Google executive says it's possible to live to be 500

Started by Chestertonian, March 10, 2015, 11:10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chestertonian

Quote from: Habitual_Ritual on March 10, 2015, 02:25:38 PM
Quote from: LausTibiChriste on March 10, 2015, 02:04:04 PM
But on the other hand, the world is crap and why put of eternal bliss any longer than we have to?

lol. This

Can you imagine having t deal with taxes for 500 years?? Take me now!

:)
it's OK just start collecting social security when you're 65
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: GloriaPatri on March 10, 2015, 01:47:08 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 10, 2015, 01:40:21 PM
What legitimate reason is there for anyone to want to live past 90?

You get old.  Your faculties start going.

Plus, and this is the worst of them all, think of all the other imbeciles you'd have to interact with.

If you slow down the ageing process (let's say we slow it down by half) then 90 would be the new 45, 100 the new 50, and so on. Life extension is never just a matter of living longer, it involves drastically slowing down the ageing process itself.

But does that mean the teen years and the adolescent drama lasts twice as long, too?

Think of a dog's lifespan compared to ours -- they go through all the same phases, just in a shorter period.  Even their teething is shorter, same with their adolescent drama and puberty (assuming not neutered).   This would be the reverse -- and if it started from birth, then all sorts of things would take twice as long (including the baby phase).  That would mean supporting minor children who lack maturity to make it on their own for up to 40 years.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

LausTibiChriste

Quote from: OCLittleFlower on March 10, 2015, 05:23:15 PM

Plus, and this is the worst of them all, think of all the other imbeciles you'd have to interact with.

If you slow down the ageing process (let's say we slow it down by half) then 90 would be the new 45, 100 the new 50, and so on. Life extension is never just a matter of living longer, it involves drastically slowing down the ageing process itself.

But does that mean the teen years and the adolescent drama lasts twice as long, too?

Think of a dog's lifespan compared to ours -- they go through all the same phases, just in a shorter period.  Even their teething is shorter, same with their adolescent drama and puberty (assuming not neutered).   This would be the reverse -- and if it started from birth, then all sorts of things would take twice as long (including the baby phase).  That would mean supporting minor children who lack maturity to make it on their own for up to 40 years.

From my admittedly inadequate understanding, it doesn't work like this. Most everything would stay the same (pregnancy length, approximate age of puberty, etc. etc.) but medicine/gene therapy/whatever can be introduced to adults to slow or reverse the aging process so that a 30 year old can basically stay 30 for a lot longer than a year...if that makes sense.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Baldrick

Since these people almost certainly don't believe in everlasting life in any meaningful sense, it's fairly logical I suppose that they would want this, as one might imagine (erroneously of course) that any kind of existence is better than annihilation.  With all of the advances in gene manipulation, the harvesting of organs, etc., I wouldn't at all be surprised if the beginnings of this occurred in the next 50 years or so. 

Chestertonian

and women could stay fertile for decades possibly a century and we can have mega trad families with 100 babies
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

GloriaPatri

As Laus hs already said, slowing down the ageing process only begins once maturity has been reached. The growth rate from birth to 25ish is left alone, while ageing beyond that is slowed down. No life extension supporter would advocate slowing down the ageing process during the early years.

Akavit

Bad idea.  Bad, bad, bad.  At least now, all those corrupt, evil people who tend to seize power over government and finances die off by the age of 100.  Last thing we need is some 400 year old evil genius manipulating world affairs.

Greg

Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

The Curt Jester

Wouldn't someone (in modern times) have to actually live to 500 before they could say it's possible to live to be 500?
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: GloriaPatri on March 10, 2015, 06:13:40 PM

As Laus hs already said, slowing down the ageing process only begins once maturity has been reached. The growth rate from birth to 25ish is left alone, while ageing beyond that is slowed down. No life extension supporter would advocate slowing down the ageing process during the early years.

And yet -- wouldn't that be the easiest way to modify it -- to replace the gene that makes people age, before they are even born?

Not saying it's morally okay -- just saying it makes the most sense...
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Archer

That would mean supporting minor children who lack maturity to make it on their own for up to 40 years.

Wait.  How is that different than what happens today?
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Kaesekopf

Still can't see a reason to live longer.

We all have to die. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Archer

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 11, 2015, 07:58:08 AM

We all have to die.

It's the one certainty in life.  Meditating on the Four Last Things gives you the right perspective on life.  It's a race; a race that could end for us at any time.  What matters is being prepared for the next life, because that's the one that's going to last for eternity.  It'll make our 80, 90, 100 years on earth seem shorter than a blink. 
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Habitual_Ritual

" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

GloriaPatri

Quote from: Kaesekopf on March 11, 2015, 07:58:08 AM

We all have to die.

Well, if interstellar travel ever becomes a thing travel times will be centuries at the least.

Also, as someone else said earlier I do have quite a decent bucket list. There are so many sites I want to visit, both holy and secular. That I don't think I could fit it all into one lifetime.

Also, imagine the good you could do in service to God if you had more time to do it.

Longer lifespans could also mean less change, as it takes more time for one generation to give way to the next.

There's nothing inherently wrong with longer lifespans. Average life expectancy has been raising for centuries now, from mid 30s during the classical era to an average of 81 years in W. Europe today. And if we all lived ideally health lifestyles we could, as HabRit mentioned earlier, live to around 120.