What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tradne4163

The Spiritual Life, which is the third book compiling Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre's preaching on a certain overall topic. I usually read at least a little each day. Obviously, it's a deep subject.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Lynne

Quote from: tradne4163 on February 15, 2015, 10:55:26 PM
The Spiritual Life, which is the third book compiling Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre's preaching on a certain overall topic. I usually read at least a little each day. Obviously, it's a deep subject.

Who is the author?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

tradne4163

Quote from: Lynne on February 16, 2015, 05:06:52 AM

Who is the author?
Strictly speaking, the Archbishop himself. It's a collection of his sermons and conferences, word for word, on the spiritual life. But it was compiled by Father Patrick Troadec, SSPX. The book is sold only through Saint Thomas Aquinas Seminary as far as I know.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Lynne

Quote from: tradne4163 on February 16, 2015, 10:37:11 AM

Who is the author?
Strictly speaking, the Archbishop himself. It's a collection of his sermons and conferences, word for word, on the spiritual life. But it was compiled by Father Patrick Troadec, SSPX. The book is sold only through Saint Thomas Aquinas Seminary as far as I know.

Ah... Thanks!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Quote from: tradne4163 on February 16, 2015, 10:37:11 AM

Who is the author?

Let us know how it is.  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

red solo cup

The Devil's Alliance: Hitler's Pact With Stalin, 1939-1941 by Roger Moorhouse
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Clare

Life of Christ, by Archbishop Sheen
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: red solo cup on February 18, 2015, 06:30:17 AM

How is it?
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Baldrick

Quote from: Baldrick on February 12, 2015, 09:26:18 AM
I spend about half my waking hours reading....

I'm reading sections of the Metaphysics and One Hundred Years of Modernism.  This is part of my variable reading - constantly changing month by month. 

Then I have my more or less permanent reading: Chaucer, Homer and Dante.  On the latter, I have near zero Italian and so I have been teaching myself the Tuscan dialect while making my way through La Divina Commedia.  Actually, i was thinking about starting a reading group around Dante this if anyone's interested. 

At night I'm now reading The Imitation of Christ - in Knox's translation.  It's a bitter hoe.  By the time I'm done with a few pages I feel pretty darn worthless, lol.

I find the Imitation almost unbearably lacerating, lol.  So I've been interspersing reading it with Fr. Boudreau's Happiness of Heaven, which is truly wonderful, and balances out Kempis somehow  :)

red solo cup

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on February 21, 2015, 07:49:29 AM

How is it?
Quite good. It was interesting to read how the two greatest homicidal maniacs  of the 20th century used each other for their own advantage. How they divided eastern Europe between them. Germany needed Russia's raw materials particularly when anticipating a British blockade while Russia needed industrial equipment and military hardware from Germany.
Most of the negotiations were held in secret as the propaganda machines of both countries had heaped vitriol on each other for years.
When it came time for the Russian negotiators to visit Berlin it was discovered there were no Soviet flags to be found in the capitol so a bunch of hausfraus were put to work sewing them for the main hall of the train station.
In addition, the Russians had plenty of advance warning of Germany's 41 invasion but Stalin refused to believe it. He thought it was a bargaining ploy on Hitler's part. Stalin even had an informer who brought this information shot for spreading disinformation.

JubilateDeo

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: red solo cup on February 21, 2015, 12:07:29 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on February 21, 2015, 07:49:29 AM

How is it?
Quite good. It was interesting to read how the two greatest homicidal maniacs  of the 20th century used each other for their own advantage. How they divided eastern Europe between them. Germany needed Russia's raw materials particularly when anticipating a British blockade while Russia needed industrial equipment and military hardware from Germany.
Most of the negotiations were held in secret as the propaganda machines of both countries had heaped vitriol on each other for years.
When it came time for the Russian negotiators to visit Berlin it was discovered there were no Soviet flags to be found in the capitol so a bunch of hausfraus were put to work sewing them for the main hall of the train station.
In addition, the Russians had plenty of advance warning of Germany's 41 invasion but Stalin refused to believe it. He thought it was a bargaining ploy on Hitler's part. Stalin even had an informer who brought this information shot for spreading disinformation.

Sounds interesting...thanks
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

red solo cup

A Movable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. His account of Paris in 20's. It has all the usual suspects. Pound. Fitzgerald. Elliot. Joyce. Gertrude Stein. Even though it was early in his career, by his own account he was already putting away enormous quantities of alcohol.

Bernadette

I've finally finished The Pickwick Papers, and am in the middle of Leviticus (both from audible, and both narrations excellent).
My Lord and my God.