TLM VS NOM survey Results

Started by St.Justin, February 27, 2019, 09:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmichaelj

In regards to the Correlation vs Causation Argument, my guess would be that there is a bit of both.  Certainly there is a selection bias towards more faithful Catholics in regards to attending the TLM.  However, some things about the TLM do reinforce certain aspects of the Catholic Faith (for example the Real Presence in the Eucharist, the role of priests, the omnipotence of God and our relationship to him).  With the NO these beliefs are watered down.  Also the TLM transmits the idea that our Faith is not changed base on a whim or personal preference. 

I am looking forward to the study which looks at the retention of the Faith of the adult childeren of those that attend the TLM vs. those that attend the NO.  Even there I suspect the results will be mixed and hard to interpret. 

My guess is that retention will be higher in the TLM than in the NO, but not as much as people might expect.  Generally, attending a TLM (and the associatied orthodoxy of the priest) means that you can't lie to yourself about whether you really hold the Catholic Faith or not.  Thus a child who grows up in the TLM and later rejects the faith will be honest about it and leave, whereas a child in the NO culture may keep going to Church as a cultural catholic, but as we see from the Pew poll, that doesn't mean they haven't left the Faith. 

I do believe that if they Hierarchy would just admit they made a mistake and roll back some/most of the changes- that would bolster the Faith of both the TLM and NO attendees.  :pray1:  It would also lead to lukewarm catholics leaving in droves- but many have obviously left the Faith already, and their leaving would also bolster the Faith of those remaining.  Unfortunately I suspect that the Hierarchy is worried most about the checkbooks that would leave with them.

rmichaelj

Also for those stating that the results are not able to be compared because the Pew research is looking at all Catholics, vs those who actually go to mass weekly-

If you look at the actual Pew research it does break down those who attend mass weekly vs. those who don't.  It makes a difference on on abortion, on others not so much.  For example- of those Catholics attending mass weekly 13% believe contraception is morally wrong while 87% don't.  Not much change there.  Whereas in regards to abortion 87% of weekly attending catholics believe it is wrong- vs. about half of all catholics believing it is wrong. 

In summary,  there is a big difference in viewpoints in regards to abortion between attending N.O. Catholics and non attending- but in the other areas- the differences are minor.