What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

The Shipping News, by Annie Proulx. Excellent.
My Lord and my God.

drummerboy

The Gerson Therapy: The Proven Nutritional Program for Cancer and Other Illnesses
by Charlotte Gerson and Morton Walker
- I'll get with the times when the times are worth getting with

"I like grumpy old cusses.  Hope to live long enough to be one" - John Wayne

red solo cup

The Day of Battle. The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 by Rick Atkinson. The second in his outstanding WWII trilogy.
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Kaesekopf

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on December 09, 2023, 12:36:13 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 06, 2023, 10:04:03 AMI ran right through "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" by John LeCarre.  It was pretty good.  I had seen his novels recommended online.  Chewed through it in under two days.  Pretty engaging story.  Kept me going from page to page, chapter to chapter.   

Also, gosh I am so happy about the Overdrive app or whatever you wanna call it.  In my state, at least, it coordinates the lending of ebooks via Amazon and my local public library.  Has saved me so much money and time (from buying fiction books or running to the library).  :lol:

If you like overdrive.... check to see if they have Libby.  I like that one a lot for audio books. My library also has a roku app called Kanopy for streaming movies.

I think for my state, Libby is part of Overdrive (or vice versa). 

I haven't looked into Kanopy but I'll check!  My friends were recently singing the praises of just buying secondhand DVD copies (I think Greg was as well).  :)
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

The Story of the Treasure Seekers, by E. Nesbit.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

In The Name of God, The Khomeini Decade by Robin Wright

Bernadette

Might try Kirstin Lavransdatter again. Fourth time lucky?
My Lord and my God.

Maximilian

Quote from: Bernadette on January 22, 2024, 09:41:36 AMMight try Kirstin Lavransdatter again. Fourth time lucky?

If you're in the mood for "Kristin Lavransdatter," but you've already read it 3 times, you might want to try "Olav Audunssøn," Sigrid Undsett's subsequent novel. There's a new translation available, and they just finished the 4th volume. [Previously titled "The Master of Hestviken."]

Bernadette

Quote from: Maximilian on January 22, 2024, 12:41:29 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on January 22, 2024, 09:41:36 AMMight try Kirstin Lavransdatter again. Fourth time lucky?

If you're in the mood for "Kristin Lavransdatter," but you've already read it 3 times, you might want to try "Olav Audunssøn," Sigrid Undsett's subsequent novel. There's a new translation available, and they just finished the 4th volume. [Previously titled "The Master of Hestviken."]
Excellent. I was hoping they'd have a new translation of that.
My Lord and my God.

LausTibiChriste

SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Bernadette

The Count of Monte Cristo, read by David Clarke.
My Lord and my God.

red solo cup

Titans Of The Seas. The Development and Operations of Japanese and American Carrier Task Forces During World War II by James and William Belote

LuxVera

Book form: Ben—Hur

Audible: some audiobook about the English Civil Wars
"Keep innocency, and take heed unto the thing that is right: for that shall bring a man peace at the last."  -Psalm 37:38, Coverdale Psalter

Bernadette

I can't focus much on printed books at the moment, so I'm doing all of my "reading" via audiobooks. Last night was The Queen of Hearts, by Wilkie Collins. A collection of loosely connected short stories.
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Getting ready to start Martin Chuzzlewit. I always skip the American chapters.
My Lord and my God.