Author Topic: Prenuptial Agreements  (Read 730 times)

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Prenuptial Agreements
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 05:02:30 PM »
The pre-nupt is more common among older people getting married who already have families from previous marriages and want to protect both their children, or their new spouses and who want to make sure their assets are divided properly in case of death. Also, to avoid costly court battles or the expenses of probate. 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The following users thanked this post: GiftOfGod

Offline GiftOfGod

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Catholic (traditional)
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 06:26:17 PM »
Are those figures close to reality? Certainly not here in Ireland.  House/assets/savings gets sold and proceeds split in two, average guy pays on average 50 - 150 pw for all the kids depending on how many kids and how much he earns until they're 18.  Of course there are some anomalies and that is just a basic view on divorce here.

Yes. Feel free to Google "US states child support maximum" and "US states alimony maximum" (they are considered separately).

I will explain the basics of divorce property division: most US states use a system called "equitable distribution" where a judge divides the marital property into what he thinks is fair and in the case of a high-earner and stay-at-home wife, he's going to give more to the woman because she "gave up her career" and the man can continue earning his income. Some states use a system called "community property", which means that the judge has limited or no discretion and must divide up marital property by two.

Offline andy

• Korporal
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2021, 12:17:41 AM »
was that topic beaten to death about year ago here?

Offline GiftOfGod

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Catholic (traditional)
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2021, 01:36:52 AM »
No, that was about me notifying potential brides that I wanted to keep my property separate during marriage. I don't think a prenup was mentioned.

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2021, 02:16:18 PM »
No, that was about me notifying potential brides that I wanted to keep my property separate during marriage. I don't think a prenup was mentioned.

To be fair no you didn't but its along the same lines.