Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Prayerful on April 11, 2017, 01:56:26 PM
Got this this Missal dedicated to Our Lady of France and St Joan of Arc for little enough. Small pocket sized missals are hard enough to find these days, Baronius or Angelus Press missals are great, but big, while iMass means using an electronic screen one hopes to have little break from.

At this point, I want to just print my own daily missal.  Something pocket-sized, with a certain set of devotions (particular to me), and pretty much nothing else.

Wonder what that would take...
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

iMass means using an electronic screen one hopes to have little break from.
This is why I'm reformatting Fr. Lasance's Prayer Book for Religious (courtesy of archive.org), to make it kindle-friendly. No backlight that way.  :thumbsup: I'm on my second read-through, checking for errors.
My Lord and my God.

Kaesekopf

Quote from: Bernadette on April 11, 2017, 02:53:23 PM
This is why I'm reformatting Fr. Lasance's Prayer Book for Religious (courtesy of archive.org), to make it kindle-friendly. No backlight that way.  :thumbsup: I'm on my second read-through, checking for errors.

post it here when done
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Bernadette

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 11, 2017, 02:56:13 PM
Quote from: Bernadette on April 11, 2017, 02:53:23 PM

post it here when done
I'll certainly consider it. :)
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 11, 2017, 02:37:58 PM
Got this this Missal dedicated to Our Lady of France and St Joan of Arc for little enough. Small pocket sized missals are hard enough to find these days, Baronius or Angelus Press missals are great, but big, while iMass means using an electronic screen one hopes to have little break from.

At this point, I want to just print my own daily missal.  Something pocket-sized, with a certain set of devotions (particular to me), and pretty much nothing else.

Go on Ebay, and if you take a look you can find something small and inexpensive. I was given a few different small missals by a retired man and fellow Legionary who feared his children will toss them all away when he passes on. Most are Sunday missals but a near small enough 1935 Roman Missal: Liturgy for Layfolks (that was bought myself, but is of the size) is a bit bare (eg no prayers after Mass, and nothing extravagent, earlier version of the Missal my Mam used without issue till 1969/70). A nice small prayerbook is the Keys of Heaven, which is a small devotional manual with the approbation, as usual for anything Belgian published of the 50s and 60s, of the charismatic +LJ Suenens, author of a fine Life of Ven Edel Quinn. Some claim he was a Freemason, but I'm dubious of the evidence. It has only the ordinary with more emphasis on prayers to say through the Mass. It is in large font. A small daily Missal would need tiny font, c. less than point 10.

Not sure.

@Bernadette I notice some young lady who uses something like that at Mass. However, I haven't found anything satisfactory for Kindle so far. I might pull down something from Archive.org or wherever and make it good for Kindle. iMass with a Kindle screen would be more than adequate, but your thing sounds very useful indeed.

I want a Continuous Daily Missal: Liturgy for the Lazy.  8)
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

MundaCorMeum

Quote from: Kaesekopf on April 11, 2017, 02:37:58 PM

Nevermind....

Prayerful

An altar Missal under the approbation of Etienne-Charles de Loménie de Brienne variously aristocrat, priest, Vicar-General, bishop, archbishop, politician bon vivant, Minister for Finance, Cardinal, apostate and suicide (that said, for whatever reason +Loménie de Brienne is named as Stephane-Charles not Etienne-Charles, perhaps some sort of name in religion, but Etienne-Charles and Stephane-Charles seem to be the same prelate). Dated 1774 from his time as Archbishop of Toulouse. The ordinary and canon seem no different, the overall organisation is that of a Roman Missal, but propers seem fairly different, presumably a Use of Toulouse, but I haven't looked too thoroughly. Warily looking through it.

This politician hoped to navigate the Revolution with a mix of vast wealth and political skill, swearing to uphold the condemned Civil Constitution of the Clergy, resigning his Cardinalate after Pius VI condemned his lack of loyalty to the Faith, but not even apostasy saved his life, being found dead one day after.

Google Books scan of the same book.

Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

I have invested in a few cameras lately. A Nikon D3300 with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 35mm f/1.8, then a fully manual Chinon SLR and a Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.7, an old Kodak model 66 mk. II, and my favourite of all of them, a Yashica Mat EM 80mm f/3.5 TLR.

This one is the Yashica:

"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

Lynne

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 29, 2017, 07:36:08 PM
Did you gpto Catholic school,kaeae?  I have heard that they are very heavy handed with the penmanship in the younger grades.  Palmer method etc

Excuse me for jumping in but my husband and daughter went to parochial schools and both of their handwritings are atrocious!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

It's not real silk, but it's so gorgeous that I don't care. Plus, it wasn't the price of real silk, so there's that going for it. And I'll probably feel more comfortable practicing with a lighter weight one, anyway.

;D
My Lord and my God.

LouisIX

Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on April 21, 2017, 10:45:49 PM
I have invested in a few cameras lately. A Nikon D3300 with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 35mm f/1.8, then a fully manual Chinon SLR and a Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.7, an old Kodak model 66 mk. II, and my favourite of all of them, a Yashica Mat EM 80mm f/3.5 TLR.

This one is the Yashica:

Beautiful camera. I would love if you would post some pictures that you take with it.
IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

Irenaeus G. Saintonge

Quote from: LouisIX on April 22, 2017, 04:40:54 PM
Quote from: Irenaeus G. Saintonge on April 21, 2017, 10:45:49 PM

This one is the Yashica:

Beautiful camera. I would love if you would post some pictures that you take with it.
I will do so when I can. It takes some time because I have to develop them, then scan the ones worth keeping. I do not have a scanner that would do an acceptable job, so that means sending the negatives elsewhere
"This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. "
Jn:21:24

????????????

tradne4163

I receently bought a 1955 Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It has the Pian psalter, which is a bit awkward in some spots, but fine. It notably has the phrase Concordat cum originali at one of the front pages, meaning it was useable for those bound to recite the Little Office. Very neat find.
Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Take any post I write with a grain of salt. I've been wrong before, and can be again

Bernadette

A Kleen Kantee, with a sport top, after breaking yet another clumsily designed plastic waterbottle by dropping it on a tiled floor. It broke in exactly the same place as the first one. Think I've discovered that bottle's weak spot.  :P Anyway, the Kleen Kanteen was less than the price of those two bottles combined, since I bought it on Ebay. Yay!  ;D And its color (turquoise) isn't hideous, so that's a plus.
My Lord and my God.

Jacafamala

I bought a new serger. Ain't it grand? I'm having a peach of a time.

"I shall die with weapons in my hands."
-St Therese of Lisieux