Is the vigil of the Assumption traditionally a day of fast and abstinence?

Started by Geremia, August 14, 2018, 07:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geremia

Is the vigil of the Assumption (today) traditionally a day of fast and abstinence?

It's not mentioned here: http://sspx.org/en/rules-fast-and-abstinence

Maximilian

Our priest mentioned in his sermon on Sunday that the Vigil of the Assumption would be a day of fast and partial abstinence. I was surprised, because I don't recall hearing that in the past.

Michael Wilson

I read in an old Catechism, that the Vigil of the Assumption was a day of fast and abstinence in the U.S. Until the Immaculate Conception was named the patroness of our country; then the day of fast and abstinence was transferred to the vigil of that feast day.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Heinrich

The FSSP Calendar calls for partial abstinence and fasting. Which is good since I just chunked down a quarter pound of salami for breakfast. Vegan smoothies are on the menu today. Seriously. I got great recipes if anyone is interested.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jayne

Quote from: Maximilian on August 14, 2018, 08:15:01 AM
Our priest mentioned in his sermon on Sunday that the Vigil of the Assumption would be a day of fast and partial abstinence. I was surprised, because I don't recall hearing that in the past.

This is what our priest said too.  I wasn't surprised, though, because I didn't expect to remember what I'd heard about it before. 
;D
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Geremia

Traditionally, from ancient times, there was a fast:
Munificentissimus Deus §19:
Quote from: Pope Pius XIIthat a holy fast had been ordered from ancient times for the day prior to the feast [of the Assumption] is made very evident by what our predecessor St. Nicholas I testifies in treating of the principal fasts which "the Holy Roman Church has observed for a long time, and still observes."

The Harlequin King

Yes, and our Eastern brethren have been on the Dormition Fast for the whole past two weeks already!

aquinas138

Quote from: The Harlequin King on August 14, 2018, 02:03:05 PM
Yes, and our Eastern brethren have been on the Dormition Fast for the whole past two weeks already!

And it came so soon after what was a fairly long Apostle's Fast this year, too!
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.