A Rant

Started by Bonaventure, December 31, 2012, 01:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

Thought this would be the best fit for this. Here goes.

All of us belong to the divinely instituted Church that Christ founded. We are all united with one another in Faith and Charity. Our Lord paid for the sacraments by His passion, death, and resurrection.

Unfortunately, too many Catholics try to attach their own baggage onto what being Catholic means. Political, social, and cultural norms are attached. For some, it's a Leave it to Beaver, 1950s life. For others, it's bunkering up with grain, gold, and silver. The examples go on and on. Through the internet, I've met some intelligent, faithful, and charitable Catholics from all over the world. At the same time, I've encountered real Jew haters, real women haters, real racists, absolutely obsessed conspiracy theorists, and so on. Anyone who disagrees is a liberal or "not a trad," and not one iota of these things have to deal with doctrine or spirituality.

We know that God made us to know, love, and serve Him in this life so that we will be with Him forever in the next. We have a duty to share the great joys of our Faith and our Church with others, being the light of the world. Yet such behavior does not attract others to the Church, and serves as obstacles to conversion.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Ancilla Domini

Penelope

Yes, exactly. What you've said here is, I think, a danger on trad fora in particular. Accusations of "not really a trad" fly about in all directions, I suspect because this is one of the easiest ways to hurt someone who truly desires to live an authentically Catholic life. This is something that I'd particularly like us to avoid at SD. It's certainly difficult to remain charitable, courteous, and respectful when faced with a thread or a post that screams out in apparent idiocy or ignorance, but it's at these moments that charity and manners are needed most.

poche

Not everyone is perfect. Maybe we should pray for them and leave the rest to the mercy of God.
:) :) :)

Gottmitunsalex

Quote from: Penelope on December 31, 2012, 02:15:57 AM
Yes, exactly. What you've said here is, I think, a danger on trad fora in particular. Accusations of "not really a trad" fly about in all directions, I suspect because this is one of the easiest ways to hurt someone who truly desires to live an authentically Catholic life. This is something that I'd particularly like us to avoid at SD. It's certainly difficult to remain charitable, courteous, and respectful when faced with a thread or a post that screams out in apparent idiocy or ignorance, but it's at these moments that charity and manners are needed most.
I agree. Same applies to a poster who is libelous towards another. Also slanderous posters.
This is where charity and prudence from the "attacked" poster should kick in.
Moreover, never let yourselves be bullied.

"Nothing is more miserable than those people who never failed to attack their own salvation. When there was need to observe the Law, they trampled it under foot. Now that the Law has ceased to bind, they obstinately strive to observe it. What could be more pitiable that those who provoke God not only by transgressing the Law but also by keeping it? But at any rate the Jews say that they, too, adore God. God forbid that I say that. No Jew adores God! Who say so? The Son of God say so. For he said: "If you were to know my Father, you would also know me. But you neither know me nor do you know my Father". Could I produce a witness more trustworthy than the Son of God?"  St. John Chrysostom  Sunday Homily

"The two goals of the Jews: The universal domination of the world and the destruction of Catholicism, out of hatred for Christ" --Mgr. Jouin

Bonaventure

Charity covers a multitude of sin. I hope to be charitable on and off-line. No modern, 1970s luv "charity," but true, Catholic charity.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Kaesekopf

I agree very, very much.  But there is no question!  *twitch*    heehee

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Ben

One thing I would suggest is to encourage people like that to post here. It will generate activity.

People getting along works on forums dedicated to things like woodcarving or computer troubleshooting, but political and religious-themed forums tend to only be active if there's a bit of mudslinging.

columba

QuoteBonaventure wrote:
At the same time, I've encountered real Jew haters

I've also encounterd those who may come across as being "Jew haters" and usually mistakenly so. They are reacting more to the Jewish takeover of western society where they (the Jews) have disproportionate influence in politics, banking and media, where their anit-Christian influence has a real detrimental effect on society.
Don't need to hate Jews to state that fact.

Quotereal women haters,

This too can appear at times as an over-reaction to the feminization of society in genral and NO Church in particular. I don't think I've ever met a genuine Catholic woman hater.

Quotereal racists

Haven't met many of them.

Quoteabsolutely obsessed conspiracy theorists

The way to deal with them is to check out what they're saying and see if it holds water. If it does, it ain't a conspiracy theory no more. I've seen more of the opposite variety who refuse to look at any alternative view other than that which procedes from mainstream sources.

QuoteWe know that God made us to know, love, and serve Him in this life so that we will be with Him forever in the next. We have a duty to share the great joys of our Faith and our Church with others, being the light of the world. Yet such behavior does not attract others to the Church, and serves as obstacles to conversion.

It can do. That's why one must be careful how certain opinions/facts are presented.
Many do not like uncomfortable truths. This has always been the case since the birth of the Church and at times it can be tempting to supress the truth in order to keep certain individuals onboard. I don't think this ever works out well in the long run. It's better to be as charitable as possible in language and tone rather than not say what really should be said.

BTW. Just found this forum. Posted a view times on FE. Greetings all.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.
G. K. Chesterton

Southern Ascetic

I only disagree slightly with this rant. I think it is prudent to have food stored, and to have precious metals, and also not all conspiracy theories are false, that's just a label mainstream media and the government put on them to have you believe their official lie. Some people are obsessive over them, I do not deny that, but that doesn't mean all trads who think 9/11 was an inside job and try to prepare for a possible financial collapse/WWIII are committing a sin.

8)

Bonaventure

Quote from: Ascetik on December 31, 2012, 04:35:08 PM
I only disagree slightly with this rant. I think it is prudent to have food stored, and to have precious metals, and also not all conspiracy theories are false, that's just a label mainstream media and the government put on them to have you believe their official lie. Some people are obsessive over them, I do not deny that, but that doesn't mean all trads who think 9/11 was an inside job and try to prepare for a possible financial collapse/WWIII are committing a sin.

8)

Didn't say that.

Quo Vadis

I don't see where Christ told us to be political.  Politicians are hirelings and care not for the flock.

If the cockrel grows among and chokes the wheat, don't try to root out the cockrel but let it grow with the wheat until harvest.

If the Church is in troubled seas, pray "save us o lord, for we perish".

If we try to save our life we will lose it.

In the wholle Church, only Christ was severe on the enemies of the Church.

The children of the world are wiser in their generation than the children of light. We cannot defeat them at their game.

Our Lady of Fatima tells us what we are to do, and what God will do.

Watch and pray.  If we see the signs in the heavens, we know the redemption is near.

Since Christ Himself has said, "This is My Body" who shall dare to doubt that It is His Body?
-- St Cyril of Jerusalem