Good Morning!!

Started by Carleendiane, September 22, 2016, 06:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dymphna17

Good morning Bernadette and everyone else!  I, too, am up.  Sweet picture Bernadette.  It's raining "axeheads and hammer handles outside"?  There's one I've never heard before.  2 questions, 1) is this what you always say?  Like most people say that it's raining cats and dogs?  2) Why do we say that it's raining *insert colloquialism here* outside?  Has it ever rained inside?  Rained on the side?  A brain, my brain, needs to know these things.  It's raining here as well. This storm system is a very strange one in that it is swirling in a counter-clockwise fashion.  Interesting if nothing else.  Here's to an awesome, interesting day!  :cheeseheadbeer:
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

Bernadette

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 25, 2017, 06:59:02 AM
Good morning Bernadette and everyone else!  I, too, am up.  Sweet picture Bernadette.
:toth:

QuoteIt's raining "axeheads and hammer handles outside"?  There's one I've never heard before.  2 questions, 1) is this what you always say?  Like most people say that it's raining cats and dogs?
:lol: No. I came across it via reading, and every so often I like to change up my expressions. I like lots of...variety, in my language usage. ;)

Quote2) Why do we say that it's raining *insert colloquialism here* outside?  Has it ever rained inside?  Rained on the side?  A brain, my brain, needs to know these things.
I think it just adds a level of completeness to the thought. Rounds it off nicely, if you will. :)

QuoteHere's to an awesome, interesting day!  :cheeseheadbeer:
But not too interesting, like that Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times." No lightning. Please, no.  :pray3:
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

I love axe heads and hammer handles. It is much more dramatic than cats and dogs. Hope you get to Mass, bird.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Carleendiane

ORATE!!!!!! Pic please! I am now taking you for granted I think. Sorry. Not. Am.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Bernadette

Quote from: Carleendiane on March 25, 2017, 07:36:54 AM
I love axe heads and hammer handles. It is much more dramatic than cats and dogs. Hope you get to Mass, bird.
There's no Mass, since the priest has to say a Vigil Mass somewhere else on Saturdays; this is for confession/direction. My priest probably considers it his monthly penance!  :madsmiley: :lol:
My Lord and my God.

dymphna17

You hate lightening too?  I agree, lightening has always freaked me out.  I like it if it is heat lightening, or the kind that is far, far away.  But that's it.

Love your variety in language!

Quote2) Why do we say that it's raining *insert colloquialism here* outside?  Has it ever rained inside?  Rained on the side?  A brain, my brain, needs to know these things.

I think it just adds a level of completeness to the thought. Rounds it off nicely, if you will. :) 
While I don't like it and find it irritating, it really does need to be said that way to complete the saying.

Hoping for an interesting, in a good way, day!   
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

orate

I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Bernadette

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 25, 2017, 07:50:17 AM
You hate lightening too?  I agree, lightening has always freaked me out.  I like it if it is heat lightening, or the kind that is far, far away.  But that's it.
Oh, yes: I hate loud, sudden noises; and I always fear that the lightning is going to find and hit me.

QuoteLove your variety in language!
I consider language to be the perfect "toy": endlessly amusing and fascinating. ;)

QuoteI think it just adds a level of completeness to the thought. Rounds it off nicely, if you will. :) 
While I don't like it and find it irritating, it really does need to be said that way to complete the saying.
:lol: like those poor people who can't hear certain songs or jingles without feeling compelled to finish them.

QuoteHoping for an interesting, in a good way, day!
Back atcha!  :beer:
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

I like lightning, so I must be more brave than you two  8)

Bernadette

Quote from: Carleendiane on March 25, 2017, 07:59:33 AM
Discretion is the better part of valor.  :hide:
My Lord and my God.

Bernadette

Quote from: orate on March 25, 2017, 07:55:00 AM

The thing about Gene Wilder's performance as Willy Wonka, is that he so thoroughly gives the impression of complete candor that if he asked me to tell him all about my daily minutiae I'd think he was serious, and just do it, no questions asked.  :lol:

I just love that performance. Think I need to go and watch the movie now. Maybe later, with a cup of cocoa and some chocolates. Only way to watch that movie, and something that I've never been able to pull off (sadly). So it's time:grin:
My Lord and my God.

Carleendiane

Quote from: Bernadette on March 25, 2017, 08:07:08 AM

Yes, true, maybe I am just stupid brave.

ORATE!!!That is my favorite Willy Wonka. Gene Wilder is much better as Wonka than Jonny Depp. Thanks Orate!

Bernadette

Quote from: Carleendiane on March 25, 2017, 08:11:25 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on March 25, 2017, 08:07:08 AM

Yes, true, maybe I am just stupid brave.

ORATE!!!That is my favorite Willy Wonka. Gene Wilder is much better as Wonka than Jonny Depp. Thanks Orate!

Johnny Depp is too heavy on the creep-factor for me. I think it's the pale skin, long hair, and voice. *shudder.* Gene Wilder doesn't give that impression at all: he seems to appeal to the innocence and wonder of children (qualities which all of the children except Charlie lack, and this lack is precisely what makes them so disagreeable, at least on a level) and thus fits more with my idea of Willy Wonka from the book. Though I think the book probably emphasizes Willy Wonka's "madness" a little more than the movie. Wonka reminds me of Dumbledore in that: "Mad? He's the most brilliant wizard who ever lived! But he is a bit mad, yes."   :D

Plus, I have a partiality for grey (and blue, but that's another story) eyes. And that smile of his is most charming, so those considerations gain Wilder (not Dumbledore) bonus points, in my book. :)
My Lord and my God.

dymphna17

While Gene Wilder IS the mad Willy Wonka, Johnny Depp is just mad because he's dressed up and acts as a bad Willy Wonka.

Yes, Miss Carleen, you are much braver than I if you like lightening.  I liked it until the summer that Hubby and I met.  It was a stormy summer.  One night we were coming back from seeing a movie in the big city.  Just as we were on the outskirts of town, a bolt of lightening hit  just between my side of the car and the train tracks next to the road we were on.  I almost jumped out of my skin and was on Hubby's side of the car before I knew what happened.  We had seen lightening hit fields that were semi-close when we were out on a walk, but there was no comparison with it hitting right next to us.  I've been freaked out by it since.  So Miss Carleen, or should I say, Miss Lightening 2017!?   8)
?

Carleendiane

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 25, 2017, 09:08:18 AM
While Gene Wilder IS the mad Willy Wonka, Johnny Depp is just mad because he's dressed up and acts as a bad Willy Wonka.

Yes, Miss Carleen, you are much braver than I if you like lightening.  I liked it until the summer that Hubby and I met.  It was a stormy summer.  One night we were coming back from seeing a movie in the big city.  Just as we were on the outskirts of town, a bolt of lightening hit  just between my side of the car and the train tracks next to the road we were on.  I almost jumped out of my skin and was on Hubby's side of the car before I knew what happened.  We had seen lightening hit fields that were semi-close when we were out on a walk, but there was no comparison with it hitting right next to us.  I've been freaked out by it since.  So Miss Carleen, or should I say, Miss Lightening 2017!?   8)

One time lightening hit our roof, literally blew inset light fixtures in my ceiling, right out of the ceiling. It caused a small fire in attic and wrecked appliances. Another time it hit the tree right outside my kitchen window. A very old oak. It blew a lot of bark off the tree. Insurance helped. They paid to remove the tree even though I told them I have no plans to do that. They covered the other strike too. So I guess I am a fool hearted lady.