On the Eve of the Iowa Caucus

Started by OCLittleFlower, February 01, 2016, 01:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

the results of the iowa caucus dont make much sense to me.  who would want ccruz and hilary??

can kind ofunderstand the appeal of trump, sanders, carson, etc

cannot understand why people like clinton, cruz, jeb bush.  they just seem like more of the same blah blah blah corrupt washington political machine

as a former baltimore resident  i really do hope martin o'malley disappears quietly.

trump has his critics... many on the catholic side saying that he is not sociallh conservative enough andnot pro life enough.  some say that he goes against the USCCBand their teachings on immigration, as if they were infallible.  they claim he is only pandering to pro lifers.  that may very well be possible.  but that's the nature of democracy itself--it encourages that sort of pandering and it is happening on all sides.  i do know plenty of regular ordinary people who were pro choice 10 years ago and are ardent pro lifers now so people do change. but there is no way to know for sure

i think if i had to vote for trump, i would feel... maybe a bit dirty?  like i need to wash my hands? but everyone else on the republican sphere seems a bit weaksauce compared to him.  he is also the most unlike any leader we have had.  and since most of our leaders have been morally bankrupt baby killing war mongering doofuses it's hard to magine it getting any worse

overall i cant wiat for the election to be over.  my wife works in news, primarily special coverage which includes the election  so the election is her "baby" but of course the real baby is due august 15th so that means she wont be back until ~Nov 15th electionday is nov 8th .  her coworkers have been bitter towards her, telling her that this is worst possible time to have a baby.  She has gotten comments like, "Couldn't you have gotten pregnant some other time?"  and she was asked by management if she could have them induce labor 2 weeks early to ensure that she'd beback for election day.  Gotta love how "empowered" today's woman is in the workplace, now that reproduction is a "choice" actions such as getting pregnant and giving birth are now something you can do at will
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Heinrich

Quote from: Chestertonian on February 02, 2016, 12:31:45 PM
the results of the iowa caucus dont make much sense to me.  who would want ccruz and hilary??

Precisely. It's a sham. But people, like many here, discuss it as if it were legit.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Michael Wilson

I voted late; Ben Carson.  I really liked his book and I think he is a good man. Trump is not a good guy, but he has a quick wit; Cruz I don't know anything about, but it looks like he is the most hated candidate by the Libs, so he has to be good.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

dellery

Quote from: Michael Wilson on February 02, 2016, 02:32:51 PM
I voted late; Ben Carson.  I really liked his book and I think he is a good man. Trump is not a good guy, but he has a quick wit; Cruz I don't know anything about, but it looks like he is the most hated candidate by the Libs, so he has to be good.

Cruz is frightening. One of the only good things Obama has done as CiC is to turn the US Armed Forces into a true counter-insurgency fighting military. Cruz wants to turn the military back into a dumb grunt-force with cowardly civilian killing ROEs.
Blessed are those who plant trees under whose shade they will never sit.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions
St. Phillip Neri, pray for us.

Heinrich

Quote from: dellery on February 02, 2016, 03:06:58 PM
Quote from: Michael Wilson on February 02, 2016, 02:32:51 PM

Cruz is frightening. One of the only good things Obama has done as CiC is to turn the US Armed Forces into a true counter-insurgency fighting military. Cruz wants to turn the military back into a dumb grunt-force with cowardly civilian killing ROEs.

If this were my forum, you'd be banned for that, Dellery.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Jacob

I used to like Cruz.  But then he supported the TPA/TIFF stuff that allowed the president ram through treaties.  And then I read more about how he wanted to increase H1B visas by three hundred percent.

Yeah, forget Cruz.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

dellery

Top U.S. General Slams Idea of Carpet Bombing Deash

QuoteArmy Lt. Gen. Sean MacFarland, who directs the coalition fighting ISIS in Iraq and Syria, provided the most detailed military criticism to date about the concept and detailed why it's militarily unacceptable.

"Indiscriminate bombing where we don't care if we are killing innocents or combatants is just inconsistent with our values," he said in response to a question from CNN on the possibility of using carpet bombing.

Though MacFarland didn't mention any political candidates by name in his answer, Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas while on the campaign trail has called for employing the practice against ISIS.

"We are the United States of America, and you know we have a set of guiding principles and those affect the way we, as professional soldiers, airmen, sailors marines conduct ourselves on the battlefield," MacFarland said at a news conference from his Baghdad headquarters held before the Iowa caucuses. "We are bound by the laws of armed conflict. And you know at the end of the day, it doesn't only matter if you win, it matters how you win."

MacFarland noted that the Russians have been accused of indiscriminate bombing, killing large numbers of civilians in northwest Syria.

"Right now we have the moral high ground and I think that's where we need to stay," he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/02/politics/sean-macfarland-isis-carpet-bombing-cruz-trump/index.html

It's just unthinkable that after so many years the US Armed Forces has finally begun to grasp how to fight Russian-backed insurgencies, and a couple of bloviating airheads come a long and threaten to undo it all.

This also highlights what absolute hypocrites Evangelicals are. One minute it's all about a "culture of life" then the next it's about carpet bombing cities and murdering relatives of terrorists.
They of course wont do any of these activities themselves, they'll just send their and other people's young men to do it.

Between Sanders, Trump, and Cruz, unless Mr. Mediocrity (Rubio) pulls off the nomination and subsequent election there's going to have to be a military coup in order to keep this ship afloat.

The closer you get to life the better death will be; the closer you get to death the better life will be.

Nous Defions

LausTibiChriste

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

dellery

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on February 02, 2016, 06:58:54 PM
Which insurgents are Russian?

Dunno. I said Russian backed, not Russian.
European Refugees and the East Ukrainian Separatists are the most notable Russian-backed insurgents, however, the refugees can only be considered potential insurgents at this point. There are also the separatists in Nagorno-Karabakh and Transnistria. The Taliban recently announced they were going to start cooperating with the Russians, but that has long been suspected.
The rest are supported by proxy through Iran and include groups like the Iraqi Badr Brigades and Kurdish Peshmerga (it's very stupid we work with these Maoists BTW).
Russia is 1/4 Muslim, so it has exceptional reach into the Muslim world --something many news outlets seem to forget.

Nous Defions

Michael Wilson

O.K. Kibosh on Cruz; Carson doesn't have a chance and Trump is a chump. Guess we really don't have anybody to vote for.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Kaesekopf

Paul Paul Paul!  ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

OCLittleFlower

I vote Carson in the poll here, but I wouldn't mind Cruz too much.  Establishment isn't all bad, especially since he's less likely to make a donkey of himself and get us into another war than, say, Trump.  Trump's closeness with the Clintons in the near-past makes me uncomfortable, and I can't rule out the idea that he's a Clinton plant.  I'd vote for him over either of the Dems, of course, but I'd also vote for a dog or a ham sandwich over them.   ;) 

Paul is a bit more radically small government than I'd like, ironically.  I don't want too many changes too quickly -- I don't think it would be implemented well. He also doesn't "present" well -- though he isn't as much as a rambling mess as his father, the association remains.  I've watched Rand in several debates and I never took away much from listening to him -- he's just sort of THERE.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

LausTibiChriste

Kaese, cheer for Hilary next.....if your cheering got Paul out, maybe it'll get her out too!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Chestertonian

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on February 03, 2016, 03:23:48 AM
I vote Carson in the poll here, but I wouldn't mind Cruz too much.  Establishment isn't all bad, especially since he's less likely to make a donkey of himself and get us into another war than, say, Trump.  Trump's closeness with the Clintons in the near-past makes me uncomfortable, and I can't rule out the idea that he's a Clinton plant.  I'd vote for him over either of the Dems, of course, but I'd also vote for a dog or a ham sandwich over them.   ;) 

Paul is a bit more radically small government than I'd like, ironically.  I don't want too many changes too quickly -- I don't think it would be implemented well. He also doesn't "present" well -- though he isn't as much as a rambling mess as his father, the association remains.  I've watched Rand in several debates and I never took away much from listening to him -- he's just sort of THERE.
[/

cruz d the more stable choice

unfortunately the system as it is can't go on for ever and it's bound to implode at some point the question is when

also wasn't cruz born n another country
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"