Bought anything interesting lately?

Started by Kaesekopf, December 30, 2012, 10:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piabee

Yes but, it dings up the dishes to scrape them so hard. I <3 my garbage disposal. I would give up the dishwasher first.

The Curt Jester

Quote from: piabee on February 25, 2015, 07:30:36 PM
Yes but, it dings up the dishes to scrape them so hard. I <3 my garbage disposal. I would give up the dishwasher first.

If you wipe down plates and dishes immediately after use, there is no dinging.  You could wipe it with a paper towel and still have it look fairly clean without rinsing.  It's only when dishes sit in a heap for awhile that the food begins to crust on them and then you HAVE to scrub them hard.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

piabee

I scrape them into the trash with a fork after use, when necessary. And there's not usually much, just the big chunks and bones and things.

I'm only on my third roll of paper towels in barely as many years in this apartment.

moneil

So, I've mentioned before one of my fav bookstores https://www.facebook.com/brusedbooks.  I've been planning / wanting to get there this past week for their 20% off everything sale, but got there just yesterday on the last day of the sale, with just twenty minutes to shop.

"Steadman's Medical Dictionary, 27th Edition", with a "Veterinary Medicine Insert" (rather appropriate sine I work with cows).
"The New Seed-Starters Handbook" by Nancy Bubel (rather appropriate since I'm thinking of going into a fresh veggie growing venture).
"How to Grow Orchids At Home" by Paul an Diola Snell (don't own any, never have grown or cared for one, but yeah, orchids are cool).

Spent $3.44 for the whole lot.

Bernadette

My own kimono! $10, 100% silk. I'm going to learn how to put one on by myself- something that only my grandma was able to do. I'd hate for the skill to be lost.
My Lord and my God.

piabee

MilesChristi

Chateneuf du Pape. Still haven't opened it. Will crack it open with my friend in England.
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Gardener

A few interesting things!

"free":

1) (Found) a jar of creamy peanut butter in the gutter when dropping mail in the letter collection box. I opened the lid and it was still sealed. I'm guessing someone dropped it while carrying home their groceries.

At local megathrift today:

1) Epiphone SG (model G-400). Thursday is their "member club" day, so it was 25% off. Marked price was $70, so $52.50 out the door. Serial number indicates 1992 manufacture in South Korea. According to information found, this period of time saw guitars coming out of Korea which rivaled the Gibson USA offerings -- YMMV. Seem to be going for 150-300 online. Buddy said I should sell it and make a profit -- no thanks!

Here's a pic.

"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

james03

Champion juicer.  It's a beast.  I needed something that could handle heavy duty work, and it performs.  I have to juice 5 lbs. of carrots a day for my wife.  I hear it is not as good for greens and leafy stuff.  Haven't tried.  It kicks butt on carrots.  Horse likes the pulp.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Kaesekopf

That's a lot of carrots.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Chestertonian

Quote from: Gardener on May 08, 2015, 02:25:44 AM
A few interesting things!

"free":

1) (Found) a jar of creamy peanut butter in the gutter when dropping mail in the letter collection box. I opened the lid and it was still sealed. I'm guessing someone dropped it while carrying home their groceries.

At local megathrift today:

1) Epiphone SG (model G-400). Thursday is their "member club" day, so it was 25% off. Marked price was $70, so $52.50 out the door. Serial number indicates 1992 manufacture in South Korea. According to information found, this period of time saw guitars coming out of Korea which rivaled the Gibson USA offerings -- YMMV. Seem to be going for 150-300 online. Buddy said I should sell it and make a profit -- no thanks!

Here's a pic.

nice!!
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Basilios

That's a great guitar. I used to have an Epiphone SG in the same colour. Best guitar I ever owned, they're good value for money for what you get (most of the time).
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips. Incline not my heart to evil words.

Bernadette

A little wooden "sewing egg." Not to be confused with a "darning egg." This one is hollow inside to hold small sewing supplies for sewing on-the-go.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/221877546/antique-wooden-sewing-kit-egg-shaped?ref=hp_mod_rf

Perfect for thread (obviously, with the little turned thread-winder), thimble, needlecase, and a little folding set of scissors. I had considered making a little "housewife," but I like this much better.  :)
My Lord and my God.

Pheo

Quote from: james03 on May 08, 2015, 06:19:06 AM
Champion juicer.  It's a beast.  I needed something that could handle heavy duty work, and it performs.  I have to juice 5 lbs. of carrots a day for my wife.  I hear it is not as good for greens and leafy stuff.  Haven't tried.  It kicks butt on carrots.  Horse likes the pulp.

Nice, those things last forever.  You can actually get a greens attachment for the Champion, but I think it's designed specifically for wheatgrass.  Would probably do a decent job on other greens, but you're right - you really need a slow single/double auger style system to get a decent yield with greens.
Son, when thou comest to the service of God, stand in justice and in fear, and prepare thy soul for temptation.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: Bernadette on May 08, 2015, 10:35:35 AM
A little wooden "sewing egg." Not to be confused with a "darning egg." This one is carved out of wood, and is hollow inside to hold small sewing supplies for sewing on-the-go.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/221877546/antique-wooden-sewing-kit-egg-shaped?ref=hp_mod_rf

Perfect for thread (obviously, with the little turned thread-winder), thimble, needlecase, and a little folding set of scissors. I had considered making a little "housewife," but I like this much better.  :)

That is really nice.  The wood is beautiful.
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace