Why — as NY’s archbishop — I relish the Jewish high holy days

Started by GiftOfGod, September 11, 2021, 12:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiftOfGod

QuoteIn April, as I concluded a dozen years as archbishop, a reporter surprised me by asking an easy question: "What do you like most about New York?" He may likewise have been startled when, high on the list, I mentioned: "The friendship and cooperation of our Jewish neighbors."

Of course I listed the Yankees and the Mets, the great Italian restaurants and the Rockettes, but I prioritized my affection for the Jewish community.

Especially do I relish their holy days, and two of the most significant, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, are upon us. Not only do I wish God's blessings upon our Jewish community on these two occasions, but I thank them as well for the meaning and lessons these days hold for all of us.

Rosh Hashanah is, of course, the Jewish New Year. (We Catholics have our own the first Sunday of Advent.) I've always shared with my rabbi friends my envy that their new year comes as fall, school reopening, the end of summer, the conclusion of the harvest and the first Giants game all take place. How natural to celebrate a fresh start!

To be able to "begin anew" is a given in the human person, with our nature oozing resilience and our always wanting to try again. As the Bible cherished by Jews and Christians teaches, each morning the rising sun reminds us that God has not given up on us. Therefore, neither should we.

Do we ever need that renewal now! For a year-and-a-half, we've asked with the psalms of Israel, "How long, O Lord?" — as we've been scared, confused, saddened and tense over the COVID crisis. If that were not anxiety enough, we've got Afghanistan, Haiti, the border, political bitterness here at home, hurricanes and wildfires.

Shall we cower and cover up in bed each morning or take a deep breath, thank the Lord for being with us, make an act of trust and start afresh? Rosh Hashanah chooses Option 2. Thanks! We all need that.

Then the "Day of Atonement," Yom Kippur.

An abandoned beggar, rescued from the gutters of Calcutta by Mother Teresa, asked her later what she would most like to change in the world. She replied, "Myself."

Even this radiant saint admitted she needed conversion of heart, renewal, a reform of selfish, destructive tendencies in herself.

If I understand this holy day correctly, that's what our Jewish neighbors acknowledge on the "Day of Atonement." They heed the exhortation of their prophets to repent and return to God's law and covenant. That's akin to what we Christians do during Lent and, again, if my facts are straight, what the Islamic community does during Ramadan. 

Once again, I sure find that sentiment refreshing. When's the last time we heard someone caught in a bad mistake or crime simply whisper, "I'm sorry! I did it! I'm at fault! I need forgiveness of God, the people I've hurt and myself"? 

Instead, we usually hear blame placed on our upbringing, our culture, the wrongs of others or people out to get me. We usually preface an admission with, "Well, if I hurt anybody, I regret it." On Yom Kippur, our Jewish friends rather say, "I have hurt God, others and myself, and I'm sorry!"

As that old commercial put it, "Thanks! I needed that!"

Thank you, older brothers and sisters in faith, as Pope Francis calls the Jewish people, because this at-times discouraged neighbor and friend sure can use a fresh start; this sinner certainly needs to say, "I'm sorry!" With all the neuralgia we as Catholics have, with the horror of scandals and crisis of sexual abuse, count me among you as needing a fresh start and sincere contrition.

You may even see me sneak into the back of the temple!

Timothy Cardinal Dolan is archbishop of New York.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/05/why-nys-archbishop-relishes-the-jewish-high-holy-days/
Quote from: Maximilian on December 30, 2021, 11:15:48 AM
Quote from: Goldfinch on December 30, 2021, 10:36:10 AM
Quote from: Innocent Smith on December 30, 2021, 10:25:55 AM
If attending Mass, the ordinary form as celebrated everyday around the world be sinful, then the Church no longer exists. Period.
Rather, if the NOM were the lex credendi of the Church, then the Church would no longer exist. However, the true mass and the true sacraments still exist and will hold the candle of faith until Our Lord steps in to restore His Bride to her glory.
We could compare ourselves to the Catholics in England at the time of the Reformation. Was it sinful for them to attend Cranmer's service?
We have to remind ourselves that all the machinery of the "Church" continued in place. They had priests, bishops, churches, cathedrals. But all of them were using the new "Book of Common Prayer" instead of the Catholic Mass. Ordinary lay people could see with their own eyes an enormous entity that called itself the "Church," but did the true Church still exist in that situation? Meanwhile, in small hiding places in certain homes were a handful of true priests offering the true Mass at the risk of imprisonment, torture and death.

AlNg

Quote from: GiftOfGod on September 11, 2021, 12:41:53 AM

[/quote]
So it is OK for Catholics to worship with the Jews in a Jewish temple?

ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez

Quote from: AlNg on September 12, 2021, 12:55:36 PM

You're not the schismatic troll AlNg777, are you?
this page left intentionally blank

Michael Wilson

Quote from: AlNg on September 12, 2021, 12:55:36 PM

[/quote]
No it is not O.K. The modern Jewish religion is based on the premise that Christ was not the Messiah; therefore the Messiah has not come and the Old Testament is still in force. All of these are contrary to the teaching of Our Lord and His Church.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Tennessean

QuoteIn April, as I concluded a dozen years as archbishop, a reporter surprised me by asking an easy question: "What do you like most about New York?" He may likewise have been startled when, high on the list, I mentioned: "The friendship and cooperation of our Jewish neighbors."

Of course I listed the Yankees and the Mets, the great Italian restaurants and the Rockettes, but I prioritized my affection for the Jewish community.

Especially do I relish their holy days, and two of the most significant, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur, are upon us. Not only do I wish God's blessings upon our Jewish community on these two occasions, but I thank them as well for the meaning and lessons these days hold for all of us.

Rosh Hashanah is, of course, the Jewish New Year. (We Catholics have our own the first Sunday of Advent.) I've always shared with my rabbi friends my envy that their new year comes as fall, school reopening, the end of summer, the conclusion of the harvest and the first Giants game all take place. How natural to celebrate a fresh start!

To be able to "begin anew" is a given in the human person, with our nature oozing resilience and our always wanting to try again. As the Bible cherished by Jews and Christians teaches, each morning the rising sun reminds us that God has not given up on us. Therefore, neither should we.

Do we ever need that renewal now! For a year-and-a-half, we've asked with the psalms of Israel, "How long, O Lord?" — as we've been scared, confused, saddened and tense over the COVID crisis. If that were not anxiety enough, we've got Afghanistan, Haiti, the border, political bitterness here at home, hurricanes and wildfires.

Shall we cower and cover up in bed each morning or take a deep breath, thank the Lord for being with us, make an act of trust and start afresh? Rosh Hashanah chooses Option 2. Thanks! We all need that.

Then the "Day of Atonement," Yom Kippur.

An abandoned beggar, rescued from the gutters of Calcutta by Mother Teresa, asked her later what she would most like to change in the world. She replied, "Myself."

Even this radiant saint admitted she needed conversion of heart, renewal, a reform of selfish, destructive tendencies in herself.

If I understand this holy day correctly, that's what our Jewish neighbors acknowledge on the "Day of Atonement." They heed the exhortation of their prophets to repent and return to God's law and covenant. That's akin to what we Christians do during Lent and, again, if my facts are straight, what the Islamic community does during Ramadan. 

Once again, I sure find that sentiment refreshing. When's the last time we heard someone caught in a bad mistake or crime simply whisper, "I'm sorry! I did it! I'm at fault! I need forgiveness of God, the people I've hurt and myself"? 

Instead, we usually hear blame placed on our upbringing, our culture, the wrongs of others or people out to get me. We usually preface an admission with, "Well, if I hurt anybody, I regret it." On Yom Kippur, our Jewish friends rather say, "I have hurt God, others and myself, and I'm sorry!"

As that old commercial put it, "Thanks! I needed that!"

Thank you, older brothers and sisters in faith, as Pope Francis calls the Jewish people, because this at-times discouraged neighbor and friend sure can use a fresh start; this sinner certainly needs to say, "I'm sorry!" With all the neuralgia we as Catholics have, with the horror of scandals and crisis of sexual abuse, count me among you as needing a fresh start and sincere contrition.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/05/why-nys-archbishop-relishes-the-jewish-high-holy-days/
Aren't the jewish holidays no more than 19th century judeo-american historical accretions, so jewish children wouldn't feel odd at Christmas time?

aquinas138

So becoming of an archbishop to include the Rockettes among the things that make New York great. Sigh.
What shall we call you, O full of grace? * Heaven? for you have shone forth the Sun of Righteousness. * Paradise? for you have brought forth the Flower of immortality. * Virgin? for you have remained incorrupt. * Pure Mother? for you have held in your holy embrace your Son, the God of all. * Entreat Him to save our souls.

AlNg

Quote from: ChairmanJoeAintMyPrez on September 12, 2021, 01:10:52 PM

You're not the schismatic troll are you?
What do you think about Cardinal Dolan sneaking into the back of a Jewish temple? This is what i was asking about.

Tennessean

Quote from: AlNg on September 12, 2021, 05:48:20 PM

You're not the schismatic troll are you?
What do you think about Cardinal Dolan sneaking into the back of a Jewish temple? This is what i was asking about.
I think its great. I'd like to observe sufis sometime. Can't wait to be a bishop.

mikemac

How long do you have to observe sufis before you see one get dizzy and fall down?
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Miriam_M

A Cardinal who says "Bravo" to homosexuality has zero credibility about anything.

https://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2014/03/cardinal-dolan-says-bravo-to-homosexual.html

The man is the very definition of scandal and blasphemy.  ("Good for him" and "God Bless You" [for your sexual behavior.] )  It's also the essence of perverted, false "charity."  If the Cardinal loved him, he would not validate the sodomy but engage in the spiritual work of mercy, which would be to counsel him away from the behavior.  Therefore, +Dolan does not even understand the virtue of charity.

This is a cleric who is either very confused about the Catholic faith or has abandoned it entirely for the purpose of engaging in novelty and frivolity via patronizing behavior and speech.  Before the Council he would have been removed from public ministry at least until he publicly recanted, and probably forever. His list of errors is practically uncountable.

Tennessean

Quote from: mikemac on September 12, 2021, 06:40:03 PM
How long do you have to observe sufis before you see one get dizzy and fall down?
I have no idea how they do it. Until 911, that's what I thought Islam was.

King Wenceslas

Have a little touch of Yom Kippur here, a pinch of Ramadan there, a dash of Diwali over there and before you know it we will be all pagans thanks to the wonderful insights of Vatican II and taking deep breaths in the morning. Glory halleluiah a new springtime of faith has arrived.

Prayerful

+Dolan did a good quality visitation to St Patrick's College Maynooth, which unfortunately now is the Irish National Seminary. It was largely ignored, except Dermot Martin, the previous Abp of Dublin, did not sending seminarians there. Now that Dermot Farrell, a former college President, is the Abp, that likely will change. It does at least show that the homo-heresy of Maynooth was too much for the jolly New York Ordinary.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

james03

Quoteor has abandoned it entirely for the purpose of engaging in novelty and frivolity via patronizing behavior and speech.

Good for comedic relief.  He's not Catholic so I don't take him seriously.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Bonaventure

Quote from: AlNg on September 12, 2021, 12:55:36 PMSo it is OK for Catholics to worship with the Jews in a Jewish temple?

You're not the schismatic troll AlNg777, are you?

Please explain more. Does this user have a previous history of trolling? Can you corroborate?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."