Question for Former Orthodox or Eastern-Rite Catholics

Started by Ancilla Domini, February 24, 2014, 01:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petrie

Quote from: kayla_veronica on February 27, 2014, 07:58:55 AM
Communicatio in sacris is a grave sin.  Please cancel your plans!

It's a little shocking no one has pointed out the obvious.  Don't go!  You're putting your soul in peril.

Thank you.  I was beginning to wonder what was going on here.  This is a non-Catholic service.  As Catholics, we are forbidden to go (well at least Catholic teaching pre-VII taught this).
Also known as 2Vermont in case you were wondering :-)

Roland Deschain2

It's a little shocking no one has pointed out the obvious.  Don't go!  You're putting your soul in peril.

I agree.

Ancilla-

I don't know where you are at personally in your spiritual life or whether you have left the Church, are considering Orthodoxy or something else. Please keep in mind that Kayla is correct. You cannot take active participation in non Catholic or schismatic worship.
"To our personal enemies, according to Christ's commandment, we must forgive everything; but with the enemies of God we cannot have peace!"- Archbishop Averky

"Life is a play in which for a short time one man represents a judge, another a general, and so on; after the play no further account is made of the dignity which each one had."- St John Chrysostom

Larry

Ancilla says she was invited. Maybe a wedding or something like that? I didn't get the impression from her post that she's leaving the Church, she just wanted to know the proper etiquette when attending a Liturgy.
"At the evening of life, we shall be judged on our love."-St. John of the Cross

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Larry on February 27, 2014, 10:24:01 AM
Ancilla says she was invited. Maybe a wedding or something like that? I didn't get the impression from her post that she's leaving the Church, she just wanted to know the proper etiquette when attending a Liturgy.

Thank you, Larry.  :)

Larry

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on February 27, 2014, 12:23:50 PM

Thank you, Larry.  :)

You're welcome.  :toth:

Landless Laborer

And don't let those Orthoducks get their hooks in you.  Stay away from the pastries...

Roland Deschain2

Quote from: Landless Laborer on February 27, 2014, 02:32:56 PM
And don't let those Orthoducks get their hooks in you.  Stay away from the pastries...

It's a Greek parish so if they bring out the Baklava, you're toast......you'll never leave.
"To our personal enemies, according to Christ's commandment, we must forgive everything; but with the enemies of God we cannot have peace!"- Archbishop Averky

"Life is a play in which for a short time one man represents a judge, another a general, and so on; after the play no further account is made of the dignity which each one had."- St John Chrysostom

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Landless Laborer on February 27, 2014, 02:32:56 PM

What did ya'll think I was going for?  :lol:

Quote from: Roland Deschain2 on February 27, 2014, 02:35:49 PM
It's a Greek parish so if they bring out the Baklava, you're toast......you'll never leave.

So I should bring my big purse...  :tongue:

Ancilla Domini

See, this is the kind of practical advice I was looking for.  :)

Patriarch

Seconded. :(
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

kayla_veronica

Considering that she mentioned arriving early for Orthros which is only prayed on Sunday mornings and First Class feasts and that she doesn't know when she'll be going (Wedding invitation without a date?) it seemed pretty clear that this was not the case.

In the off-chance that it's a Schismatic custom to invite people to weddings that don't have a date and are preceded by the Divine Office, proper "etiquette" is passive attendance, because it's the only way that a person can attend without mortally sinning against the First Commandment, and even then a person can only justify attendance if there is a serious civic duty and no cause of scandal or perversion.  Passive attendance is being present without engaging in a positive act of worship. 
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Larry

Jesus Christ will be present Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity on the altar of the Church that she'll be attending. It's not like she's going to a Pentecostalist service headed by Pope Francis(oops, I meant to say Benny Hinn). In the past, Catholics have worshiped at Orthodox Churches, and Orthodox clergy and priests collaborated together in parish missions in parts of Eastern Europe where the schism between the two Churches wasn't so clearly defined(and when I say the past, I don't mean 1973. I'm talking about the Counter Reformation period, when Catholics were not too keen about ecumenical dialogue).
I think it's permissible to show proper respect at an Orthodox service, but we shouldn't receive Communion from them unless it's an emergency. But I don't see a problem with going to their Divine Liturgy. Just my own opinion, which I'm sure is about to be eviscerated.

Roland Deschain2

Quote from: Larry on February 27, 2014, 06:43:24 PM
Jesus Christ will be present Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity on the altar of the Church that she'll be attending. It's not like she's going to a Pentecostalist service headed by Pope Francis(oops, I meant to say Benny Hinn). In the past, Catholics have worshiped at Orthodox Churches, and Orthodox clergy and priests collaborated together in parish missions in parts of Eastern Europe where the schism between the two Churches wasn't so clearly defined(and when I say the past, I don't mean 1973. I'm talking about the Counter Reformation period, when Catholics were not too keen about ecumenical dialogue).
I think it's permissible to show proper respect at an Orthodox service, but we shouldn't receive Communion from them unless it's an emergency. But I don't see a problem with going to their Divine Liturgy. Just my own opinion, which I'm sure is about to be eviscerated.

Attending is one thing, taking active participation is forbidden.

One should not even attend unless for some very good reason.

Ancilla Domini

Interesting that no one pretending to be so concerned bothered to ask me why I'm going or what I'll be doing there. No, it's much better to assume the worst and affect righteous indignation. I would have happily answered any questions, but I'm not going to be put on the defensive by people making assumptions. There are circumstances under which it is perfectly licit to attend an Orthodox liturgy. But I feel no obligation to justify myself to anyone who cannot be bothered to ask a civil question.

Bonaventure

I didn't see a mention of active participation, or an intention to receive communion. As such, I think any fears of communicatio in sacris cum acatholicis misguided, and any warnings unwarranted.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."