Limbo

Started by Penelope, January 09, 2013, 09:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bonaventure on January 23, 2013, 06:56:59 PM
It is illogical because a miscarried baby doesn't have the wedding gown, the laver of baptism. It is impossible to enter into Heaven without this, so that's the answer.

St. Thomas Aquinas said that for infants, limbo is a state of eternal bliss.

But then, what of baptism of desire? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bonaventure

That's different. The desire for baptism remits original sin.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

CoolCat

Kaesekopf

But, if that opportunity is afforded to an adult or adolescent, why wouldn't the same be offered to a child? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bonaventure

A child in the womb cannot make an act of faith, or charity, nor can one desire baptism.

That's the difference.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Penelope

Quote from: CoolCat on January 23, 2013, 06:56:42 PM
Quote from: Penelope on January 23, 2013, 06:50:37 PM
What to you say to otherwise devout Catholics who believe that aborted and miscarried babies go straight to Heaven (especially to women who have experienced miscarriage and comfort themselves with the idea that their babies are in Heaven)? I don't want to crush people's Faith, nor their emotions, but it really is illogical to oppose abortion but also to believe that aborted babies go to Heaven. Has anyone had success in a gentle approach that allows people to understand children's limbo?
Many of us pro-life activists do not delve that far in, theologically speaking. We make progress by trying to change the mothers' and her boyfriend's mind. It would be very difficult to explain to them what is Limbo.
In fact, it may even defeat the purpose.

No, I definitely know that. I was quite active in the pro-life movement for a solid few years. I'm talking about quasi-trads and neo-Caths who have all the good intentions in the world and are fairly solid in their knowledge of the faith (comparatively speaking), but who have somehow formed the notion that aborted and miscarried babies go to Heaven.

LouisIX

Limbus Patrem would be closed, but there may exist a third kind of limbo.  Dante refers to a place where virtuous pagans go (ones who did not reject Christ).  He places people like Plato and Aristotle here.  The question of whether such a place could still be open (or whether it exists at all) is open for debate, but I think it's at least quite possible.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Mithrandylan

Quote from: Penelope on January 23, 2013, 09:27:52 PM
What to you say to otherwise devout Catholics who believe that aborted and miscarried babies go straight to Heaven (especially to women who have experienced miscarriage and comfort themselves with the idea that their babies are in Heaven)? I don't want to crush people's Faith, nor their emotions, but it really is illogical to oppose abortion but also to believe that aborted babies go to Heaven. Has anyone had success in a gentle approach that allows people to understand children's limbo?
Many of us pro-life activists do not delve that far in, theologically speaking. We make progress by trying to change the mothers' and her boyfriend's mind. It would be very difficult to explain to them what is Limbo.

No, I definitely know that. I was quite active in the pro-life movement for a solid few years. I'm talking about quasi-trads and neo-Caths who have all the good intentions in the world and are fairly solid in their knowledge of the faith (comparatively speaking), but who have somehow formed the notion that aborted and miscarried babies go to Heaven.

Well, I would honestly do everything I can to avoid that conversation.

It's not a conversation that can be had (usually) because it's predicated on emotions.  They don't feel it's right, etc. etc.

Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Et redémit nos ab inimícis nostris: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Qui dat escam omni carni: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Deo cæli: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.
Confitémini Dómino dominórum: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

For he was mindful of us in our affliction: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
And he redeemed us from our enemies: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Who giveth food to all flesh: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the God of heaven: * for his mercy endureth for ever.
Give glory to the Lord of lords: * for his mercy endureth for ever.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

Bonaventure

Quote from: Mithrandylan on January 23, 2013, 09:32:23 PM
Quote from: Penelope on January 23, 2013, 09:27:52 PM

Well, I would honestly do everything I can to avoid that conversation.

It's not a conversation that can be had (usually) because it's predicated on emotions.  They don't feel it's right, etc. etc.

It is a purely emotional argument.

Penelope

Yeah, I agree, but can you see how it's easy for people in the pro-life movement or women who have had miscarriages to believe that? I want to have this conversation with these people, but it's just impossible without bringing up trauma. I don't know if there's a gentle way to say, "Actually, your dead baby is never going to be in Heaven. Sorry."

Mithrandylan

Well P, some people believe that infants who die before baptism can obtain Heaven by the faith of their parents.  I believe, though I'm not sure, that this is (when correctly applied) an orthodox and permitted belief.  In principle (I hope to be corrected if I am wrong on this) it isn't any different from a water baptism of an infant with godparents.  The godparents are the proxy.  A baby is, as mentioned before, incapable of making an act of faith.  How can one without faith be baptized?  godparents.  Ditto miscarried babies.  However, it isn't reasonable that a woman who had an abortion's child would go to heaven this way, since it's entirely against reason to think that a woman who would willfully murder (remember, willful murder is one of the five sins that cry to Heaven for vengeance) has faith.

Also, a miscarried baby can receive an actual water baptism.

Also, if anyone knows I'm wrong, please correct me.  This is a serious issue and we should be careful with it.
Ps 135

Quia in humilitáte nostra memor fuit nostri: * quóniam in ætérnum misericórdia eius.

-I retract any and all statements I have made that are incongruent with the True Faith, and apologize for ever having made them-

LouisIX

Tell them that the theologians teach that limbo is a place of complete natural happiness.  It's probably better than our best conceptions of heaven. 

If you can imagine the most comfortable and happy you could be in this life, the very best moment you've experienced, that's what these little ones experience for eternity.

IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

LouisIX

But, as Mith said, you won't find very many who will say that this is a de fide teaching of the Church.  It's possible, I think, to be totally traditional and Catholic and believe that all unbaptized babies go to heaven.  Holding this position is not without difficulty as it has been believed by most Catholics and theologians throughout history, but it's not impossible.

Bonaventure

Quote from: LouisIX on January 23, 2013, 10:05:17 PM
It's possible, I think, to be totally traditional and Catholic and believe that all unbaptized babies go to heaven.  Holding this position is not without difficulty as it has been believed by most Catholics and theologians throughout history, but it's not impossible.

I don't see how that is possible, because it denies the necessity of baptism, and essentially sweeps what Aquinas, Augustine, et al. said.

Mithrandylan

Quote from: Bonaventure on January 23, 2013, 10:07:51 PM
Quote from: LouisIX on January 23, 2013, 10:05:17 PM
It's possible, I think, to be totally traditional and Catholic and believe that all unbaptized babies go to heaven.  Holding this position is not without difficulty as it has been believed by most Catholics and theologians throughout history, but it's not impossible.

I don't see how that is possible, because it denies the necessity of baptism, and essentially sweeps what Aquinas, Augustine, et al. said.

If an unbaptized baby went to heaven, it would be due to his parents faith and prayers.  Now, if we can somehow accept that, the problem of saying ALL unbaptized babies go to Heaven is that it relies on ALL unbaptized babies parents having the faith and prayers to do so. 

Baptism without faith isn't really worth anything is it?  Honest question.  A baby, baptized or not, cannot have faith. 
Ps 135