What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

Quote from: Pheo on December 29, 2013, 05:31:56 PM
Just finished Huxley's Brave New World.  What a depressing read (especially the ending).

Was this your first read?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Maximilian

Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 27, 2013, 10:23:19 AM

Yes, I have never read anything by Fr. Faber, but I am very definitely going to have to add one of his books to my reading list; any recommendations, Max? (Hopefully nothing to do with Scotsmens wearing kilts, Har!).

Drop whatever you're doing, stop wasting your time reading speculative theology, and pick up Fr. Faber's "Growth in Holiness." It is the ideal thing for someone like yourself. You can read it on-line for free, but it's worth the investment to buy a paper copy. I bought a used hardback ex-seminary some years back on Ebay or Amazon (or maybe Abe Books), and it's the best money I've ever spent.

Based on his experience being a spiritual director, Fr. Faber knows exactly why you and I are not progressing in the spiritual life, and what we should do about it. He has mastered all the medieval spiritual manuals and condensed them into a single, readable volume that is very accessible to the modern man. He is so personable that you feel that you know him as a good friend after reading some of his writing.

As traditional Catholics today, one of the problems we face is the lack of spiritual direction. Priests are simply too worn out with their excessively demanding schedules. And at no time in history were the majority of priests ever suited or qualified for spiritual direction, and today is probably the worst time in history, with so few priests to start from.

Fr. Faber's "Growth in Holiness" can fill this lacuna in your soul. He can be your spiritual director (up to a point of course). He will get you past many of the hurdles that we would never be able to figure out on our own.

Also good is Fr. Faber's "Spiritual Conferences." However, as the name implies, the work is not a unified whole, but rather a collection. An excellent collection that is well worth your time and investment to read. But "Growth in Holiness" has the superior virtue of being a finished work, with a beginning, a middle and an end, and it has a telos -- to get the reader to take their spiritual life seriously and to succeed where others have failed.

And after reading it, you will finally come to understand the brilliant profundity of the "no true scotsman" fallacy." (lol - No, that's asking too much, even of Fr. Faber.)

Pheo

Quote from: Bonaventure on December 29, 2013, 07:47:03 PM
Quote from: Pheo on December 29, 2013, 05:31:56 PM
Just finished Huxley's Brave New World.  What a depressing read (especially the ending).

Was this your first read?

Yep.  Somehow I avoided it till now.  I suppose as a warning it was interesting, and he had some prophetic insight into the dangers of rampant materialism and consumerism, but John's final act of despair seemed really out of character.

Edit: I'd say it's more applicable to our situation - at least in the West - than something like 1984 is, but I found it difficult to get around a few far-fetched aspects of the plot.  And it's probably not fair to look at it in contrast to my favourites by Orwell and Benson.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Michael Wilson

Max,
Thank you so much! I will indeed buy a copy of Fr. Faber's book and read it. I don't like to read things online (except for post on discussion forums of course! Ha!); I like to make notes in the back of my book on different ideas in the book that strike me as important.
I might even have a copy of Fr.'s book in my book shelves.
QuoteAnd after reading it, you will finally come to understand the brilliant profundity of the "no true scotsman" fallacy." (lol - No, that's asking too much, even of Fr. Faber.)
Har!
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Michael Wilson

Pheo stated:
QuoteI thought it was vindicated in the end (the long quote from Cardinal Newman was neat), but the part that bothered me most was how Christianity only ended up existing in a syncretist form.  Although to be fair, we find out about those independent islands at the end, so who knows what happens on them.

I liked John (the Savage) for most of his appearance.  He displayed self-mastery, virtue, and intelligence...until that strange ending.  It really seemed out of character.
I now remember little about the book, as I read it in High School (40 yrs ago). It made a bad impression on me at the time. I remember that it didn't offer any hope to the reader of a real alternative to the corrupt system of society in place.
The other horrible books that we had to read at our nominally Catholic High School were: "Catcher on the Rye" (horrible). "1984" (ditto). "Lord of the Flies"; this last one was a little better, but still none of them could be classified as "Catholic literature", or really appropriate for High School students.
Some of the literature books that we had to read, and that I did like were: "Fahrenheit 451". Arthur Clarke (an atheist) a future distopia, where the fire department burns books!!. "Anthem" by. Ayn Rand (another atheist). on individual freedom vs. a future colectivist/egalitarian distopia. " Alas Babylon". (a nuclear war survivors novel; very entertaining).   

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Arun

Daughters of Juarez by Teresa Rodriguez

SIT TIBI COPIA
SOT SAPIENCIA
FORMAQUE DETUR
INQUINAT OMNIA SOLA
SUPERBIA SICOMETETUR

Quote from: St.Justin on September 25, 2015, 07:57:25 PM
Never lose Hope... Take a deep breath and have a beer.

Mother Aubert Pray For Us!

vsay ego sudba V rukah Gospodnih

Clare

Quote from: Maximilian on December 29, 2013, 08:40:54 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on December 27, 2013, 10:23:19 AM

Yes, I have never read anything by Fr. Faber, but I am very definitely going to have to add one of his books to my reading list; any recommendations, Max? (Hopefully nothing to do with Scotsmens wearing kilts, Har!).

Drop whatever you're doing, stop wasting your time reading speculative theology, and pick up Fr. Faber's "Growth in Holiness." It is the ideal thing for someone like yourself. You can read it on-line for free, but it's worth the investment to buy a paper copy. I bought a used hardback ex-seminary some years back on Ebay or Amazon (or maybe Abe Books), and it's the best money I've ever spent....
I'll have to get that too.

I read All For Jesus in Lent. That was very good. Kindness was great too, but I should have got the Spiritual Conferences which includes it.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Bernadette

All For Jesus WAS good! I read it so long ago that it's probably time to read it again. I have Growth in Holiness, too, and it's probably time to revisit that as well. The Blessed Sacrament is also excellent. :)
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

How is "Rulers of Russia" by Fr ...  Fahey?
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Maximilian

Quote from: Bernadette on December 30, 2013, 07:04:16 AM
I have Growth in Holiness, too, and it's probably time to revisit that as well.

Reflecting more about "Growth in Holiness," I think one reason why it is so good and so useful for us modern people is that the central heart of the book is the section where he deals with "Understanding the Human Spirit," and then "Overcoming the Human Spirit." Previous spiritual writers, no matter how wonderful and holy and inspiring they were, did not have the experience to deal with this primary obstacle to progress in the spiritual life the way that Fr. Faber did because they did not experience this in the same way due to the progress of history.

It's true that the Human Spirit has been present ever since the fall of Adam and Eve, but during the 500 years since the Renaissance, it has grown unimaginably larger and more powerful than it was during the Middle Ages, for example. And so a man like Fr. Faber living in England in the 1850's is a witness to these new modern phenomena, and was able to address them in his spiritual direction, whereas the men coming for spiritual direction to St. Bernard or the women under the spiritual direction of St. Theresa of Avila were very different creatures in their psychological makeup.

Fr. Faber was living in the time and the place (London) that were on the cutting edge of these developments in his day. He was, for example, appalled by what he read in the "Life of Charlotte Bronte," metaphorically exclaiming, "O brave new world which has such people in it," and which inspired him to revise a few sections in the second edition of "Growth in Holiness" to account for this new modern spirit.

Michael Wilson

Max,
thanks for your additional comments on Fr. Faber's book. I just ordered it from Amazon. If you don't mind, would you keep posting more comments on Fr.'s book?

GeorgeT

I just started reading Catholic Home Schooling by Mary Kay Clark, just in case. I just finished the first volume of The Fatima Code (who's title has changed, yet again).
Check out my Lives of the saints comics!

http://tautkusstudio.com/pb/wp_8bec74cf/wp_8bec74cf.html

tradne4163

I will be starting a book that is actually two books in one: The Dogma of Hell by Father F.X. Schouppe, S.J., and How To Avoid Hell by Thomas A. Nelson. I'm already somewhat familiar with the first one, but never heard of the second one.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Kaesekopf

Dogma of Hell made me want to go to confession after turning every page.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 31, 2013, 12:22:46 AM
Dogma of Hell made me want to go to confession after turning every page.

This is why I don't read it. What was that someone said about how reading certain things being like pouring acid on an open wound?  :o :hide: So scary...
My Lord and my God.