Good Morning!!

Started by Carleendiane, September 22, 2016, 06:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 23, 2017, 11:05:13 AM
Quote from: Bernadette on March 23, 2017, 10:35:02 AM
Quote from: Chestertonian on March 23, 2017, 10:00:05 AM
i've never cared for the Eleanor Roosevelt platitude
So find one that works for you. Or don't. Your choice.  :shrug: I thought it might be helpful, but if it's not, nbd (at least, to me).

Yeah

I appreciate that you were at least trying to help
Good, because my insecurity was starting to tell me that I probably came off as super snarky there and ruined any chance that I could have had of doing you any good whatsoever.  :-[ My brain is working a lot of "overtime" these days, and this insecurity is apparently what happens as a result of it having too much on it's...self.  ::)
My Lord and my God.

maryslittlegarden

Quote from: dymphna17 on March 23, 2017, 10:32:14 AM
Good morning, all!  Has anyone seen maryslittlegarden?  Her coffee iv is here but she is not.  What's up?

Here I am.  On my second round of IV coffee for today.  Possibly should stick with just plain fluids for today though (Stomach flu fun yesterday). 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

dymphna17

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on March 23, 2017, 11:52:34 AM
Good morning, all!  Has anyone seen maryslittlegarden?  Her coffee iv is here but she is not.  What's up?

Here I am.  On my second round of IV coffee for today.  Possibly should stick with just plain fluids for today though (Stomach flu fun yesterday).

Oh, no!  I'm sorry you caught that bug.  It was meant for Congress in DC, but apparently someone shot too far to the left here and you ended up with it.  I've got a cousin up there that needs one, so maybe that's what Hubby was thinking of when he took the shot to send the bug.  That really sucks, mlg.  Are you on a strict coffee and crackers diet, all the while feeling like you would love a great big chocolate cake about now?  Or just reading these words makes you sick?  Either way, prayers for you to feel better soon!   :pray3: :pray2: :pray1:
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph save souls!

Of course I wear jeans, "The tornadoes can make dresses immodest." RSC

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

maryslittlegarden

I'm better today, but kinda just sticking with bland stuff.  Might try some cream of wheat for supper. 
For a Child is born to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counsellor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace

Carleendiane

MLG. We will not tolerate this bug. Sending my son out. He does pest control. He'll set you straight. If you have a pesky coon or possum, he'll take care of that too. No problem.
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Bernadette

Quote from: Carleendiane on March 23, 2017, 01:58:58 PM

MLG. We will not tolerate this bug. Sending my son out. He does pest control. He'll set you straight. If you have a pesky coon or possum, he'll take care of that too. No problem.
Tell me he releases them into the wild.  :'(
My Lord and my God.

dymphna17

Quote from: Chestertonian on March 23, 2017, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: Jayne on March 22, 2017, 06:11:29 PM
Quote from: Chestertonian on March 22, 2017, 05:25:03 PM
Oh for goodness sakes

I know what daycare is and it's condescending of you to act as if I need a dictionary

There's a whole thread here about treating men with respect.

How do you think your husband would appreciate his   wife dropping him off at day care?  Do you think he'd have an easy time with that?  What about your grown sons

Or even daughters or yourself for that matter

I apologize for offending you.  I meant no disrespect.

I would not have a problem with myself or an adult family member attending a day care if we needed it.  I don't see anything inherently demeaning about the term.  I was hoping that my comments would help you to feel better about it.

I shall give you the benefit of the doubt and believe that you did not mean to say anything offensive.  has been a bit difficult to adjust to and still adjusting, I have done adult medical day care in the past,this program is much much much better but I do get hung up on the term because words mean things.  they just do. 

there's what the dictionary says, and there's the colloquial meaning...  let's be honest, most people when they see "day care" think of it as a place for the 0-5 year old crowd. Most people think fingerpainting, circle time, and nursery rhymes--and these are all well and good....for children.

i've never cared for the Eleanor Roosevelt platitude: "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." it always set my BS-ometer off.  I believe words mean things.  If someone calls me a jerk face and I say "Well no one can make me feel like a jerk face without consent, so I'm going to change the meaning of 'jerk face' from 'bad person' to 'upstanding member of society.'"  No, it doesn't work.  I could say "Oh, but the person who called me a jerk face is a jerk face himself, so I don't care about his opinion" and I might be right, but it's different when the people who use the term you find objectionable are the same people who are responsible for your care and you place yourself in their hands for two days a week.  Unfortunately, they do matter.  And the words we use set the tone for the attitudes we have. it's a big reason why I hate the term "Behavioral Health" which is often used as a politically correct substitute for "mental health."  Not only is behavior the tip of the iceberg when it comes to someone's mental health, but for many people with mental illness--their behavior is not the problem.  It's entirely possible to live a "functional" life but feel like crap.

And sometimes using the right words can affirm the humanity of the people you're serving.  I did my undergraduate internship with a place in DC called "L'Arche" which is a christian organization serving people with intellectual disabilities.  There was a house for men and for women--the disabled folks were the "Core Members" because they were the "core" of the organization whereas the assistants only had 1 year commitments to live in the community.  In Geel a town in Belgium and birthplace of St Dymphna and home to a village centered around care for the mentally ill, the mentally ill folks are not"patients" they are "boarders." 

"no one can make you feel inferior without your consent" also puts the burden on the offended person--maybe if they weren't so darn sensitive they wouldn't be offended.   I don't think that institutions that use these terms should be let off so easily. it takes the burden off the person who chose to make the statement, letting them off the hook for considering the implication of their word choice.

I care about my 6 year old son's impression on this most of all.  i try to imagine how it must be for him, today, going downstairs with me and my wife walking me to the van that says "Adult Medical Day Care" on it in big blue letters.  what matters to me is the impression this leaves him with, about his father.  Most boys watch their fathers get ready to go to work in the morning.  my son watches his mom get me ready for "day care" in the morning so she can go to work...and that is how my children are growing up.  What a way to start the day.  in a traditional catholic context, this is nothing but an abomination.

I agree with you Ches.  My Dad was of similar opinion. We drove by a new building that had big silver letters on it that said, "Spring Valley Adult Medical Day Care Center".  I said I had never heard of that before and Dad said, "It makes sense that that is what the pansies would call it.  We all have to be the same.  Men have to be sensitive and basically be women too. Now we're all kids.  The Nursing Home is bad enough, now they want to do day care center?  Don't you ever put me in one of those!"  It was bad enough I had to leave him at the Nursing Home.  But sometimes there isn't anything you can do about things like that.  Take advantage of whatever services they offer and run with it! 
?
I adore Thee O Christ, and I bless Thee, because by Thy holy cross Thou hast redeemed the world!

"Don't waste time in your life trying to get even with your enemies. The grave is a tremendous equalizer. Six weeks after you all are dead, you'll look pretty much the same. Let the Lord take care of those whom you think have harmed you. All you have to do is love and forgive. Try to forget and leave all else to the Master."– Mother Angelica

orate

Quote from: Carleendiane on March 23, 2017, 08:38:22 AM
Quote from: orate on March 23, 2017, 08:23:23 AM

Thanks Orate, but don't you find kitties cuter in a cup? I mean, they fit!

Sorry this is so late.  It's been a busy day.  But today is

NATIONAL PUPPY DAY!!!
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

maryslittlegarden

Good Morning!!!!!! Happy Friday Everyone - no sleeping in today.

orate

Happy Friday, everyone!
I love Thee, Jesus, my love.  Grant me the grace to love Thee always, and do with me what Thou wilt.

"Blame yourself, then change yourself.  That's where we all need to start."   Dr. Louis IX (aka "Dr. Walty")

Carleendiane

Thanks again , Orate. How adorable if I may say so myself. How did you get your hands on my baby pic?
To board the struggle bus: no whining, board with a smile, a fake one will be found out and put off at next stop, no maps, no directions, going only one way, one destination. Follow all rules and you will arrive. Drop off at pearly gate. Bring nothing.

Bernadette

Quote from: Carleendiane on March 24, 2017, 08:28:39 AM
Thanks again , Orate. How adorable if I may say so myself. How did you get your hands on my baby pic?

:lol: This reminds me of the story my grandma told, about when my dad was born. He was premature, and she said he was so hairy he looked like a little monkey. My grandma knew absolutely nothing about babies, and was horrified when the nurse brought him to her. "That's not my baby!?!" Poor grandma!  :rofl:
My Lord and my God.

dymphna17

Quote from: maryslittlegarden on March 24, 2017, 06:52:32 AM
Good Morning!!!!!! Happy Friday Everyone - no sleeping in today.

I'll try to sneak this in under the 'go to bed' radar.  Happy Friday to you too!  Are you feeling better now?  Back to IVing your coffee, I hope.
?

Carleendiane

Quote from: Bernadette on March 23, 2017, 05:38:17 PM
Quote from: Carleendiane on March 23, 2017, 01:58:58 PM

Tell me he releases them into the wild.  :'(

Yes bird they release them unless they are injured in the catching. An injured animal, let go, would be cruel. And they KILL the bugs. Dead.

Bernadette

Hey, all! I'm up!  ;D

It's raining axeheads and hammer handles outside right now; looks like I'm going to need a ride to church this afternoon, if this keeps up.  :eek: Even I don't walk in thunder (and its scarier other-half, lightning).
My Lord and my God.