativus, Julian, Vincent, and twenty-seven others.

At Rome, St. Vitalian, pope.

In the monastery of Bobbio in France, St. Maur, abbot.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for January 27:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

Let him consider that he is always beheld from heaven by God, and that his actions are everywhere seen by the eye of the Divine Majesty, and are every hour reported to Him by His angels. This the prophet telleth us, when he sheweth how God is ever present in our thoughts, saying: "God searcheth the heart and the reins." And again "The Lord knoweth the thoughts of men." And he also saith: "Thou hast understood my thoughts afar off"; and "The thought of man shall confess to Thee." In order, therefore, that he may be on his guard against evil thoughts, let the humble brother say ever in his heart: "Then shall I be unspotted before Him, if I shall have kept me from mine iniquity."

Martyrology-January 28th
Roman Martyrology-January 28th-on this date in various years-

St. Peter Nolasco, confessor, who founded the Order of Our Lady of Ransom for the redemption of captives, and who fell asleep in the Lord on the 25th of December.

At Rome, the second feast of St. Agnes, virgin and martyr.

At Alexandria, the birthday of St. Cyril, bishop of that city, a most celebrated defender of the Catholic faith, who died in peace, with a great reputation for learning and sanctity. His feast, however, is kept on the ninth of February.

At Rome, St. Flavian, martyr, who suffered under Diocletian.

At Alexandria, the commemoration of many holy martyrs, who, while they were at Mass in the church on this day, were put to death in different ways by the followers of Syrianus, an Arian general.

At Appollonia, the holy martyrs Thrysus, Leucius, and Callinicus, who were made to undergo various torments in the time of Emperor Decius. Thyrsus and Callinicus were beheaded; Leucius, called by a heavenly voice, yielded his soul unto God.

In Thebais, the holy martyrs Leonides and his companions, who obtained the palm of martyrdom in the time of Diocletian.

At Saragossa in Spain, St. Valerius, bishop.

At Cuenca in Spain, the birthday of St. Julian, bishop, who, after bestowing the goods of the Church on the poor, like the apostles, supported himself by the work of his hands, and went to his God famous for his miracles.

In the monastery of Rheims in France, the death of the holy priest John, a devout man of God.

In Palestine, St. James, hermit, who hid himself a long time in a sepulchre in order to do penance for a fault he had committed, and, being celebrated for miracles, departed for heaven.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for January 28:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

We are, indeed, forbidden to do our own will by Scripture, which saith to us: turn away from thine own will. And so too we beg of God in prayer that His will may be done in us. Rightly therefore are we taught not to do our own will, if we take heed to the warning of Scripture: "There are ways which to men seem right, but the ends thereof lead to the depths of hell"; or, again, when we tremble at what is said of the careless: "They are corrupt and have become abominable in their pleasures." And in regard to the desires of the flesh, we must believe that God is always present to us, as the prophet saith to the Lord: "O Lord, all my desire is before Thee."

Martyrology-January 29th
Roman Martyrology-January 29th-on this date in various years-

St. Francis de Sales, bishop of Geneva, confessor and doctor of the Church, special patron before God of all Catholic writers in explaining, promoting, or defending Christian doctrine either by publishing journals or other writings in the vernacular. He departed to heaven on the 28th of December, but because of the transfer of his body on this day, his feast is now celebrated.

At Treves, the death of the blessed bishop Valerius, disciple of the apostle St. Peter.

At Rome, on the Via Nomentana, the birthday of the holy martyrs Papias and Maur, soldiers under Emperor Diocletian. At their first confession of Christ they had their mouths bruised with stones and were thrown into prison by order of Laodicius, prefect of the city. Afterwards they were beaten with rods and with leaded whips until they expired.

At Perugia, in the time of Marcus Aurelius, St. Constantius, bishop and martyr, who, together with his companions, received the crown of martyrdom for the defence of the faith.

At Milan, St. Aquilinus, priest, who was crowned with martyrdom by having his throat pierced with a sword by the Arians.

At Edessa in Syria, the holy martyrs Sabellus and his sister Barbea, who were baptized by the blessed bishop Barsimaeus, and crowned with martyrdom in the persecution of Trajan, under the governor Lysias.

In the territory of Troyes, St. Sabinian, martyr, who was beheaded for the faith of Christ by command of the emperor Aurelian.

At Bourges, St. Sulpice Severus, bishop, distinguished by his virtues and learning.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for January 29:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

Let us be on our guard, then, against evil desires, since death hath its seat close to the entrance of delight; wherefore the Scripture commandeth us, saying: ""Go not after thy concupiscences." Since, therefore, "The eyes of the Lord behold the good and the evil," and "The Lord is ever looking down from heaven upon the children of men, to see who hath understanding or is seeking God, and since the works of our hands are reported to Him day and night by the angels appointed to watch over us; we must be always on the watch, brethren, lest, as the prophet saith in the psalm, God should see us at any time declining to evil and become unprofitable; and lest, though He spare us now, because He is merciful and expecteth our conversion, He should say to us hereafter: "These things thou didst and I held my peace."

Martyrology-January 30th
Roman Martyrology-January 30th-on this date in various years-

St. Martina, virgin and martyr, who is commemorated on her birthday, the first day of this month.

At Edessa in Syria, in the reign of Trajan, St. Barsimaeus, bishop, who converted many Gentiles to the faith, sent them before him to gain their crown, and then followed them with the palm of martyrdom.

At Antioch, the passion of the blessed Hippolytus, priest, who for a short time deceived by the Novatian schism, was converted by the grace of Christ, and returned to the unity of the Church, for which and in which he afterwards underwent a glorious martyrdom. Being asked by the schismatics, which was the better side, he said that he detested the doctrine of Novatus, and that the faith which the Chair of Peter taught ought to be professed, after which he was beheaded.

In Africa, the passion of the holy martyrs Felician, Philappian, and one hundred and twenty-four others.

Blessed Alexander, a man of venerable aspect and advanced age, who was apprehended in the persecution of Decius. After gloriously and repeatedly confessing the faith, in the midst of torments he gave up his soul unto God.

At Edessa in Syria, St Barsen, bishop, renowned for the gift of healing diseases. For holding to the Catholic faith he was banished by the Arian emperor Valens into the most remote corner of that country, and he there ended his days.

At Jerusalem, the birthday of St. Matthias, bishop, of whom wonderful deeds are related which were inspired by faith. After having endured many trials for Christ under Adrian, he passed away in peace.

At Pavia, St. Armentarius, bishop and confessor.

In Hainaut, in the monastery of Maubeuge, St. Aldegund, virgin, who lived in the time of King Dagobert.

At Viterbo, the holy virgin Hyacinth Mariscotti, a nun of the Third Order of St. Francis, distinguished for the virtues of penance and charity. She was inscribed among the saints by Pope Pius VII.

At Milan, St. Savina, a most religious woman, who went to rest in the Lord while praying at the tomb of the holy martyrs Nabor and Felix.

In the district of Paris, St. Bathilde, queen, renowned for the worthiness of her miracles and her sanctity.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for January 30:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The second degree of humility is, that a man love not his own will, nor delight in fulfilling his own desires; but carry out in his deeds that saying of the Lord: "I came not to do mine own will, but the will of Him Who sent me." And again Scripture saith: "Self-will hath punishment, but necessity wins the crown." *

Martyrology-January 31st
Roman Martyrology-January 31st-on this date in various years-

For 2021 Septuagesima Sunday, on which the canticle of the Lord, Alleluia, ceaseth to be said.

At Turin,the birthday of St. John Bosco, confessor, founder of the Salesian Congregation and of the Institute of the Daughters of Mary, Help of Christians. Conspicuous for his zeal for souls and for the propagation of the faith, he was canonized by Pope Pius XI.

At Rome, on the road to Ostia, the holy martyrs Cyrus and John, who were beheaded after suffering many torments for the name of Christ.

At Alexandria, in the time of Emperor Decius, the birthday of St. Metran, martyr, who, because he refused to utter blasphemous words at the bidding of the pagans, had his body all bruised with blows, and his face and eyes pierced with sharp pointed reeds. He was then driven out of the city and stoned to death.

In the same place, the holy martyrs Saturninus, Thyrsus, and Victor.

Also at Alexandria, the holy martyrs Tharsicius, Zoticus, Cyriacus, and their companions.

At Cyzicum in the Hellespont, St. Triphenes, martyr, who overcame various torments, but was finally killed by a bull, and thus merited the palm of martyrdom.

At Modena, St. Geminian, bishop, made illustrious by his miracles.

In the province of Milan, St. Julius, priest and confessor, in the reign of the emperor Theodosius.

At Naples, St. Francis Xavier-Maria Bianchi, confessor, cleric regular of St. Paul, renowned for miracles, heavenly gifts and an admirable patience, whom Pope Pius XII raised to the supreme honour of sainthood.

At Rome, St. Marcella, widow, whose meritorious deeds are related by St. Jerome.

Also at Rome, blessed Louise Albertonia, a Roman widow, member of the Third Order of St. Francis, distinguished for her virtues.

The same day, the transfer of the revered body of the Evangelist St. Mark from the city of Alexandria in Egypt, then occupied by barbarians, to Venice, and with the greatest honours placed in the large church dedicated to his name.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for January 31:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The third degree of humility is, that a man for the love of God submit himself to his superior in all obedience; imitating the Lord, of Whom the apostle saith: "He was made obedient even unto death."

Martyrology-February 1st
Roman Martyrology-February 1st-on this date in various years-

St. Ignatius, bishop of Antioch and martyr, who gloriously suffered martyrdom on the 20th of December.

At Smyrna, St. Pionius, priest and martyr, who, after writing apologies for the Catholic faith, and after suffering imprisonment in a loathsome dungeon, where by his exhortations he encouraged many of his brethren even to martyrdom, and after enduring excruciating pains from being pierced with nails and laid on a hot fire, ended happily his life for Christ. With him suffered fifteen others.

At Ravenna, the holy bishop Severus, whose great virtues deserved that he should be raised to the episcopate, which action was confirmed with the sign of a dove.

At Trois-Chateaux in France, St. Paul, bishop, whose life was eminent for virtues, and whose death was made precious by miracles.

At Kildare in Ireland, St. Bridget, virgin. Once, when she touched the wood of an altar, it immediately sprouted into life, in testimony of her virginity.

At Castel-Fiorentino in Tuscany, the blessed virgin Veridiana, a recluse of the Order Vallombrosa.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 1:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The fourth degree of humility is, that if in this very obedience hard and contrary things, nay even injuries, are done to him, he should embrace them patiently with a quiet conscience, and not grow weary or give in, as the Scripture saith: "He that shall persevere to the end shall be saved." And again: "Let thy heart be comforted, and wait for the Lord." And shewing how the faithful man ought to bear all things, however contrary, for the Lord, it saith in the person of the afflicted: "For Thee we suffer death all the day long; we are esteemed as sheep for the slaughter." And secure in their hope of the divine reward, they go on with joy, saying: "But in all these things we overcome, through Him Who hath loved us." And so in another place Scripture saith: "Thou hast proved us, O God; Thou hast tried us as silver is tried by fire; Thou hast led us into the snare, and hast laid tribulation on our backs." And in order to shew that we ought to be under a superior, it goes on to say: "Thou hast placed men over our heads." Moreover, fulfilling the precept of the Lord by patience in adversities and injuries, they who are struck on one cheek offer the other: to him who taketh away their coat they leave also their cloak; and being forced to walk one mile, they go two. With Paul the Apostle, they bear with false brethren, and bless those that curse them.

Martyrology-February 2nd
Roman Martyrology-February 2nd-on this date in various years-

The Purification of the Blessed Virgin Mary, called by the Greeks the Hypapante (meeting) of the Lord.

At Caesarea in Palestine, St. Cornelius, a centurion, whom the blessed apostle Peter baptized, and raised to the episcopal dignity in that city.

At Rome, on the Salarian Way, the passion of St. Apronian,, a notary. While he was yet a heathen, and was leading St. Sisinius out of prison to present him before the governor Laodicius, he head a voice from heaven saying: Come, ye blessed of my Father, possess the kingdom which I have prepared for you from the beginning of the world." At once he believed, was baptized, and after confessing our Lord, received sentence of death.

Also at Rome, the holy martyrs Fortunatus, Felician, Firmus and Candidus.

At Orleans in France , the holy bishop Flosculus.

At Canterbury in England, the birthday of St. Lawrence, bishop, who succeeded St. Augustine in the government of that church, and converted the king himself to the faith.

At Prati in Tuscany, St. Catherine de Ricci, a virgin of Florence, member of the Order of Preachers, famous for a plenitude of heavenly gifts. Pope Benedict XIV placed her name on the roll of holy virgins.

At Bordeaux in France, St. Joan de Lestonnac, widow, foundress of the Daughters of the blessed Virgin Mary, renowned for the practice of charity and the care of her girl pupils, and whom Pope Pius XII raised to the number of the saints.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 2:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The fifth degree of humility is, not to hide from one's Abbot any of the evil thoughts that beset one's heart, or the sins committed in secret, but humbly to confess them. Concerning which the Scripture exhorteth us, saying: "Make known thy way unto the Lord, and hope in Him." And again: "Confess to the Lord, for He is good, and His mercy endureth for ever." So also the prophet saith: "I have made known to Thee mine offence, and mine iniquities I have not hidden. I will confess against myself my iniquities to the Lord: and Thou hast forgiven the wickedness of my heart."

Martyrology-February 3rd
Roman Martyrology-February 3rd-on this date in various years-

At Sebaste in Armenia, in the time of the governor Agricolaus, the passion of St. Blaise, bishop and martyr, who, after working many miracles, was scourged for a long time, suspended from a tree where his flesh was lacerated with iron combs. He was then imprisoned in a dark dungeon, thrown into a lake from which he came out safe, and finally, by order of the judge, he and two boys were beheaded. Before him, seven women who were gathering the drops of his blood during his torture, were recognized as Christians, and after undergoing severe torments, were put to death by the sword.

In Africa, St. Celerinus, deacon, who was kept nineteen days in prison burdened with fetters, and who gloriously confessed Christ in the midst of afflictions. By overcoming the enemy with invincible constancy, he shewed to others the road to victory.

In the same place, three holy martyrs who were relatives of the same deacon Celerinus; his father's brother Laurentinus, his mother's brother Ignatius and his grandmother Celerina. They were crowned with martyrdom earlier, and were praised highly in an epistle by blessed Cyprian.

Likewise in Africa, the holy martyrs Felix, Symphronius, Hippolytus, and their companions.

In the town of Gap in France, the holy bishops Tigides and Remedius.

At Lyons in France, Saints Lupicinus and Felix, also bishops.

At Bremen, St. Ansgar, bishop of Hamburg and later of Bremen, who converted the Swedes and the Danes to the faith of Christ. He was appointed Apostolic Delegate of all the North by Pope Gregory IV.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 3:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The sixth degree of humility is, for a monk to be contented with the meanest and worst of everything, and in all that is enjoined him to esteem himself a bad and worthless labourer, saying with the prophet: "I have been brought to nothing, and I knew it not: I am become as a beast before Thee, yet I am always with Thee."

Martyrology-February 4th
Roman Martyrology-February 4th-on this date in various years-

St. Andrew Corsini, Carmelite bishop of Fiesole, confessor, whose birthday is the 6th of January.

At Rome, St. Eutychius, who endured a glorious martyrdom and was buried in the cemetery of Callistus. Pope St. Damasus wrote an epitaph in verse for his tomb.

At Thumis in Egypt, in the persecution of Diocletian, the passion of blessed Philaeus, bishop of that city, and of Philoromus, military tribune, who rejected the exhortations of their relatives and friends to save themselves, offered themselves to death, and so merited immortal palms from God. With them was crowned with martyrdom a numberless multitude of the faithful of the same place, who followed the example of their pastor.

At Fossombrone, the holy martyrs Aquilinus, Geminus, Gelasius, Magnus, and Donatus.

In Marava Kingdom in India, St. John de Britto, priest of the Society of Jesus, who having converted many infidels to the faith, was gloriously crowned with martyrdom.

At Troyes in France, St. Aventin, priest and confessor.

At Pelusium in Egypt, St. Isidore, a monk renowned for merit and learning.

At Sempringham in England, St. Gilbert, priest and confessor, who founded a religious order at Sempringham.

In the town of Amatrice, in the diocese of Rieti, the death of St. Joseph of Leonissa, a Capuchin priest who suffered greatly from the Mohammedans. As he was celebrated for his apostolic labours and miracles, he was placed on the list of holy confessors by the Sovereign Pontiff, Benedict XIV.

At Bremen, the commemoration of St. Rembert, who was a disciple of St. Ansgar, and on this day took his place as bishop of Hamburg and Bremen, the day after the death of his master.

At Bourges in Aquitaine, St. Jane de Valois, Queen of France, foundress of the Order of Sisters of the Annunciation of the blessed Virgin Mary, renowned for her piety and singular devotion to the Cross, whom Pope Pius XII added to the catalogue of saints.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 4:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The seventh degree of humility is, that he should not only call himself with his tongue lower and viler than all, but also believe himself in his inmost heart to be so, humbling himself, and saying with the prophet: "I am a worm and no man, the shame of men and the outcast of the people: I have been exalted, and cast down, and confounded." And again: "It is good for me that Thou hast humbled me, that I may learn Thy commandments."

Martyrology-February 5th
Roman Martyrology-February 5th-on this date in various years-

At Catana in Sicily, in the time of Emperor Decius and the judge Quinctian, the birthday of St. Agatha, virgin and martyr. After being buffeted, imprisoned, tortured, racked, dragged over pieces of earthenware and burning coals, and having her breasts cut away, she completed her sacrifice in prison while engaged in prayer.

At Nagasaki in Japan, the passion of twenty-six martyrs. Three priests, one cleric, and two lay brothers were members of the Order of Friars Minor; one cleric was of the Society of Jesus, and seventeen belonged to the Third Order of St. Francis. All of them, placed upon crosses for the Catholic faith, and pierced with lances, gloriously died in praising God and preaching that same faith. Their names were added to the roll of saints by Pope Pius IX.

In Pontus, during the persecution of Maximian, the commemoration of many holy martyrs, some of whom had molten lead poured on them, others had sharp reeds thrust under their nails, and were often horribly tormented in many other ways. Thus, by their glorious suffering, they deserved to receive at the hands of God palms of victory and their crowns.

At Alexandria, during the persecution of Decius, St. Isidore, martyr, who was beheaded for the faith of Christ by Numerian, general of the army.

At Vienne, blessed Avitus, bishop and confessor, whose faith, labours, and admirable learning protected France against the ravages of the Arian heresy.

At Sabion in the Tyrol, St. Genuinus, bishop, whose illustrious life abounded in miracles. His revered body was afterwards taken to Brixen where a shrine was erected in his honour.

At Brixen, St. Albinus, bishop, who moved the Episcopal See from Sabion to that city, and there, eminent by virtue of his miracles, passed to the Lord.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 5:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The eighth degree of humility is, for a monk to do nothing except what is authorised by the common rule of the monastery, or the example of his seniors.

Martyrology-February 6th
Roman Martyrology-February 6th-on this date in various years-

St. Titus, confessor and bishop of Crete, whose birthday is on the fourth of January.

At Caesarea in Cappadocia, the birthday of St. Dorothy, virgin and martyr, who was stretched on the rack, then scourged for a long time with the boughs of a palm tree, and finally condemned to capital punishment by Sapricius, governor of the province. Her noble confession of Christ converted a lawyer named Theophilus, who also was tortured in a barbarous manner, and finally put to death by the sword.

At Emessa in Phoenicia, in the time of Emperor Maximian, St. Silvanus, bishop, who, after having governed that church for forty years, was delivered to the beasts with two other Christians, and having his limbs all mangled, received the crown of martyrdom.

The same day, the holy martyrs Caturninus, Theophilus, and Revocata.

In Auvergne in France, St. Atholian, martyr.

At Arras in France, St. Vedast, bishop of that city. The glory of his life and death is attested by many miracles.

At Elnon in France, St. Amand, bishop of Maestricht, who was renowned for his miracles during his life and in death. In the town which was named after him, he lived and died in a monastery that he had built.

At Bologna, St. Guarinus, bishop of Palestrina and cardinal, conspicuous for his holiness of life.

R. Thanks be to God.

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The reading appointed from the Rule of St. Benedict for February 6:

CHAPTER VII
Of Humility (cont.)

The ninth degree of humility is, that a monk refrain his tongue from speaking, keeping silence until a question be asked him, as the Scripture sheweth: "In much talking thou shalt not avoid sin": and, "The talkative man shall not be directed upon the earth."

Martyrology-February 7th
Roman Martyrology-February 7th-on this date in various years-

St. Romuald, founder of the Camaldolese monks, whose birthday is the 19th of June, but celebrated today because of the transference of his body.

At London, England, the birthday of blessed Augulus, bishop, who ended the course of his life by martyrdom, and deserved to receive an eternal recompense.

In Phrygia, St. Adaucus, martyr, an Italian of noble birth, who was honoured by the emperors with almost every dignity. While he was still discharging the office of quæstor, he was judged worthy of the crown of martyrdom for his defence of the faith.

Also, many holy martyrs, citizens of this same city of which Adaucus was mayor. As they were all Christians, and persisted in the confession of the faith, they were burned to death by Emperor Galerius Maximian.

At Heraclea, in the reign of Licinius, St. Theodore, a military officer, who was beheaded after undergoing many torments, and went victoriously to heaven.

In Egypt, St. Moses, a venerable bishop, who first led a solitary life in the desert, and afterwards, at the request of Mauvia, queen of the Saracens, converted to the faith the greater part of that barbarous people. Being made a bishop, and rich in merits, he peacefully went to his reward.

At Lucca in Tuscany, the death of St. Richard, king of England. He was the father of St. Willebald, bishop of Eichstadt, and of St. Walburga, virgin.

At Bologna, St. Juliana, widow.

R. Thanks be to God.