Where WOULD You Attend Mass?

Started by Mithrandylan, December 29, 2012, 07:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Stubborn on December 30, 2012, 08:03:33 PM
Thanks Mith!

I've seen the label SSPX SO before but I still don't understand - I'm guessing it has something to do with the whole "talks with Rome"?

Is SO = against joining modernist Rome? If so, then that's me.

It's the group associated with Frs. Pfeiffer and Chazal down in Boston, KY after they were expelled.
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

tmw89

Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 30, 2012, 08:07:21 PM
Quote from: Stubborn on December 30, 2012, 08:03:33 PM
Thanks Mith!

I've seen the label SSPX SO before but I still don't understand - I'm guessing it has something to do with the whole "talks with Rome"?

Is SO = against joining modernist Rome? If so, then that's me.

It's the group associated with Frs. Pfeiffer and Chazal down in Boston, KY after they were expelled.

They've branded themselves "Society of St. Pius X of the Strict Observance" for legal reasons.
Quote from: Bishop WilliamsonThe "promise to respect" as Church law the New Code of Canon Law is to respect a number of supposed laws directly contrary to Church doctrine.

---

http://tradblogs.blogspot.com

NOW OPEN:  A new Trad forum featuring Catholic books, information, and discussion!

Der Kaiser

SSPV or CMRI, I would if needs be in the past have gone to an SSPX but now, after the SSPX's goofball talks with the Roman modernist heretics and the impending Beatification of JPII (Maciel Marciel anyone) I will never attend there Masses again.
"If a Pope changes the rites of the sacraments he puts himself outside the Church and is Anathema"-Pope Innocent III

"Rome will lose the faith and become the seat of Anti-Christ"-Our Lady of La Sallette

The hebrews have not recognized the lord, therefore we can not recognize the hebrews.-St Pius X

Southern Ascetic

I lul'd at Gerry Matatics living room.  ;D

JoyfulMother

I put Diocesan TLM before I realized where WOULD we go was the question.  If I had my way, it would be SSPX, but diocesan TLM for now.

poche

Quote from: beagle on December 30, 2012, 01:28:29 AM
Well, it's a long story. He was a Protestant, converted, was a mainstream traditionalist for awhile, then switched to Culkinism and now believes he's about the only real Catholic left in the world. Up there with Bawden and the Dimonds in the think-yourself-into-a-box hall of fame.
So he says that he is the last Catholic left? Maybe we can get him to turn the lights out when he leaves the room.

poche

joe17

I would say Independent, with CMRI a close second.  Really, for me, it could go either way.

Joe

MilesChristi

Quote from: poche on December 31, 2012, 11:30:22 PM
What is Culkism?

being a Home Aloner it seems (because the true mass/ true Church is in hiding)
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Penelope

What is Culkism?

People gave a brief explanation above, but it's a reference to Macauly Culkin, a former child actor who is most known for his lead role in the 1990s movie Home Alone. Hence, culkinism is a (newly coined?) humorous term for the belief that one does not have access to a valid Mass and thus chooses to stay home on Sundays.

OCLittleFlower

Quote from: Penelope on January 01, 2013, 07:45:22 PM
What is Culkism?

People gave a brief explanation above, but it's a reference to Macauly Culkin, a former child actor who is most known for his lead role in the 1990s movie Home Alone. Hence, culkinism is a (newly coined?) humorous term for the belief that one does not have access to a valid Mass and thus chooses to stay home on Sundays.

LOL

And I'd likely pick SSPX.  I guess.  I like what I've seen of the SSPX when we've visited, but I haven't attended them enough on a regular basis to really say.

Talks-wise, I'll never know what to think.  We don't know what Rome was offering, so how can we say?  I guess I lean toward thinking that the talks were a good thing, and praying that they sewed the right seeds in the right hearts and minds in Rome.
-- currently writing a Trad romance entitled Flirting with Sedevacantism --

???? ?? ?????? ????????? ???, ?? ?????.

Melkite

Eastern Rite only.  If I have to go to a Western rite church, Anglican Ordinariate if at all possible.  If that's not available, probably FSSP.  I don't know that I could go anywhere else in good conscience.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Melkite on January 03, 2013, 04:48:43 PM
Eastern Rite only.  If I have to go to a Western rite church, Anglican Ordinariate if at all possible.  If that's not available, probably FSSP. I don't know that I could go anywhere else in good conscience.

How do you mean and how come?

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Melkite

Quote from: Kaesekopf on January 03, 2013, 06:19:10 PM
Quote from: Melkite on January 03, 2013, 04:48:43 PM
Eastern Rite only.  If I have to go to a Western rite church, Anglican Ordinariate if at all possible.  If that's not available, probably FSSP. I don't know that I could go anywhere else in good conscience.

How do you mean and how come?

Well, I can't really shake the feeling that they are all schismatics.  I mean, I guess I could go to an Institute parish, but they are all in the midwest, and I live on the east coast, so that isn't a realistic option.  On top of the schismatic feeling, SSPX has some Latin triumphalist tendencies (I imagine SSPV, CMRI and related groups are the same, though I haven't ever seen any instances of it personally) and, imo, they take parts of the New Testament out of context and insist upon things as truly Catholic that are actually contrary to the Gospel (as far as I can tell).  I couldn't give you examples off the top of my head, I'm just going by the internal reactions I remember having after reading things in the past.

Kaesekopf

Oh!  Heh.  I guess I need to pay attention to poll options.  I thought you meant other TLMs and the NO.  And I was confused. 

Derp derp derp.