Marian Hymns

Started by Bernadette, September 28, 2016, 07:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

I'm a fan of the Dominican Salve... 

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

The nuns I visited sang this every night at Compline. :)
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bernadette on October 01, 2016, 03:00:15 PM

Awesome. 

Have you read about the Salve procession and its origins

QuoteSince the time of St. Bernard, the Salve Regina (Hail Holy Queen) has been sung by religious in monasteries throughout the world in honor of the Blessed Mother. In 1221, very soon after the death of St. Dominic, Bl. Jordan of Saxony instituted a procession after Compline, which was to accompany the singing of the Salve. This was done in response to a crisis in the community. In Bologna at this time, several Dominican houses were having trouble with assaults from the devil, and a certain brother by the name of Bernard was suffering acutely. His difficulty caused disturbance to the whole community. It was decided to invoke the aide of our Heavenly Mother. The Salve was thereafter sung in procession, seeking the Blessed Mother's special protection. Immediately, peace was restored to the monastery. The practice of the Salve procession spread rapidly to other Dominican houses, as well as to other religious orders in the Church.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

martin88nyc

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLMeHBkLQJo&[/yt]

My favorite hymn. I only like to sing Salve Regina after Mass, don't know why.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Bernadette

Quote from: Kaesekopf on October 01, 2016, 04:22:48 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on October 01, 2016, 03:00:15 PM

Awesome. 

Have you read about the Salve procession and its origins

QuoteSince the time of St. Bernard, the Salve Regina (Hail Holy Queen) has been sung by religious in monasteries throughout the world in honor of the Blessed Mother. In 1221, very soon after the death of St. Dominic, Bl. Jordan of Saxony instituted a procession after Compline, which was to accompany the singing of the Salve. This was done in response to a crisis in the community. In Bologna at this time, several Dominican houses were having trouble with assaults from the devil, and a certain brother by the name of Bernard was suffering acutely. His difficulty caused disturbance to the whole community. It was decided to invoke the aide of our Heavenly Mother. The Salve was thereafter sung in procession, seeking the Blessed Mother's special protection. Immediately, peace was restored to the monastery. The practice of the Salve procession spread rapidly to other Dominican houses, as well as to other religious orders in the Church.

Yes, the sisters would process through the cloisters and back into the choir, singing this and "O Lumen Ecclesiae," and then the Prioress would bless them. It's such a beautiful tradition.  :)
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bernadette on October 01, 2016, 07:50:57 PM
Yes, the sisters would process through the cloisters and back into the choir, singing this and "O Lumen Ecclesiae," and then the Prioress would bless them. It's such a beautiful tradition.  :)

The O Lumen is so beautiful.

abc123

Quote from: martin88nyc on October 01, 2016, 06:44:31 PM
[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLMeHBkLQJo&[/yt]

My favorite hymn. I only like to sing Salve Regina after Mass, don't know why.

My favorite as well. I recently spent time at a Russian Orthodox monastery and they actually chant this after Compline. It is a tradition that the current abbot started.

John Lamb

"Let all bitterness and animosity and indignation and defamation be removed from you, together with every evil. And become helpfully kind to one another, inwardly compassionate, forgiving among yourselves, just as God also graciously forgave you in the Anointed." – St. Paul

PerEvangelicaDicta

They shall not be confounded in the evil time; and in the days of famine they shall be filled
Psalms 36:19