Why is this place so toxic?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 23, 2021, 04:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonaventure

Quote from: Maximilian on December 23, 2021, 08:46:56 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 23, 2021, 04:18:14 PMThis is a forum geared for adults who are typically self-selected as traditional Catholics. 

This is a valid question. Why do traditional Catholic adults revert to schoolyard behavior whenever they don't have someone moderating them?

I'll have to give this some more thought, but here are some possible answers:

1. Authority. Catholics have always needed someone to stomp on them. Any parish where the pastor does not exercise god-like authority will quickly degenerate into anarchy.

2. Human nature. Traditional Catholics are just as human as others. As Mel Gibson said, "I'm a man like other men."

3. The nature of the situation. We live in crazy times. There are no clear solutions to any of our dilemmas. It's inevitable that people will be unable to reach any consensus. "When the shepherd is struck, the sheep will scatter."

4. Lack of virtue. Traditional Catholics are focused on opinions rather than focusing on the development of their souls.

I compare it to guys who spend a lot of time arguing about whose book about weightlifting is better, although neither one of them ever picks up an actual barbell. The arguments will inevitably become contentious, whereas if they were actually in a gym they could settle it right away.

This is a very good post that ought to be stickied.

I can say that I let the forum owner and community down, since my second stint as a moderator.

I will do better.

Please remember me in your intentions. Know that at every Mass I attend I remember the intentions of all who are a part of this forum.
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."

Bonaventure

Quote from: Vetus Ordo on December 23, 2021, 07:06:26 PM
Quote from: Kaesekopf on December 23, 2021, 04:18:14 PMHere's a rather open-ended question for anyone reading and active in this forum. 

Why is this place so toxic (I don't like this word because someone's previous usage of it left a bad taste in my mouth :lol: but it's the only one that I think fits)?  Why is everyone jumping down everyone's neck left and right?

Don't give me the cop out that it's because I haven't moderated this place.  This is a forum geared for adults who are typically self-selected as traditional Catholics. 

And yet the bickering and fighting and pot-shotting and everything that goes on persists and only amplifies.  I get it, I'm getting a taste of my own medicine from when I posted at FishEaters.  But, in my defense, I was a 20-something idiot, and that was a decade ago! 

So, what do you think?

I was just stopping by to wish everyone a merry Christmas and what a present I find! You're seriously asking what the problem is here while pre-emptively excluding the obvious answer?

A few months ago, you allowed Fleur to be slandered in the worst possible way and refused to take any action against the perpetrators. I haven't forgotten that. Now that you're married, give a moment's thought to how egregious that débacle was.

I do not understand the criticism.

He is indeed married. I personally witnessed wedding vows within a valid Catholic wedding, a magnificent solemn high nuptial Mass.

Can the same be said for you?
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."