What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piabee

The Cuckoo's Calling, by Robert Galbraith aka J. K. Rowling.

Archer

Quote from: piabee on August 18, 2013, 10:35:15 PM
The Cuckoo's Calling, by Robert Galbraith aka J. K. Rowling.

How is it?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

red solo cup

"Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse" James Rawles
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Larry

The Order of Melchisidech by Michael Davies.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

moneil

Across God's Frontiers: Catholic Sisters in the American West, 1850-1920 by Anne Butler http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/080783565X/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1470826852&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0899EKANH2QZT72VYB4W

Just finished listening to the Audible audio version www.audible.com today.

It is a fascinating history, and as I live in the northwest there were many familiar refernces:  The Sisters Of St Joseph Of Carondelet, who taught me (or tried to ...  ;D ) from 2nd. through 9th grade at St. Patrick's School in Pasco, WA. The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary:  I have a great aunt (my paternal grandmother's sister), and my mother has a cousin who were SNJM.  My mother,  a paternal aunt, and two cousins are alumni of the Holy Names Academy boarding school in Spokane, WA. (now merged with Gonzaga Prep, operated the the Oregon Provence of the Society of Jesus), and another aunt (mum's sister) was at The Immaculate in Seattle.  There are many references to Mother Joseph of the Sisters of Providence (Mother Joseph is one of the two personas WA selected that each state is allowed in Statuary Hall in the old House chamber of the U.S. Capital, our other being Marcus Whitman, a Presbyterian medical missionary) http://www.aoc.gov/capitol-buildings/national-statuary-hall; I was born at Providence Hospital in Seattle on June 28, 1951).  There are references to St. Francis Xavier Cabrini of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart, who personally purchased the land that the now extinct Cabrini Hospital in Seattle (where I had two surgeries) was located (her relics are in the Altar of St. James Cathedral, just 2-3 blocks away).  There is an entire chapter on Saint Katharine Drexel (1858-1955, canonized in 2002).

As I've already mentioned, it is a fascinating history of the spread of Catholicism in the western U.S. territories during their settelment time, the Church's care for Her European immigrant members, the Church's charitable and evangelical outreach (certainly entwined IMHO) to those not united to Her Bosom, the Church's care for God's children regardless of their persuasion at a given point in time.

One thing that struck me after this "reading" (a listen in audio book format) was that the decline in professed women (and men) Religious has had as significant an effect on the Church's mission as the decline in priestly vocations.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

per_passionem_eius

'The Whole Truth about Fatima'.  What a treasure. 

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the Catholic Faith.

http://fatherfeeney.wordpress.com/

Archer

I recently finished Our Lady Of Fatima by William Thomas Walsh. 

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

MilesChristi

finally finished Charachters of the INquisiion a couple days ago,
now Im on the third or fourth chapter of Work of human Hands
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

erin is nice

Serious book: The Book of Confidence by Father Thomas de Saint-Laurent

Fun book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire  :-[

Pheo

The Book of Lost Tales 2 by Tolkien.  Still working my way through Jacob's epic Tolkien reading list.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Bonaventure

"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Der Kaiser

Charlemagne-A biography
For class Feminist voices 1900-1960 ::) ( I have put off taking the Womyns and Gender studies class until the end of my college years.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Bonaventure

I suggest you get Two Lives of Charlemagne. They are both primary sources, and you will enjoy them.

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis