Is Luisa Piccarreta's "Kingdom of the Divine Will" Catholic?

Started by Non Nobis, February 28, 2020, 10:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Non Nobis

Xavier promotes this devotion because of the huge quantity of overwhelming pious material it contains. But it is NOT ACCEPTED CATHOLIC TEACHING.  If you read the objections from those who have analyzed it closely it becomes clear that Pope St. Pius X would NOT have approved it if he had read the same material.

Here's an extract from a PM I sent Xavier earlier objecting when he promoted the same thing months earlier.  It seems appropriate to make it public now.

QuoteThe "Divine Will" writing does seem to contain a large quantity of true, pious, beautiful, and inspirational texts, as you have brought together. But that is insufficient for it to be an acceptable Catholic devotion, because it also needs to be free of other writing that is heretical or impious in its audacity.  When such error is blatantly obvious,  it rules out the possibility that it was approved by Saints who really had read the writing in full.

God can work with any quantity of good that is found in a false devotion, but this does not prove that the devotion is true as a whole, or that Satan is not working with any central error that is there.

You can't ignore the controversy, Xavier. Here's a collection of information and links to objections to this devotion: https://sites.google.com/site/antiblasphemycentral/Home/is-luisa-piccarreta-s-kingdom-of-the-divine-will-catholic-1/divin-will-catholic?tmpl=%2Fsystem%2Fapp%2Ftemplates%2Fprint%2F&showPrintDialog=1

I admire you for your intelligence, diligence, ability to express what you know, and especially your devotion. But I disagree with you on this issue as a whole.

Here is another link introducing the matter https://timstaples.com/2019/luisa-piccaretta-and-the-divine-will/.  I don't see how anyone can read what is explained here and conclude that traditional Catholic teaching is being promoted by Luisa Piccaretta.

Sheer quantity of pious writing and numbers and names of people who met and were impressed by holiness can not outweigh teaching that is not Catholic.

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Xavier

Non, Non. :) I want to share one personal experience with the Divine Will Devotion. I was praying for something for a long time without the Divine Will Hours of the Passion prayer, and the Good Lord did not give me the Grace I asked for. Then, after I discovered the Hours of the Passion Treasure, I hardly prayed it for a very short time, and the Good Lord very quickly gave me that Grace I asked for, and which my earlier poor prayers, without being joined to the Hours of the Passion, which are His Own Prayers, He said, could not obtain :)

I'll reply in more detail subsequently, but I wish to say, if something contains "huge quantity of overwhelming pious material", the overwhelmingly probable explanation is that it is good and pious in its origin, and beneficial and useful to souls. And this I will prove from the testimony of a few Saints to begin with; St. Alphonsus writes, ""My heart is ready, O God, my heart is ready." He asked God for one thing alone -- to teach him to do his will: "Teach me to do thy will." A single act of uniformity with the divine will suffices to make a saint. Behold while Saul was persecuting the Church, God enlightened him and converted him.

What does Saul do? What does he say? Nothing else but to offer himself to do God's will: "Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?" In return the Lord calls him a vessel of election and an apostle of the gentiles: "This man is to me a vessel of election, to carry my name before the gentiles."

Absolutely true -- because he who gives his will to God, gives him everything. He who gives his goods in alms, his blood in scourgings, his food in fasting, gives God what he has. But he who gives God his will, gives himself, gives everything he is. Such a one can say: "Though I am poor, Lord, I give thee all I possess; but when I say I give thee my will, I have nothing left to give thee." This is just what God does require of us: "My son, give me thy heart." St. Augustine's comment is: "There is nothing more pleasing we can offer God than to say to him: 'Possess thyself of us'.'' We cannot offer God anything more pleasing than to say: Take us, Lord, we give thee our entire will. Only let us know thy will and we will carry it out. If we would completely rejoice the heart of God, let us strive in all things to conform ourselves to his divine will. Let us not only strive to conform ourselves, but also to unite ourselves to whatever dispositions God makes of us. Conformity signifies that we join our wills to the will of God. Uniformity means more -- it means that we make one will of God's will and ours, so that we will only what God wills; that God's will alone, is our will. This is the summit of perfection and to it we should always aspire; this should be the goal of all our works, desires, meditations and prayers. To this end we should always invoke the aid of our holy patrons, our guardian angels, and above all, of our mother Mary, the most perfect of all the saints because she most perfectly embraced the divine will." https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/library/uniformity-with-gods-will-12644

And, "He who desires", says St. Bonaventure, "to go on advancing from virtue to virtue, from grace to grace, should meditate continually on the Passion of Jesus." And he adds that "there is no practice more profitable for the entire sanctification of the soul than the frequent meditation of the sufferings of Jesus Christ." St. Augustine also said that a single tear shed at the remembrance of the Passion of Jesus is worth more than a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, or a year of fasting on bread and water." And St. Louis Marie de Montfort,"St. Augustine assures us that there is no spiritual exercise more fruitful or more useful than the frequent reflection on the sufferings of our Lord. Blessed Albert the Great, who had St. Thomas Aquinas as his student, learned in a revelation that by simply thinking of or meditating on the passion of Jesus Christ, a Christian gains more merit than if he had fasted on bread and water every Friday for a year, or had beaten himself with the discipline once a week till blood flowed, or had recited the whole Book of Psalms every day".

Now, these Two Catholic Doctrines of the great Doctors and the Saints, on the Divine Will and on Meditating on the Passion, afford two powerful proofs of the supernatural origin of the revelations made to Servant of God Luisa Piccarretta. Besides the many approvals from Popes and Saints, and Pope Saints, like Pope St. Pius X, St. Hannibal Francis De Maria, St. Padre Pio, His Eminence Cardinal Ratzinger while head of the CDF/Holy Office, later Pope Benedict XVI as we know, etc, I wish to ask, (1) If surrender to the Divine Will is so good and holy a thing that a single act of it can sometimes suffice to make a saint, as said above, is it even remotely conceivable or supposedly possible that the devil is going around teaching souls that the best thing they can do is conform and unite their wills to the Holy Will of God? That would be among the greatest of all absurdities, like Satan casting out Satan, as we read in the Gospel; and Servant of God Luisa Piccarreta not only knew it but lived it too. Confined to a sickbed, this Saintly Victim Soul praised by another Saintly Victim Soul St. Padre Pio the greta, who said of her (Luisa will be everywhere; the Third Millenium will be full of her light), lived in Absolute Conformity and Perfect Conformity to the Divine Will in her terrible sufferings. She even received the stigmata, and in my opinion is a Very Great and hitherto hidden Saint; please see Mystics of the Church website for her biography (2) If MEDITATION ON THE PASSION is so great a thing that A SINGLE MOMENT OF IT is more precious, priceless and meritorious than a year's worth of fasting on bread and water without it, then how great a spiritual good is it, I ask, to MEDITATION CONSTANTLY 24/7/365, Hour by Hour, Day by Day, Year by Year, on the Hours of the Passion of the Lord's Life? You have to admit, it is among the greatest spiritual goods there are, and a sure road to the greatest merit and the highest perfection. It is what Saintly Thomas Kempis called "the Royal Road of the Holy Cross". Few things are so universally accessible yet so constantly necessary as surrender to the Divine Will and Meditation on the Passion. Few things are more meritorious for us, Non Nobis, and more profitable for our soul. Would the devil do that? God Bless You.

"Her daily life

Luisa lived in the strictest poverty, on a small income derived from lace making, which she carried out while sitting up in her bed during the day. Although she wished to live in obscurity, people of all ranks, from the humblest peasants to high-ranking prelates of the church visited her, seeking spiritual advice or consolation.

Luisa never left her bed of suffering and remained sitting in the same position for 64 consecutive years, not counting the first six years when she was often bedridden. Remarkably, she never contracted any bedsores which are normally inevitable for those bedridden.

In the morning Luisa would be found immobile and immovable, huddled in her bed, stiff as though petrified, to the extent that no one could manage to move her, until her confessor or any other priest would come in prayer to bless her; only then would Luisa be able to move and be released. So her sister Angelina and faithful Rosaria would place her again in her usual sitting position, while the priest would begin Holy Mass on a movable altar which was in her room. With the permission of Pope Leo XIII, renewed later by Pope St. Pius X, Mass was allowed to be offered in her bedroom daily. Luisa participated in the Mass with great devotion; she received Communion every day, and then remained in meditation for about two hours. Afterwards, she would begin her work of "tombolo" (Italian lace sewing)." http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/2010/08/servant-of-god-luisa-piccarreta-little.html

Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Prayerful

Luisa's official biography has been published by Libreria Editrice Vaticana, which suggests some official patronage, which must make one wary.

Having read the link in which this movement posits that the Pater Noster predicts an 'Era of Sanctification,' a very much novel reading. It seems to be somewhat like the Divine Mercy devotion with special, privileged revelations from Christ to a nun, and it seems to have some characteristics of the error of Quietism.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.