What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

I was reading parts of second volume of The Mystical City of God during Advent, and today I read part of the chapter on the massacre of the Innocents (because today is the commemoration of the Holy Innocents).

I'm also currently reading The One-Minute Aquinas.

Jacob

Quote from: red solo cup on December 28, 2014, 12:26:11 PM
The book about the lost expedition. Was that the Lost City of Z?

Yes, that's the one.  It had been on my wishlist for five years and I had completely forgotten it was there.  So when my brother got a book about the Franklin Expedition, we thought at first it was a book he was looking to pick up as well. ;)

Quote from: Chestertonian on December 28, 2014, 01:09:53 PM
i love calvin and hobbes my son has a stuffed hobbes we got him when he q was a baby

I read the strip intermittently when Watterson was still doing it (when visiting my grandparents who subscribed to a daily paper).  I always enjoyed it when I was a kid and I wrote some kind of essay about my interpretation of the final strip for an English class in high school.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

zork

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

red solo cup

Sacred Sea: a Journey to Lake Baikal by Peter Thomson.
This was really two stories in one. One about Lake Baikal which is the deepest body of water in the world with exceptionally clear water
due to tiny native shrimp the filter out all the impurities and the only population in the world of freshwater seals. The other story is the
journey itself from San Francisco by freighter  to S. Korea. Then by ferry to Japan and then to Vladivostok. From there he took the famous
Trans-Siberian Express to the lake. The six day trip consisted mostly of Russians getting roaring drunk and inviting the author to join them
and getting belligerent when he declined.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Jacob

Blue at the Mizzen, O'Brian's last completed and published novel.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Chestertonian

Quote from: red solo cup on January 04, 2015, 08:36:00 AM
Sacred Sea: a Journey to Lake Baikal by Peter Thomson.
This was really two stories in one. One about Lake Baikal which is the deepest body of water in the world with exceptionally clear water
due to tiny native shrimp the filter out all the impurities and the only population in the world of freshwater seals. The other story is the
journey itself from San Francisco by freighter  to S. Korea. Then by ferry to Japan and then to Vladivostok. From there he took the famous
Trans-Siberian Express to the lake. The six day trip consisted mostly of Russians getting roaring drunk and inviting the author to join them
and getting belligerent when he declined.
sounds intriguing
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

MundaCorMeum

Pride and Prejudice.  Started it yesterday afternoon.   

Also, per the request of my husband, 'Masculinity: The Gentle Man', by Fr. Fox.  The tone is a bit.....haughty, but it has some good stuff in there, regarding man's authentic role in marriage.  It covers the wife's role, too, but more briefly. 

Kaesekopf

Is that a book, mcm?  Didn't find it google.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 05, 2015, 08:58:05 AM
Is that a book, mcm?  Didn't find it google.

Really?!  That's crazy....'Pride and Prejudice' has got to be one of the most widely known books of all time.  I find it hard to believe Google didn't turn anything up. 

Kaesekopf

No no no, lol, the fr fox one!

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 05, 2015, 10:18:22 AM
No no no, lol, the fr fox one!

Yeah, I figured....I just couldn't pass it up  ;).  Seriously, though....yes, it's a paperback book.  It was given to my husband awhile back, so I don't even know where it was purchased.  I don't know much about that priest, either.  His full name is Father Robert J. Fox, and the book was published by the Fatima Family Apostolate.  Maybe that'll help. 

Kaesekopf

Archer

^ I need to get over to your apartment.  I can just imagine stacks of books floor to ceiling. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Archer on January 05, 2015, 12:20:16 PM
^ I need to get over to your apartment.  I can just imagine stacks of books floor to ceiling.

I just set up my new bookshelves and TV and organized my books (although, the other half of my books are at home in Milwaukee).  I'm supposed to get a couch soon, so I'll be far more set up to entertain than right now.  :D

LausTibiChriste

I just read Freakonomics and Think Like A Freak and now I'm reading Moonwalking with Einstein
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie