Practicing Catholicism :Sermons and Talks Videos Thread

Started by Acolyte, October 06, 2022, 07:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynne

Here's a link to a great sermon by Father Wolfe (from Father Nix's website), How To Assist Someone in Making an Act of Perfect Contrition

Under all these continued lockdowns, I believe the below video might be the most underrated thing on YouTube.  It's Fr. Philip Wolfe FSSP describing how to assist someone in making an act of perfect contrition.  Most people would find it quite a show-stopper to learn that the Catholic Church teaches that a person dying in original sin (like a Muslim or Jew) or a person in mortal sin (like a Catholic who has not been to confession in a decade) can still be saved by God with only a layman at his deathbed!   It is so important as more priests and sacraments are cancelled and as hospitals double-down on vaccine-status against family members and active priests to watch this short video on how to guide anyone (including yourself) through making an act of perfect contrition in one's heart and with one's lips.

Fr. Wolfe maintains it is not as difficult to make an act of perfect contrition as one might think.  And whereas you must go to confession before Holy Communion if you were in mortal sin and still live, perfect contrition before God (even without a priest) can bring you into sanctifying grace.    Under these continued lockdowns and cancelled sacraments, I know of no more important video or podcast to donate 15 of your minutes to this weekend than this...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Bernadette

It's a shame Romans10Seventeen shut down. There were loads of sermons on there. I think the collection can still be found somewhere online.
My Lord and my God.

Lynne

Quote from: Bernadette on October 22, 2022, 05:34:55 AM
It's a shame Romans10Seventeen shut down. There were loads of sermons on there. I think the collection can still be found somewhere online.

I think it morphed into AudioSancto which got absorbed by SensusFidelium?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Acolyte

Well, I'd imagine most long time trads have heard of St Leonard of Port Maurice's sermon on the fewness of those saved.

Thanks to @Stubborn for posting this sermon on another forum. It's one of Fr Bitzer's sermons. He was ordained by Archbishop Lefebvre.

Anyhow, if this doesn't get us to up our game I'm not sure what will. Actually two sermons on one video.

Mathew 7:14 "How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that find it!"
"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"
Leviticus 26:17

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."
Fr. Lawrence Daniel Carney III

Acolyte

"From the moment we awake in the morning, let us pray continually in the words of holy David: Turn away my eyes, that they may not behold vanity"
St Alphonsus

"I will set my face against you, and you shall fall down before your enemies, and shall be made subject to them that hate you, you shall flee when no man pursueth you"

"Behold, O God our protector : and look upon the face of Thy Christ" (Ps. 79:20) Here is devotion to the face of Jesus Christ as prophesized by David."

Acolyte

St Alphonsus

Acolyte

Some of us may not want to hear it, but I sure as heck needed to hear it.

St Alphonsus

Lynne

A wonderful sermon by Father Ripperger on the virtue of humility

Elizabeth

Quote from: Lynne on October 22, 2022, 05:30:16 AM
Here's a link to a great sermon by Father Wolfe (from Father Nix's website), How To Assist Someone in Making an Act of Perfect Contrition

Under all these continued lockdowns, I believe the below video might be the most underrated thing on YouTube.  It's Fr. Philip Wolfe FSSP describing how to assist someone in making an act of perfect contrition.  Most people would find it quite a show-stopper to learn that the Catholic Church teaches that a person dying in original sin (like a Muslim or Jew) or a person in mortal sin (like a Catholic who has not been to confession in a decade) can still be saved by God with only a layman at his deathbed!   It is so important as more priests and sacraments are cancelled and as hospitals double-down on vaccine-status against family members and active priests to watch this short video on how to guide anyone (including yourself) through making an act of perfect contrition in one's heart and with one's lips.

Fr. Wolfe maintains it is not as difficult to make an act of perfect contrition as one might think.  And whereas you must go to confession before Holy Communion if you were in mortal sin and still live, perfect contrition before God (even without a priest) can bring you into sanctifying grace.    Under these continued lockdowns and cancelled sacraments, I know of no more important video or podcast to donate 15 of your minutes to this weekend than this...
. YOU FOUND IT!!!
I heard this late at night a few years ago, lost laptop, etc.  Absolutely a must to listen to, but of course I could never find it again.  :toth:

Instaurare omnia

Here is one of those short videos from Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, a religious order I described back in my Reply #2. It may be helpful for recent reverts and converts and to share with loved ones for whose conversion/reversion we pray.

How to fear the Lord: Fr. Columba Jordan (7:05)
[yt][/yt]
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).

Instaurare omnia

Another one from Fr. Columba Jordan CFR: The Secret to Self-Control and Accepting the Unchangeable (7:30), a basic clarification or reminder for moments of doubt and for those living among others whose faith commitment may not be so strong [yet]:

[yt][/yt]
Nisi Dominus custodierit civitatem, frustra vigilat qui custodit eam (Psalm 126:2).
Benedicite, montes et colles, Domino: benedicite universa germinantia in terra, Domino (Daniel 3:75-76).
Put not your trust in princes: In the children of men, in whom there is no salvation (Psalm 145:2-3).

Instaurare omnia

And a third from Fr. Columba Jordan CFR; ditto my comments on the last two posts: How Not to Be Conformed to This Age (8:08):

[yt]

[/yt]

Justin Martyr

The least departure from Tradition leads to a scorning of every dogma of the Faith.
St. Photios the Great, Encyclical to the Eastern Patriarchs

CANON I: As for all persons who dare to violate the definition of the holy and great Synod convened in Nicaea in the presence of Eusebeia, the consort of the most God-beloved Emperor Constantine, concerning the holy festival of the soterial Pascha, we decree that they be excluded from Communion and be outcasts from the Church if they persist more captiously in objecting to the decisions that have been made as most fitting in regard thereto; and let these things be said with reference to laymen. But if any of the person occupying prominent positions in the Church, such as a Bishop, or a Presbyter, or a Deacon, after the adoption of this definition, should dare to insist upon having his own way, to the perversion of the laity, and to the disturbance of the church, and upon celebrating Pascha along with the Jews, the holy Synod has hence judged that person to be an alien to the Church, on the ground that he has not only become guilty of sin by himself, but has also been the cause of corruption and perversion among the multitude. Accordingly, it not only deposes such persons from the liturgy, but also those who dare to commune with them after their deposition. Moreover, those who have been deposed are to be deprived of the external honor too of which the holy Canon and God's priesthood have partaken.
The Council of Antioch 341, recieved by the Council of Chalcedon

Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Instaurare omnia

Lynne