For Tolkien Fans: Beren and Luthien

Started by Jacob, May 11, 2017, 09:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Before The Lord of the Rings, there was... The First Age!  With Elves and Men striving against the Morgoth!

There were three tales Tolkien saw as being central, the tale of the Man Hurin and his children, the tale of the Man Beren and the Elf-princess Luthien, and the Fall of the Elf-city Gondolin.  The professor intended to write for each one a long-form narrative, but like so much else, he just never finished what he started.

Out of the materials left by his father, the son Chris pulled together a cohesive, if unpolished, narrative for the tale of Hurin which was well received.

Now this June will be released another book doing the same for Beren and Luthien.  Is anyone else looking forward to this?  I know I am. The first book of this project, the Hurin book, was excellent.  Very dark and edgy.  I doubt Beren and Luthien will have the same tone as theirs is a love story, but it ought to be a good read for those who enjoy Middle-earth.
"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Pheo

Jacob, you're pretty good at spending my money.  I bought the History of Middle Earth 3-vol set because of you :lol:
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Pheo

Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

Jacob

Quote from: Pheo on May 11, 2017, 04:27:06 PM
Jacob, you're pretty good at spending my money.  I bought the History of Middle Earth 3-vol set because of you :lol:

Oooh, which ones are those?  The titles, not the whole set.  I have a few of those, but not all.

"Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time."
--Neal Stephenson

Pheo

Oh it has all 12 volumes in it, just in three big awesome books.

Jacob

Quote from: Pheo on May 11, 2017, 06:01:25 PM
Oh it has all 12 volumes in it, just in three big awesome books.

Really?  Wow!  I have a whole mishmash of paperbacks and hardcovers as well as a few gaps.  Putting all those aside in favor of three volumes would be great.  But they must be huge!?
--Neal Stephenson

Pheo

Yeah they're pretty big, but not unmanageable.  Here they are next to my Tolkien Reader: