Self-employed folks, what do you do?

Started by johnb104, February 23, 2014, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnb104

I've worked for myself on and off since I was 15. I do all kinds of yard work, cement work, and small construction projects.

I'm curious what others who work for themselves do, and how they got started. Thanks.
Scribere proposui de contemptu mundano,
ut degentes seculi non mulcentur in vano.
Iam est hora surgere a sompno mortis pravo

james03

Engineering and project management consultant for the oil industry.  At 2 a.m. one night in a project trailer, my friend (and future business partner) were talking about the moral degradation of society and how feminism was destroying men.  How soon companies would be incapable of executing.  So we decided we needed to get out on our own and consult, figuring that due to EEOC rules, we would have to be paid the same as some mouth breather if we stayed company, but as outsiders, we could be paid what we were worth.

Turns out we were right.

Getting started means saving up a lot of money beforehand.  Doing a detailed business plan, coming up with a conservative estimate of how much cash you need, then doubling that number.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

verenaerin

I am starting a business this summer in sewing machine repair. I go to a class in May to learn. There is very little you need as far as tools. So the start up is minimal. I think I will get a web site and an add in the yellow pages.

There are no repair men in the area, so I hope to have a good run of it.

Habitual_Ritual

I've worked for myself as a graphic artist from time to time and still intend to pursue side jobs in the future when my life settles down. I do find it's easier to work for someone else though rather than scrounging for jobs all the time. Right now I teach and that suits my lifestyle.

I would like to be a homesteader tho. If Father Grunner's latest Crusader is correct, that may become my default situation anyways very shortly.  Lol
" There exists now an enormous religious ignorance. In the times since the Council it is evident we have failed to pass on the content of the Faith."

(Pope Benedict XVI speaking in October 2002.)

Chestertonian

I used to teach high school English, then went on disability after I got very sick.  For the past year I have been teaching piano out of my house and recently found another teacher to partner with which is important since I am not always well enough to make every commitment and it is good to have someone to cover fort me while still maintaining my job. 
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

ResRev

My husband and I bought a little neighborhood of houses built in the 40s and 50s. I've been slowly fixing them up the past ten years or so. They're looking good! The rents pay our primary home's mortgage, so that's not a negligable bit of income for my time. I keep the rents lower than anywhere else in the county, so the tenants are happy, too, and I don't feel like a cruel slumlord or something. We always have a waiting list of people wanting to rent. Win win.
"You shall seek me, and shall find me: when you shall seek me with all your heart." Jeremias 29:13

Heinrich

Looking to start a pet sitting, grooming, and eventually boarding business. Trying to read up and learn the tricks of the trade. I am also mulling a career change, too. So lots on the plate. As James said above, we'll target and designate monies to where they need to go, and them multiply by 2. Possibly 3.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Landless Laborer

I started as a laborer, became a carpenter, then subcontracted as a residential framer, then a turnkey commercial and apartment framer.  After saving enough capital, i started a building material supply business, ran it for 15 years, sold out and retired.   Not a glorious retirement by any means, i live a fairly frugal life and work part-time as a finish carpenter. 

Akavit

Just registered, starting looking around and couldn't help but to notice this thread.  I seldom bother with intro threads but this will serve as well as any other.

There's nothing like being self-employed for having adventures, that's for certain.  I'm a woodworker specializing in custom church furniture in traditional-inspired styles.  It's a tiny niche of course so I still do some residential and commercial work to keep the shop busy.

My entrance into the trade started with an apprenticeship at a furniture studio specializing in church furnishings (mostly modern due to demand).  I figured that sooner or later the Traditionalist revival would change demand and I'd eventually get the opportunity to build more traditional projects.  It happened but in an unexpected way.  The combo of the recession and the advanced age of the nuns who were the primary buyers of modern chapel furnishings dropped the bottom out of the market.  I partnered with a co-worker, we launched our business targeting the traditional clientele and were fortunate to land our first job for an SSPX chapel within 3 months.

Two years later we're profitable and still landing jobs.  Here are a few sample images of the projects.

Furnished the entire chapel including, pews, altar rail, altar and canopy.

Just a little job but still fun.

Organ casing in progress at the time of the photo.  The church is a very liberal one but the pastor seems to really like traditional art and architecture.  He's restored almost the entire interior by now.

verenaerin

Akavit, what an inspiring way to use your talent! It must be very rewarding. I have great respect for men that can built beautiful things from piles of wood, or blocks of stone, etc.

Landless Laborer

Yeah i was going to comment on Akavit earlier and forgot.  They're all beautiful.  May God bless you. 

james03

QuoteTrying to read up and learn the tricks of the trade.
Have an accountant, especially if you hire anyone.  One hire means 40+ not inconsequential forms that have to be filled out each year.  That was before Obamacare.  I advise not hiring anyone if at all possible.  At the height I had about 12 guys.  Now it is just me.  A huge improvement.

Sounds like a good black market business too.  But don't comment on that.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Bonaventure

Some tutoring on the side. Just put yourself out there, produce good results, and don't get too greedy.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Landless Laborer

Icterus

I started 3 businesses along the way while working for others, the 3rd one has been moderately successful.  It is aviation related, and it took a long time to develop the necessary experience and contact network to make it possible.  I started it 10 years ago, and sold it last year.  Now I consult for it, because I like it, because I need the money, and because someday they may default and I'll get it back, and so I need to be up-to-date on everything.     

Also, James03 knows what he is talking about.