Have You Ever Sold a Quilt?

Started by Bernadette, August 11, 2015, 10:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Pretty self-explanatory. 😉 Someone wants to buy my "Jane Austen Replica" quilt, the one that took me 4 years to stitch by hand. And I have no idea what to ask for it. What do you guys think?
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

I've heard you total up what you spent on fabric and multiply by 3.

You could check on Etsy for quilts that are the same size, level of difficulty/detail...

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Gardener

Personally speaking, I do not think you should sell it unless it's a price commensurate with the high amount of effort you put into it+its value as a quilt.

That quilt is beautiful, and moreover it is a good reminder to YOU of the spiritual life as understood by the efforts of your own hand.

Each time you feel down or otherwise get frustrated with progress, just looking at that quilt should kick you in the rear to keep up the fight.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Akavit

Figure out how much time went into it and decide the value of your labor.  Then simply stick to that price.  Most people will gasp and turn away in disgust but that's to be expected.  When you're capable of making quality items, everyone desires what you make but only wealthy people can actually pay for it.

Bernadette

Sold. And for my asking price, too. I feel really good, knowing that the quilt will go to someone who really loves it. :)
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

verenaerin

MundaCorMeum

Congratulations!  That's really great :)