What are you currently reading?

Started by Francisco Suárez, December 26, 2012, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MilesChristi

Quote from: Michael Wilson on January 19, 2019, 04:51:23 PM
I keep being amazed at the number of books (and serious ones) that Miles Christi reads.
This whole thread would only be a couple of pages shorter, if we eliminated every other post that is not his.

LOL I always feel like I've been catching up
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
    It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
    It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
    And all is seared with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
    And wears man's smudge and shares man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
    There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
    Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs —
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.

Mono no aware

Quote from: MilesChristi on January 20, 2019, 07:08:34 PMI'm reading them all in Spanish.

That's fortunate.  I wish I could read such a great writer in the language in which he originally composed.  He sometimes referred to his stories as "poems," and that designation doesn't seem wrong, as he appears to have devoted so much care and attention to his wording and economy.  Precision and brevity, but at the same time depth and richness.

red solo cup

Rome in the Dark Ages by Peter Llewellyn
non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bernadette

Life with Father, by Clarence Day.
My Lord and my God.

MilesChristi

Christianity and the Crisis of Cultures

MilesChristi

Prayerful

A pair of books on the European volunteers in the Waffen-SS, Charlemagne, Tony Le Tissier, and We will not go up the Tuapse, Fernand Kaisergruber. The first is a general history on a well known, though small, French volunteer force, while the second is the account of a Walloonian volunteer in one of the Belgian WW-SS formations. The translator tries to capture the author's immediate style. I had been reading Kaveh Farrokh's The Sassianians which is hefty and details account of this Iranian empire which faced Rome, almost destroying the Eastern Roman Empire only itself to be swallowed by the Mohammadan tide.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Christina_S

The Cold Hard Truth on Family, Kids, and Money by Kevin O'Leary. So far I've seen that he has a poor understanding of what makes a marriage, and his perspective is limited to the area of finances.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out the blog that I run with my husband! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/
Latest posts: Why "Be Yourself" is Bad Advice
Fascination with Novelty
The Wedding Garment of Faith

rosenley

"And I live, now not I; but Christ liveth in me. And that I live now in the flesh: I live in the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

"Give them according to their works, and according to the wickedness of their inventions. According to the works of their hands give thou to them: render to them their reward." (Psalm 27:4)

"A man has free choice to the extent that he is rational."
"It is proper for man to be inclined to act according to reason."
"Human salvation demands the divine disclosure of truths surpassing reason."
"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas

Josephine87

Quote from: Prayerful on January 25, 2019, 06:55:13 PM
A pair of books on the European volunteers in the Waffen-SS, Charlemagne, Tony Le Tissier, and We will not go up the Tuapse, Fernand Kaisergruber. The first is a general history on a well known, though small, French volunteer force, while the second is the account of a Walloonian volunteer in one of the Belgian WW-SS formations. The translator tries to capture the author's immediate style. I had been reading Kaveh Farrokh's The Sassianians which is hefty and details account of this Iranian empire which faced Rome, almost destroying the Eastern Roman Empire only itself to be swallowed by the Mohammadan tide.

What are the names of those two first books? . Never mind, I thought that was a list of books, but those are the names of the books, lol.
"Begin again." -St. Teresa of Avila

"My present trial seems to me a somewhat painful one, and I have the humiliation of knowing how badly I bore it at first. I now want to accept and to carry this little cross joyfully, to carry it silently, with a smile in my heart and on my lips, in union with the Cross of Christ. My God, blessed be Thou; accept from me each day the embarrassment, inconvenience, and pain this misery causes me. May it become a prayer and an act of reparation." -Elisabeth Leseur

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Heinrich

Quote from: red solo cup on February 09, 2019, 05:43:46 AM
Bismarck by Edward Crankshaw.

Junker. Guy was a partier in his younger days, eh? Have you gotten to the point in his life when he realized that time was up: time to study. He bought tutored almost non stop for a few weeks, passed the bar.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

MilesChristi

Los Funerales de la Mama Grande
A Listener's History of Music

Michael Wilson

"Heaven Open To Souls" by Rev. Henry Churchill Semple S.J.

HEAVEN OPEN TO SOULS. Love for God above All Things and Perfect Contrition Easy and Common in Souls resolved to avoid Mortal Sin. By the Rev. Henry Churchill Semple, S.J., Moderator of the Theological Conferences of the Archdiocese of New York, Chaplain of Fordham University, Benziger Brothers: New York. 1916. Pp.567.

One of the most practical aids to solid piety that have in recent times been spread among the faithful is the tiny booklet, consisting of just thirty-one pages, bearing the title Perfect Contrition: "A Golden Key to Heaven," written by Fr. Von den Driesch, S.J., translated by Fr. Slater, S.J., and introduced by Fr. Lehmkuhl, S.J. The illustrious names of its sponsors are a guarantee of the solidity of its doctrine; while the affiliation of those sponsors with a Society that has always been identified with a sanely human and therefore a truly divine devotional spirit, may be taken as a pledge of its Catholic sanity. In the volume at hand Fr. Semple of the same Society gives us in extenso what his confrere had done in miniature; that is, he develops at considerable length the Scriptural, Patristic, theological, as well as the rational, grounds upon which the doctrine that supreme love of God and consequently perfect contrition are relatively easy for all souls who are determined to shun mortal sin.

The author acquaints his reader at the start with the fact that the propositions heading the various chapters have each been the subject of a paper discussed at a theological conference over which he presided as moderator; also, that the suggestion to publish the papers in book-form emanated from Cardinal Farley who was present at the said conferences. The fact therefore that the material was originally given forth orally, may explain the somewhat diffuse and discursive style. The work would certainly have gained somewhat by greater condensation. At the same time the feature of expansiveness favors another purpose for which the book is peculiarly adapted. We read that Cardinal Franzelin was wont to say that, could he preach throughout all the world, he would speak of nothing so much as of perfect contrition. The desire of the eminent theologian might well be assimilated and reduced to act by the clergy generally. The relative easiness of perfect love and contrition is perhaps not often enough heard of from the pulpit. Reasons for this are sufficiently obvious. The present volume is so rich in material that a priest could hardly find a more helpful source of suggestive sermons and instructions on so important a topic. Aside therefore from its practical value as spiritual reading, the volume makes a most helpful aid to the ministry of the word.
Fantastic and very spiritually uplifting as well as consoling. I am now on page 311 of this 500 pg. Book. I have recommended it to friends and family as well as a couple of our posters here. Easy to read, not in technical or philosophic language. Five Stars.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Non Nobis

Quote from: Michael Wilson on February 09, 2019, 06:00:36 PM
"Heaven Open To Souls" by Rev. Henry Churchill Semple S.J.
Fantastic and very spiritually uplifting as well as consoling. I am now on page 311 of this 500 pg. Book. I have recommended it to friends and family as well as a couple of our posters here. Easy to read, not in technical or philosophic language. Five Stars.

Sounds wonderful. I need to read more!
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!