Reckless words

Started by Neopelagianus, June 13, 2015, 09:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

Quote from: Bernard on June 16, 2015, 07:57:25 AM

This is the problem with many "Trads" they want" the good old days" to return,but if they had been truly good then we wouldn't be undergoing chastisement now.It is up to us who have been chosen by God to live in this time to live truly Traditional Catholic lives and not long for what once was,if enough Catholics start living truly Catholic lives according to the sacred traditions of the church then the chastisement will come to an end.

Most of the trads on this forum are under 40 and weren't even alive when the modernists took over. I was in my early teens.

But I agree with the rest of your thoughts.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Archer

This is the problem with many "Trads" they want" the good old days" to return,but if they had been truly good then we wouldn't be undergoing chastisement now.It is up to us who have been chosen by God to live in this time to live truly Traditional Catholic lives and not long for what once was,if enough Catholics start living truly Catholic lives according to the sacred traditions of the church then the chastisement will come to an end.

How can I long for the "good old days" when I was born in the 80s? The "let's get back to the 50s" crowd is not nearly as popular as trad detractors would have it seem.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Elizabeth

Have you ever studied Fatima?

How can good Catholics not long for beauty?  What are the Good Old Days? 

Who started this anti 1950s cliche, anyway?  Bp. Williamson?  When the Catholic schools were free, the convents full, when pious souls waited for the Pope to consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary?

Bernard

Quote from: Elizabeth on June 16, 2015, 04:15:13 PM

Have you ever studied Fatima?

How can good Catholics not long for beauty?  What are the Good Old Days? 

Who started this anti 1950s cliche, anyway?  Bp. Williamson?  When the Catholic schools were free, the convents full, when pious souls waited for the Pope to consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary?
Have I ever studied Fatima? The message of Fatima and Fr.Gruner brought me back into the Traditional Church. If the 50's were so good then why are we being chastized? The problem with the 50's was that the laity took the church for granted,they were becoming increasingly more worldly,they were morphing into Sunday morning Catholics. I am merely commenting on the OP,why the angst?

LausTibiChriste

I don't long for the good ol' days.

I long for these days but with Traditional Catholicism firmly in place. I'd miss my phone too much if we went back to the '50s.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son Of God, Have Mercy On Me A Sinner

"Nobody is under any moral obligation of duty or loyalty to a state run by sexual perverts who are trying to destroy public morals."
- MaximGun

"Not trusting your government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it means you're a history buff"

Communism is as American as Apple Pie

Kaesekopf

Quote from: LausTibiChriste on June 16, 2015, 07:32:34 PM
I don't long for the good ol' days.

I long for these days but with Traditional Catholicism firmly in place. I'd miss my phone too much if we went back to the '50s.

I long for the days Catholics attempt to affect the culture and social atmosphere in this world.

The apathy Catholics have, even amongst trads, is astounding. 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Greg

Quote from: Bernard on June 16, 2015, 04:35:44 PM
If the 50's were so good then why are we being chastized?

Why did half of Catholic Europe die in the black death?  Pretty much everyone was going to mass back then and their lives were full of suffering.

Not sure you can lay the blame of these things on any particularly generation.  Seem a little too disconnect to me.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Bernard

Quote from: Greg on June 17, 2015, 08:35:14 AM

Why did half of Catholic Europe die in the black death?  Pretty much everyone was going to mass back then and their lives were full of suffering.

Not sure you can lay the blame of these things on any particularly generation.  Seem a little too disconnect to me.

So what happens when the chastisement that our Lady of Fatima said was coming if the Consecration of Russia was not done arrives?Who will we blame it on then?

Greg

I won't blame it on anyone in particular.

I'm looking forward to it.  To me it will be a blessed relief to see the world turned on it's head.  I will welcome the Russian tanks as they roll up the M20 motorway.  I'll point the way to Parliament where I hope they'll hang the paedophiles from lamposts.

I'm of the opinion that the way to deter crime is to execute FAR more criminals.  A post-chastisement world won't be conducive to liberalism or faggotry or the stupidity that dominates the western world today.

But, obviously, the Pope's from Pius XII onwards have all ignored this, so, if it happens, then they are to blame.

But, hey, it has to happen first.  We've had a LOT of false dawns.
Contentment is knowing that you're right. Happiness is knowing that someone else is wrong.

Archer

Quote from: Bernard on June 17, 2015, 10:34:18 AM

So what happens when the chastisement that our Lady of Fatima said was coming if the Consecration of Russia was not done arrives?Who will we blame it on then?

You're creating a problem where there isn't one.
"All the good works in the world are not equal to the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass because they are the works of men; but the Mass is the work of God. Martyrdom is nothing in comparison for it is but the sacrifice of man to God; but the Mass is the sacrifice of God for man." - St. John Vianney

Bernard

Quote from: Archer on June 17, 2015, 10:38:22 AM
Quote from: Bernard on June 17, 2015, 10:34:18 AM

You're creating a problem where there isn't one.

Sorry I woke you from your nap.

Greg

Quote from: Archer on June 16, 2015, 12:02:48 PM

How can I long for the "good old days" when I was born in the 80s? The "let's get back to the 50s" crowd is not nearly as popular as trad detractors would have it seem.

Anyone who remembers the 1950s as a teenager or adult is as close to death as makes no difference.

Everyone else, who wants to go back does not know what they are going back to.

dymphna17

I think the 50s thing is a mixture of Disneyism, the country was clear of wars, there was still an attitude of victory and an air of superiority, the Great Depression was over and not coming back, business was booming so people weren't starving, everyone had indoor plumbing and electricity, new inventions that made life easier were coming out all the time, and there just wasn't as much perceived suffering as the previous decades.  And nobody wanted to think/worry about suffering.  The Pill and valium made everything wonderful.  Let the apathy ensue.  It was the perfect storm.  Or should I say the quiet before the storm?  The 60s were the storm.

I personally resent the hell out of these people who had what I perceive to be everything set up for the Faith and they let it go.  Had they just paid attention...  Anyway, that's just me.  My Grandparents were these people.  They died holy deaths but they never understood the crisis in the Church.  You just go along to get along and everything will be fine.  I refuse to believe it was naivete.  They were Catholics all their lives and came from a long line of them.  They knew better but refused to see it.  Grrrrr  Anyhoo   :-X :) 8)
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

TPC

Quote from: dymphna17 on June 17, 2015, 04:03:20 PM
I think the 50s thing is a mixture of Disneyism, the country was clear of wars, there was still an attitude of victory and an air of superiority, the Great Depression was over and not coming back, business was booming so people weren't starving, everyone had indoor plumbing and electricity, new inventions that made life easier were coming out all the time, and there just wasn't as much perceived suffering as the previous decades.  And nobody wanted to think/worry about suffering.  The Pill and valium made everything wonderful.  Let the apathy ensue.  It was the perfect storm.  Or should I say the quiet before the storm?  The 60s were the storm.

I personally resent the hell out of these people who had what I perceive to be everything set up for the Faith and they let it go.  Had they just paid attention...  Anyway, that's just me.  My Grandparents were these people.  They died holy deaths but they never understood the crisis in the Church.  You just go along to get along and everything will be fine.  I refuse to believe it was naivete.  They were Catholics all their lives and came from a long line of them.  They knew better but refused to see it.  Grrrrr  Anyhoo   :-X :) 8)

I agree with you (to the underlined). Your grandparents had safety nets without the misdirection and indirection today.

Sheer neglect (to eternal fate) is the big elephant in the room due to life's multitudinous objects vying and demading a claim for our attention. Add in our Fallen Nature, desire for ease, and the Devil, and you have a situation that makes it near impossible to be excused based on true ignorance. Many people leave the path (culpably) because of laziness, don't care, or don't want to deal with what they have to give up/or face (inclusive of those who don't know they're lost and worse...don't want to know).   

Not meant to be a rant even though it sounds like one. Your train of thought was one I connected with.

Lydia Purpuraria

My husband and I have often wondered how it is that so many Catholics just went along with the changes-- why didn't many more put up any kind of fight?

I was speaking with a wonderful lady after Mass Sunday and she said she remembered when the changes first took place and when the priest told them that Mass would no longer be said in Latin, there was a collective gasp and many were upset.  She also said she remembered in school being forced by her teachers to get in the line where the sisters were distributing Communion (she had been taught by her mother to only receive from the priest)... they would actually get in trouble for going against the changes.  Her particular family kept searching until they found priests that still offered the Traditional Mass; but it seems like Catholics were forced to just accept the changes --or else-- and perhaps it went from Catholics that didn't want to be disobedient (but didn't like the changes), to those that are still going to the NO today that in fact have come to "prefer" it to the "old ways."  A tragedy.