Question for Former Orthodox or Eastern-Rite Catholics

Started by Ancilla Domini, February 24, 2014, 01:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancilla Domini

Getting back to the original topic, I did attend a Divine Liturgy this past week, as a guest. But given the uproar that this has caused here, I won't continue to discuss it on the forum. Anyone interested in continuing the conversation is welcome to PM me.  :)

Kaesekopf

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Christopher McAvoy

Quote from: Ancilla Domini on April 20, 2014, 01:55:13 PM
Quote from: Christopher McAvoy on April 06, 2014, 11:35:10 PM
QuoteSec. 1 It is not licit for the faithful by any manner to assist actively or to have a part in the sacred [rites] of non-Catholics.
Sec. 2 Passive or merely material presence for the sake of honor or civil service, for grave reason approved by the Bishop in case of doubt, at the funerals, weddings, and other solemnities of non-Catholics, provided danger of perversion and scandal is absent.

For a the spouses of a marriage in which one remains in Communion with Constantinople and another with Rome, not violating these canons is nearly impossible !!!  I've met and known people in this circumstance.  Over in Syria and Lebanon, where my mother spent part of her childhood, these canons have been violated for centuries... I find the level of ignorance of these canons quite odd. 

The Eastern Catholic churches have their own canon law. There may be different rules in effect there.

Yes, I researched this, there are no canons that are THAT different, regarding intermarriage.

Unfortunately, I do not believe most Roman Rite Catholics have any serious interest or concern with for instance the history of the relations and or intermarriage between the Melkites "Greek" Catholics and Antiochian "Greek" Orthodox. As this forum is dominated by those of the Roman Rite, this type of obscure controversy over faith and canons simply is not on their radar.

Either intermarriage between all of them is always forbidden or it is not forbidden. Traditionally I believe it is always forbidden between all sui juris churches and schismatic churches.

I believe mixed marriages are a problem. All royalty in Europe has always converted to the other faith upon marriage arranged between those formerly E. Orthodox or R. Catholic/E. Catholic.

INPEFESS

:pray2:

Thank you, Kayla_Veronica, for your display of Catholic wisdom, prudence, and charity in this thread. The cavalier attitude toward the possibility of communicatio in sacris is worrisome. It is true charity that warns of spiritual danger, even when such a warning is unwelcomed.

Benefit of doubt doesn't exclude charitable warnings out of love for another when the purpose isn't made clear.
I  n
N omine
P atris,
E t
F ilii,
E t
S piritus
S ancti

>))))))º> "Wherefore, brethren, labour the more, that by good works you may make sure your calling and election. For doing these things, you shall not sin at any time" (II Peter 1:10). <º((((((<

Christopher McAvoy

We could also bring up whether partaking of the antidoron would be blasphemous, occasionally Orthodox  (dare I say modernist influenced Orthodox) attempt to offer this to those who are not Orthodox. My understanding is that this is a modernist influence in their church, but what do I know. Who here even knows what antidoron is....

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Christopher McAvoy on April 23, 2014, 11:08:18 PM
We could also bring up whether partaking of the antidoron would be blasphemous, occasionally Orthodox  (dare I say modernist influenced Orthodox) attempt to offer this to those who are not Orthodox. My understanding is that this is a modernist influence in their church, but what do I know. Who here even knows what antidoron is....

I do...  :D

Patriarch

Do not assume that all Traditional Roman Catholics are ignorant of Byzantine Catholics' ways. I am well aware of what 'Antidoron' is. :)   I formerly attended a Ruthenian Catholic parish some years before coming upon my present Traditional parish. Still love the Divine Liturgy: so holy and mystical like that of the Traditional Latin mass!
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

Roland Deschain2

Being formally Orthodox, I do.

It means "Instead of the gifts."

You are also correct that this traditionally isn't done. In a ROCOR or other old calendar church you would not see antidoron being given to non-Orthodox.
"To our personal enemies, according to Christ's commandment, we must forgive everything; but with the enemies of God we cannot have peace!"- Archbishop Averky

"Life is a play in which for a short time one man represents a judge, another a general, and so on; after the play no further account is made of the dignity which each one had."- St John Chrysostom

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Roland Deschain2 on April 25, 2014, 03:17:23 PM

You are also correct that this traditionally isn't done. In a ROCOR or other old calendar church you would not see antidoron being given to non-Orthodox.

......?

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Patriarch

He was replying that he knew what Antidoron was; that's all.
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

Ancilla Domini

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 25, 2014, 04:21:18 PM
Quote from: Roland Deschain2 on April 25, 2014, 03:17:23 PM

......?

I believe Roland meant that he was formerly Orthodox.

Kaesekopf

Roland Deschain2

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 25, 2014, 04:32:53 PM
Quote from: Ancilla Domini on April 25, 2014, 04:31:52 PM
I believe Roland meant that he was formerly Orthodox.

He should get rid of that ipad.  :lol:

LOL....wow. I have to admit to that being my own fat fingers on a regular keyboard.

I have not had a case of Re-Dox....don't worry.
"To our personal enemies, according to Christ's commandment, we must forgive everything; but with the enemies of God we cannot have peace!"- Archbishop Averky

"Life is a play in which for a short time one man represents a judge, another a general, and so on; after the play no further account is made of the dignity which each one had."- St John Chrysostom

Lynne

I knew what he meant. I didn't even see the missing spelling.  :laugh:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Kaesekopf

Oh, I knew what he meant.  I just wanted to rib on him.