What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I'm reading the New Testament, and The Mystical City of God by Venerable Mary of Agreda for Lent.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Larry on March 07, 2014, 09:37:20 AM
I'm reading the New Testament, and The Mystical City of God by Venerable Mary of Agreda for Lent.
I've read the M.C.G. Several times, and it is very good.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Larry

Quote from: Michael Wilson on March 07, 2014, 10:05:43 AM
Quote from: Larry on March 07, 2014, 09:37:20 AM
I've read the M.C.G. Several times, and it is very good.

I got it for Kindle, and so far it's excellent.

Maximilian

Quote from: Michael Wilson on March 07, 2014, 09:02:21 AM
I just finished reading "A Family of Brigands" by: Marie de Sainte-Hermine.  This is the story of two sisters who lived in the Vendee during the period of the uprising against the Revolutionary government in Paris.  The story is chronicled by Marie, the youngest, as the family goes from a tranquil existence of a noble family in the province; to the uprising of the Vendee, and the struggles that lead to the loss of much of that happy life.  Through it all, the faith of these noble people, both peasants and aristocrats shines through.  I highly recommend it to anybody who would like to read a rousing and gripping  Catholic adventure story; I and several of my family who have read it, have really been edified by the tale of these Crusaders and Martyrs for the faith.  Five Stars. 
Ps. This is a true story.

Thanks for this recommendation. It sounds great, but I can't find it available anywhere. Amazon has never heard of it. Did you read it in French?

Maximilian

Quote from: Michael Wilson on March 07, 2014, 09:23:55 AM
On the recommendation of my friend Maximilian, who advised me to buy anything written by Fr. Faber. I decided to follow his advice;  Fr. Frederick Faber, is the well known English spiritual writer of the 19th C. and the book I'm reading is  "Growth in Holiness".  I have only advanced to the third chapter, but I had to write that what Fr. Faber has been saying in the first two chapters is worth the price of the whole book.  His chapters on "Kindness" and "Kind Thoughts", are a must read for any Catholic who is serious about making progress in the spiritual life.  There is enough material in those two chapters to keep me busy in examining and  reforming my own exterior and interior behavior for the rest of my life.  Five stars.
Ps. This will not be the last Fr. Faber book I will purchase.
Pp. Ss. Thanks Max!

You're welcome. However, "Kindness" and "Kind Thoughts" are not in "Growth in Holiness," but in "Spiritual Conferences." Both are great books to read for Lent.

Lynne

Quote from: Maximilian on March 07, 2014, 10:32:22 AM
I just finished reading "A Family of Brigands" by: Marie de Sainte-Hermine.  This is the story of two sisters who lived in the Vendee during the period of the uprising against the Revolutionary government in Paris.  The story is chronicled by Marie, the youngest, as the family goes from a tranquil existence of a noble family in the province; to the uprising of the Vendee, and the struggles that lead to the loss of much of that happy life.  Through it all, the faith of these noble people, both peasants and aristocrats shines through.  I highly recommend it to anybody who would like to read a rousing and gripping  Catholic adventure story; I and several of my family who have read it, have really been edified by the tale of these Crusaders and Martyrs for the faith.  Five Stars. 

Thanks for this recommendation. It sounds great, but I can't find it available anywhere. Amazon has never heard of it. Did you read it in French?

It only seems to be for sale at St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary...

http://stas.org/en/media/books/family-brigands-1793-2709
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Maximilian

Quote from: Lynne on March 07, 2014, 11:09:40 AM
Quote from: Maximilian on March 07, 2014, 10:32:22 AM

It only seems to be for sale at St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary...

http://stas.org/en/media/books/family-brigands-1793-2709

Thank you. I bookmarked that link.

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Maximilian on March 07, 2014, 10:33:49 AM
On the recommendation of my friend Maximilian, who advised me to buy anything written by Fr. Faber. I decided to follow his advice;  Fr. Frederick Faber, is the well known English spiritual writer of the 19th C. and the book I'm reading is  "Growth in Holiness".  I have only advanced to the third chapter, but I had to write that what Fr. Faber has been saying in the first two chapters is worth the price of the whole book.  His chapters on "Kindness" and "Kind Thoughts", are a must read for any Catholic who is serious about making progress in the spiritual life.  There is enough material in those two chapters to keep me busy in examining and  reforming my own exterior and interior behavior for the rest of my life.  Five stars.
Ps. This will not be the last Fr. Faber book I will purchase.
Pp. Ss. Thanks Max!
Ooops! Sorry about that; I left the book at work and I didn't have it in front of me when I wrote the post.

You're welcome. However, "Kindness" and "Kind Thoughts" are not in "Growth in Holiness," but in "Spiritual Conferences." Both are great books to read for Lent.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Archer

"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Larry

Horn of the Unicorn is a great book.

Archer

Quote from: Larry on March 07, 2014, 04:32:21 PM

Agreed.  David Allen White's writing style is fantastic and the book doubles as a history book.  I'm truly enjoying reading it. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Clare

On the recommendation of my friend Maximilian, who advised me to buy anything written by Fr. Faber. I decided to follow his advice;  Fr. Frederick Faber, is the well known English spiritual writer of the 19th C. and the book I'm reading is  "Growth in Holiness"...
I got that for my birthday, and I've just started it (having finished Surprised by Joy by CSL).

I'm also reading a little CTS pamphlet, Words of Encouragement, by Fr Daniel Considine, SJ.
Motes 'n' Beams blog

Feel free to play the Trivia Quiz!

O Mary, Immaculate Mother of Jesus, offer, we beseech thee, to the Eternal Father, the Precious Blood of thy Divine Son to prevent at least one mortal sin from being committed somewhere in the world this day.

"It is a much less work to have won the battle of Waterloo, or to have invented the steam-engine, than to have freed one soul from Purgatory." - Fr Faber

"When faced by our limitations, we must have recourse to the practice of offering to God the good works of others." - St Therese of Lisieux

Michael Wilson

Quote from: Archer on March 08, 2014, 08:53:43 AM
Quote from: Larry on March 07, 2014, 04:32:21 PM

Agreed.  David Allen White's writing style is fantastic and the book doubles as a history book.  I'm truly enjoying reading it.
Fantastic book; Bishop De Castro Mayer demonstrated to all the other bishops of the world, that it was possible to keep the TLM and faith alive in their diocese if they had had the guts.

maryslittlegarden

For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace