mary gardens

Started by Lirael, May 15, 2013, 10:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lirael

I read this article ( http://www.tfp.org/tfp-home/about-our-lady/the-marvelous-world-of-our-lady-s-flowers.html) and am wondering if any of you have mary gardens or have sketches/plans for how one should be designed, specifically what kinds of flowers to plant!

btw I'm mobile and formatting Is a pain. also please forgive typos.
Why art thou sad, o my soul? And why dost thou disquiet me?

maryslittlegarden

I'll be looking forward to the answers. I'd like to do a small one on my balcony.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Der Kaiser

We have a Statue of Mary, with roses around it. Pretty simple. Roses are the main Marian plant
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Anastasia

I had a beautiful Mary garden in our last house, but we're starting from scratch in the new place. Only one rose as yet. Eventually, I plan to have a variety of flowers named for Mary or religious themes. You can find names for almost any flower, really. ButI spent last week digging the pond, so that and the statue are in now. http://imageshack.us/a/img546/3903/imagesea.jpg
People talk vaguely about the innocence of a little child, but they take mighty good care not to let it out of their sight for twenty minutes.-Saki.
"Meanwhile, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing glove. "
— P.G. Wodehouse

Lynne

Every year I want to start one... I wonder if it's too late to start for this year?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: catquilt on May 23, 2013, 12:18:40 PM
Every year I want to start one... I wonder if it's too late to start for this year?

Depends on where you live and what kind of plants you want to include.  You may have to buy plants from a nursery versus starting from seed, but I would think you could still start a nice garden. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Anastasia

Quote from: catquilt on May 23, 2013, 12:18:40 PM
It can be very good, if you're looking to save cash and who isn't? People will have perennials like irises which will need to be divided and you can get them for free, and nurseries will start discounting the plants that aren't selling.
People talk vaguely about the innocence of a little child, but they take mighty good care not to let it out of their sight for twenty minutes.-Saki.
"Meanwhile, Fate was quietly slipping lead into the boxing glove. "
— P.G. Wodehouse

Jacafamala

I think it's never too late to start. Start with the statue and clearing an area, if nothing else. Then you could do research on what works in your designated spot and go from there.
"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux

Lynne

Good points! It's only May, for goodness sake... I live north of Boston so our summer has kind of begun (although this weekend will be cool and rainy). And I have Irises in the front yard which do need dividing.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"